Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What's the best way to listen?

Asks, ignores and leaves franklin's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    New to the site and just came across this thread. I think the suggestions on portable receivers that include SW etc are a good idea. I have a similar unit in my kit. An external antenna will add tremendous improvement on what you can receive. Antennas used on receivers are not as wavelength dependent as they are for transmitting. A long wire strung to a tree 100 ft away will do a fantastic job. (Assuming the radio has an external antenna connection.) Just be sure to disconnect if lightning is a possibility.

For those that are a little more technical a low cost SDR (software defined radio) might be an option. Using a SDR dongle, wire antenna, and a laptop with the appropriate drivers and software can allow you to tune a wide range of frequencies and modulation types. Even tell if there is transmitted energy in the area. Including digital transmissions that you might not be able to demodulate. (Hear the content.)

This book is a good primer on SDRs and explains how to load the driver used for many of the cheap dongles.

https://www.amazon.com/SDR-Beginners...4&keywords=SDR

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-12-2018),MountainGirl (01-22-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    New to the site and just came across this thread. I think the suggestions on portable receivers that include SW etc are a good idea. I have a similar unit in my kit. An external antenna will add tremendous improvement on what you can receive. Antennas used on receivers are not as wavelength dependent as they are for transmitting. A long wire strung to a tree 100 ft away will do a fantastic job. (Assuming the radio has an external antenna connection.) Just be sure to disconnect if lightning is a possibility.

For those that are a little more technical a low cost SDR (software defined radio) might be an option. Using a SDR dongle, wire antenna, and a laptop with the appropriate drivers and software can allow you to tune a wide range of frequencies and modulation types. Even tell if there is transmitted energy in the area. Including digital transmissions that you might not be able to demodulate. (Hear the content.)

This book is a good primer on SDRs and explains how to load the driver used for many of the cheap dongles.

Hi franklin, thanks for adding the good info to the thread and welcome to the forum
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

franklin (01-12-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post

I thought about turning my old toughbook into an SDR just as a sort of "quick and easy," to use radio that doesn't take up my work bench.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

franklin (01-12-2018)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    It took me a day- or two- to remember I was looking for this. Here is a study guide for the HAM radio technician test. I know the thread is about listening and you don't need a license to do that, but it has some useful starter information about radios and how everything works.

https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/upl...-guide-v20.pdf

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-22-2018),MountainGirl (01-22-2018),Unclefred (01-22-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    It took me a day- or two- to remember I was looking for this. Here is a study guide for the HAM radio technician test. I know the thread is about listening and you don't need a license to do that, but it has some useful starter information about radios and how everything works.

https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/upl...-guide-v20.pdf
    Thanks, Coppertop, appreciate the info
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Coppertop (01-22-2018)

Experimental User

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Hey MountainGirl!

Wish I would’ve been here to see your post way back.

Here is the radio receiver I decided on:

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccra...e_travel_radio

CCrane makes good stuff as know by now...

This little radio is a powerhouse! The main reason I decided on this particular unit is it’s small size. Also, like you, I wanted to be able to listen for entertainment.

Unfortunately, the radio you selected only receives the 2 meter ham band. Which is narrow fm and very much line of sight. You will have to be fairly close to a unit that’s transmitting or a repeater to hear anything.

Being able to receive regular am fm and noaa wx is always nice and can be informative as these stations are relatively close by. However, the real fun is listening to distant stations. The SKYWAVE receives 2300 - 26100 kHz shortwave. I’m listening to China Radio International (in English) on 13740 kHz being transmitted from Quivicán Cuba as I type this. I can receive shortwave stations from all over the world without needing any type of external antenna. This radio also receives the air band (as in aviation) in addition to regular am fm and noaa wx.

Anyway, I love it! And it’s very affordable... I plan on purchasing a second one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeTango For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-17-2018),MountainGirl (08-19-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 14,733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

MikeTango (08-17-2018)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789