Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to listen?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts

What's the best way to listen?

Seeking advice and product recommendations for a radio set-up.

We do not want or need to transmit, only listen to the mayhem post SHTF, on as many frequencies as might be out there.

There is a good high spot 100' from the cabin, with an unlimited view for 270-degrees (there's higher mountains behind us) to set up an antenna(s).

All thoughts welcome and very much appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

DerBiermeister (12-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Why don't you want the ability to transmit?

The setup for either probably wouldn't be that different.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-15-2017),MountainGirl (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Why don't you want the ability to transmit?

The setup for either probably wouldn't be that different.
    No need. We're an army of two; hunkered, self-sustaining & very remote. Knowing whats happening would be entertaining at the least; wouldn't rely on the validity of anything we heard, however.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    No need. We're an army of two; hunkered, self-sustaining & very remote. Knowing whats happening would be entertaining at the least; wouldn't rely on the validity of anything we heard, however.
    You should reconsider that.
    If you're running 100 ft of coax ANYWAY, being able to communicate with friendlies, close or distant, is an asset. Whether it be by voice, digital mode, or CW.
    Different bands have different antenna requirements. You would not use a long wire to hear SATCOM, and you wouldn't use a dish to hear HF/VHF.

JM2C
    TJC
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-15-2017),juskom95 (12-15-2017),MountainGirl (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    If you're running 100 ft of coax ANYWAY, being able to communicate with friendlies, close or distant, is an asset. Whether it be by voice, digital mode, or CW.
    Different bands have different antenna requirements. You would not use a long wire to hear SATCOM, and you wouldn't use a dish to hear HF/VHF.

JM2C
    TJC
    I'm not an expert on VHF/UHF, but I don't think the cost would be that different, would it?
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post

JM2C
    TJC
    We have considered it; for our situation transmitting isn't gonna happen. I appreciate your suggestion though, very much. Yeah, I imagine there'll be a few antennas up the hill, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I'm not an expert on VHF/UHF, but I don't think the cost would be that different, would it?
    I've just started looking but so far transceivers are quite a bit more than just a receiver/radio. We'll pay for quality in what we want, but cost still plays in some.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I've just started looking but so far transceivers are quite a bit more than just a receiver/radio. We'll pay for quality in what we want, but cost still plays in some.
    I know there are HAMfests in some areas, you might be able to pick up some decent used gear.

COFFEE!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-15-2017),MountainGirl (12-15-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    I could never get into ham because the FCC will hunt me down after 2 minutes of my stupidity on air
    I could do nothing but sandbag
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (12-15-2017),Innkeeper (12-15-2017),Kfilly (03-18-2018),MountainGirl (12-15-2017),Sparkyprep (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate the fact that you and your mate want to be stand-alone, self sufficient preppers in SHTF. But, in my opinion, two people, alone, against the entire world simply wont last long, and is impractical. Humans, as well as many other species, survive, thrive, and are successfull because of our social abilities. Communities are one main reason that humans became the dominant species on Earth. No one can know how to do everything, all the time. To survive SHTF, you are going to need knowledge, supplies, and resources that you simply dont have, but a trusted friend might. You will eventually need to be able to call for help.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-16-2017),juskom95 (12-15-2017),MountainGirl (12-15-2017),TJC44 (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    There are enough dual band VHF/UHF radios and antennas out there to make that a fairly simple setup, RX or RX/TX. As you add in more bands, or different modes, the complexity rises. More antennae, more coax, more complex radios, etc., etc.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (12-15-2017)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast