Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Clueless Delusional 'Preppers'

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts

Clueless Delusional 'Preppers'

It's astonishing to read some of the posts of people in prepper forums who think they are prepping for SHTF. I'm not talking about folks who homestead, or put up a large food supply, or stock tons of ammo/weapons...but even some of them...

I'm talking about those who live near, or in the middle of, 1,000+ population and up and think they will survive.

I wasn't born yet during the Depression - but my Aunt lived through it, in a city, and she spoke of the gardens in their (and everybody's) back yards, and how they got by. People today are the farthest from being self-sufficient - not only to feed themselves but in mentality too. Expecting rescue, expecting others to provide. Believing their neighbors will feed them, or wont steal their food. Not gonna happen.

But the really astonishing thing is they think well, if a nuke or EMP hits far enough away, we'll be okay here in our city...WRONG! Before the 'cloud' even dissipates, everything will stop. There will be no more shipments of food from one part of the country to another; I don't need to explain why that is.

I get that not everyone can move out of population centers. What I don't get is why they think they'll survive with, you know, a little food & guns on hand. Delusional. Clueless.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-06-2018),buckfynn (01-16-2018),Camel923 (01-06-2018),Dwight55 (01-07-2018),Inor (01-06-2018),Mister Mills (01-06-2018),rstanek (01-07-2018),RubberDuck (01-06-2018),shootbrownelk (01-06-2018),StratBastard (09-29-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    This one is too easy to play devil's advocate, so I will line up first, with a realistic worldview.

Delusional and clueless? Perhaps not. Life is filled with trade offs.

You seem to be suggesting that anyone who has not chosen a life of solitude (like you and Tom) and lives in/near a population of 1,000 plus should just say screw it. Preparing for a SHTF event can have many levels of preparedness and intent, other that long term survival. Some may want to soften the blow, lengthen the survivability chances or even go out on their own terms etc. .... I would suggest that your situation carries no guarantees as well. One thing is certain, life is sure unpredictable.

I would also think that an acceptable trade off for many who are prioritizing life's pleasure's such as career, entertainment, social activities, conveniences, and luxuries along with a preparedness mindset and a timeline that fits into their lifespan .... that a middle of the road approach delivers acceptable odds. As with everything in this life, it usually boils down to the math.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-06-2018),Camel923 (01-06-2018),Inor (01-06-2018),juskom95 (01-08-2018),lopie (12-29-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018),Sasquatch (01-08-2018),Sparkyprep (01-07-2018),StratBastard (09-29-2019)

The whole "prepping" mantra is humorous to me. Most of this new movement of turds through a fan, emp blah blah blah is kinda funny to me. I chuckle quite often at the tinfoil hat crowd as they wrap up and secure their electronics blah blah blah.

Good lord I don't need no stinken electronics if turds break the fan blades. I don't need a prepper high rise with like minded nutcases.

Did my grandparents wrap their cell phones and tablets in prep for emp blah blah blah? No they didn't. Do I ? Hell no. People are such wimps today that they worry about elctronics ha!

To tell ya the truth I dont worry about any of it. When its my time its my time the good lord will decide that.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-06-2018),Inor (01-06-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018),OSFG (01-06-2018),rice paddy daddy (01-21-2018),RubberDuck (01-06-2018),shootbrownelk (01-06-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    When its my time its my time the good lord will decide that.
    There is nothing that can be said, that is closer to the truth than this ^^^^^^. No one gets to play God, but you can sometimes and with intent, play the odds. There are hard core preppers who devote their entire being to a survival worldview and their are others who use it as a smart preparedness life style. However let's not forget that all of us have individual interests that we fill our spare time with; motorcycles, travel, cars, camping, entertainment etc.. and even prepping. Whatever grabs one's fancy, huh?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-06-2018),hawgrider (01-06-2018),juskom95 (01-08-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018),RubberDuck (01-06-2018),shootbrownelk (01-06-2018)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.
    ^ that's my own quote^

its a matter of time that history will repeat its self
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-06-2018),hawgrider (01-06-2018),Inor (01-06-2018),juskom95 (01-08-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018),RWalls (01-06-2018),shootbrownelk (01-06-2018),StratBastard (09-29-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is GOD who will decide my fate and help me. I also think it's prudent to obtain the knowledge available to help yourself out
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-06-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018),RubberDuck (01-06-2018),shootbrownelk (01-06-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    A few years ago,I got bit by the "prepper bug". Starting planning, stocking up, looking for better locaztions,etc.,especially with Barry in office.
    While I still keep working to maintain myself and Mrs TJC over a longer than normal "incident", I have tempered my goals somewhat to align my plans with realities, such as her health, budgets, employment, etc.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-06-2018),hawgrider (01-06-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    This one is too easy to play devil's advocate, so I will line up first, with a realistic worldview.

Delusional and clueless? Perhaps not. Life is filled with trade offs.

You seem to be suggesting that anyone who has not chosen a life of solitude (like you and Tom) and lives in/near a population of 1,000 plus should just say screw it.
    Not at all, but they can take that approach if they want. I've admittedly got a thing for informed choices. Choose whatever you want, but don't base it on invalid information. Like 'oh, the govt will take care of us' etc. Even if that was the govt's well meaning (or not) intent - the math says the capability is not there.

Here's part of a recent post from elsewhere:

...the idea that a nuclear exchange will leave the globe a glowing Christmas ornament, devoid of life, is a myth. Even with modern nukes, many of us have a very good chance at survival. Not just surviving but thriving, if we stay positive, and are proactive. ...
    The first sentence is probably valid, imo, and if it's not nobody will be around to worry about it...so okay so far. But the rest of it doesn't seem to take into account the actions of the survivors... and it's the mentality of today's wired-in survivors - as compared to the mentality and skillsets people used to have - and the more that are around you from the start, the worse it will be.

Preparing for a SHTF event can have many levels of preparedness and intent, other that long term survival. Some may want to soften the blow, lengthen the survivability chances or even go out on their own terms etc. .... I would suggest that your situation carries no guarantees as well. One thing is certain, life is sure unpredictable.
    Agree totally that our situation has no guarantees. I cant even promise you we'll survive this winter. And you have a valid point about not assuming why others prep; their reasons are their own and are fine, imo, as long as their decisions are based on something realistic.

I would also think that an acceptable trade off for many who are prioritizing life's pleasure's such as career, entertainment, social activities, conveniences, and luxuries along with a preparedness mindset and a timeline that fits into their lifespan .... that a middle of the road approach delivers acceptable odds. As with everything in this life, it usually boils down to the math.
    Yeah, trade offs. For me, it was never the math, it was heart. My grandmother used to say, It's not life's problems that are so damn hard; it's life's choices. For most of my life I chose to live in an environment I abhorred to be near the ones I loved. It was only after most of them were gone that I was able to live where I thrive...(and brought the remaining loved one along with me, lol).

Always trade-offs. Only we can set our own priorities, and sometimes it's not an easy choice; but for me it damn well better be an informed one if I have to make a choice, and live with it.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (01-06-2018),juskom95 (01-08-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    I like most of the comments on here so far. This matches up with my belief structure very well. In the end it is most of us who delude our selves into some self gratifying state of "Oh yeah, I'm ready"

Some people I know think because they live next to a federal park or state Park that they have easy sustainable hunting and fishing after a SHTF situation. In my mind I see 2, 000 fishing poles lined up around that lake, people shitting all over the place, wild game being driven away from the water source, and folks accidentally or intentionally shooting one another every other day.

Do you know what one of the main drivers of expansion out of the original colonies into areas such as Tennessee and Kentucky were based on? Finding new hunting grounds, because the ones closer had been hunted out. And that was with a very small population.

Those of you out in the Arizona, Utah, New mexico area... How much actual gardenable ground do you see there that is not completely reliant on irrigation through water pumping apparatus? How much wild game do you think is actually in those sparsely vegetated areas? Now imagine your local population growing by a factor of about 5 to 10 based on relatives and extended family of people living in those areas coming home to be in a "Remote" area away from harm.

I prep my mind. I will live a fairly nomadic life through any severe SHTF event. Moving from place to place, trying to stay ahead of populous movements. I will use my brain to survive and keep my family alive, until I get to my final area. Then I will fiercely defend that from others who want to enter it. All I know is that anyone who thinks that have a plan for SHTF better learn a thing or two about realities of life. A plan rarely survives the first contact....Knowing the intent and end state does.

my2c
    Last edited by OSFG; 01-06-2018 at 12:26 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-08-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    The whole "prepping" mantra is humorous to me. Most of this new movement of turds through a fan, emp blah blah blah is kinda funny to me. I chuckle quite often at the tinfoil hat crowd as they wrap up and secure their electronics blah blah blah.

Good lord I don't need no stinken electronics if turds break the fan blades. I don't need a prepper high rise with like minded nutcases.

Did my grandparents wrap their cell phones and tablets in prep for emp blah blah blah? No they didn't. Do I ? Hell no. People are such wimps today that they worry about elctronics ha!

To tell ya the truth I dont worry about any of it. When its my time its my time the good lord will decide that.
    Excellent post! And not just cause I agree, though I do. Our way of life up here is by choice, rather than a SHTF mindset, so our 'preps' are normal for being snowed in months at a time... good supply of wood, food, hand tools (if there's not enough sun & run out of gen gas, etc). My only EMP prep is that waterbucket thing to drop in the well. It's an exhausting s.o.b. to haul water up here in the summers from either the lake 5mi away (if p/u is runnin), or the pond 300' below (if it's not). Tom did that for 8 yrs before me, I did it for 2. Winter snow is a gift.

My turn to play devil's advocate, lol.

Other than your family, who I assume you'd let in, how many starving folks will be crawling your way, and will you shoot them when they reach your gate?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-06-2018)

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast