Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawg's Bambi in a jar canned vension

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Mountaingirl use this recipe for canning venison or beef.

You can also just cold pack it and skip the browning part to make it quicker. No freezer no problem start putting up some jars.
    The same with hamburger? Stuff it in a jar, fill with water, and pressure cook? Wouldn't the pressure cooking cook the meat?
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (04-28-2020),MountainGirl (04-28-2020),RubberDuck (04-28-2020),shootbrownelk (04-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    The same with hamburger? Stuff it in a jar, fill with water, and pressure cook? Wouldn't the pressure cooking cook the meat?
    If you cold pack no broth needed. The meat makes its own juices. Yeah ground beef in a jar is very good.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (04-28-2020),MountainGirl (04-28-2020),RubberDuck (04-28-2020),shootbrownelk (04-28-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Ok - I gotta go buy a pressure canner; hope I can find one.
    I have a waterbath/steamer canner, love it. Still cool enough to do this inside in the mornings, too.
    The meat pretty much comes out cooked - and it'd be mostly going in stews etc so that's no problem.
    I'm thinking hamburger... with a little salt maybe. Is non-iodized okay? I use that for cure, but I can buy pickling salt if need be.

I bet cheap cuts go tender tender - yum!!

THANKS GUYS !!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (04-28-2020),shootbrownelk (04-28-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,256 Times in 5,903 Posts
    I use the same recipe. I did cold pack and the browning method. When I brown the venison I usually add onions & garlic. And I also add canning or sea salt. No Morton's table salt. Although it's more work, I prefer the browning method and I too eat it right out of the jar.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-29-2020),MountainGirl (04-29-2020),RubberDuck (04-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I use the same recipe. I did cold pack and the browning method. When I brown the venison I usually add onions & garlic. And I also add canning or sea salt. No Morton's table salt. Although it's more work, I prefer the browning method and I too eat it right out of the jar.
    Yup me too I prefer the browning over cold pack.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (04-29-2020),shootbrownelk (04-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Ok - I gotta go buy a pressure canner; hope I can find one.
    I have a waterbath/steamer canner, love it. Still cool enough to do this inside in the mornings, too.
    The meat pretty much comes out cooked - and it'd be mostly going in stews etc so that's no problem.
    I'm thinking hamburger... with a little salt maybe. Is non-iodized okay? I use that for cure, but I can buy pickling salt if need be.

I bet cheap cuts go tender tender - yum!!

THANKS GUYS !!
    The salt is just for flavor in this method. Do not use iodized salt or pickling salt. Use kosher. Yes very very tender.

Get a pressure canner with a weighted gage if you can. Then you don't ever have to test the dial gage. And the pressure and time may change with your elevation.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (04-29-2020),MountainGirl (04-29-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    The salt is just for flavor in this method. Do not use iodized salt or pickling salt. Use kosher. Yes very very tender.

Get a pressure canner with a weighted gage if you can. Then you don't ever have to test the dial gage. And the pressure and time may change with your elevation.
    Will do. Gonna call around this am to see if one is available. If I cant find a good one, I'll wait until I can; all done buying cheap crap. Plus, got my stimulus money this am and it's already burning a hole in my pocket. (-:

Thanks again for your help, Hawg.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-29-2020),Innkeeper (04-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Will do. Gonna call around this am to see if one is available. If I cant find a good one, I'll wait until I can; all done buying cheap crap. Plus, got my stimulus money this am and it's already burning a hole in my pocket. (-:

Thanks again for your help, Hawg.
    You guys got me fired up I'm going to raw pack some beef today. I'm pretty happy with my 16 gt Presto canner from china mart.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (04-29-2020),RubberDuck (04-29-2020)

Well there goes another 220.00 bucks. Cold packed 8 pint jars some shaved beef and some cubes with a teaspoon kosher salt 1 clove garlic and 1 wild leek (ramp) 10 lbs pressure for 75 minutes.

And train kept a-rollin all nite long.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (04-29-2020),RubberDuck (04-29-2020),StratBastard (04-29-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    You guys got me fired up I'm going to raw pack some beef today. I'm pretty happy with my 16 gt Presto canner from china mart.
    Is this the one?
    https://www.amazon.com/Presto-1755-1...8199452&sr=8-2
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (04-30-2020)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast