Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to remove a dead deer from your property.

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    When I lived in Wisconsin some 35 years ago, I knew a guy who would drive around looking for road kill deer. He also had friends call him when they spotted one. Honest to God...I was with him one day going on a duck hunt when we came across a road kill deer that had evidently been dead for quite a spell. He got up to the bloated deer and proclaimed "The Loins are still Good". He stuck his knife into the critters hide to skin out the loins and a stream/gyser of stinking odor came out with a WHOOSH! I stepped back to escape the stink but he removed the backstraps and put them in a bag. I had my truck and I made him put that rotten crap in the open box. Everytime we slowed down I could smell them.....YUCK! He took them home and (he said) he soaked them in salt water and they tasted great. I heard that he passed away last year, and I wonder if his eating habits had anything to do with it.
    I have no problem eating fresh road kill. I used to have a county sheriff friend drop them off at my home during the wee hours of the night.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (01-09-2018),shootbrownelk (01-10-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Around Tyler Island we call that a Predator Trap... Set up about 100 yards downwind from it around dusk and wait for the yotes to show up.

The more bloated and stinky the BETTER.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-09-2018),shootbrownelk (01-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I heard that he passed away last year, and I wonder if his eating habits had anything to do with it.
    You can bet that his eating habits did not go unpunished by nature, he must have come down with infections, or something. A person does not get away with violating sanitary rules of behavior. And that sounds pretty unsanitary.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (01-10-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,262 Times in 5,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mills View Post
    You can bet that his eating habits did not go unpunished by nature, he must have come down with infections, or something. A person does not get away with violating sanitary rules of behavior. And that sounds pretty unsanitary.
    After smelling what he considered "Table Fare"...there is no way in hell that I could force myself to partake. PU

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (01-12-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Idk, that's why possums are immune to EVERYTHING. Cuz they eat crap, dead anything been rotting for weeks from a rabies or hantavirus death.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This one is in my freezer now, I shot it in the head as it was still alive, most of the time I leave it on the fence to gut and butcher it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	4157
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWalls For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-12-2018),Mister Mills (01-12-2018),RubberDuck (01-12-2018),Walter Tyler (01-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RWalls View Post
    Idk, that's why possums are immune to EVERYTHING. Cuz they eat crap, dead anything been rotting for weeks from a rabies or hantavirus death.
    Someone asked me to get a opossum out of a garbage can once. It was in her can, and she did not want to go near it. When I looked into the can, it hissed; and it was an ugly beastie, so I got rough. I took the can and I heaved it up the hillside (I was in Kentucky) and it came rolling back down. When the opossum came out, it did not know up from down, and it wobbled away and lived. I will kill one in a minute, if I need to; I don't like them, and they are filthy garbage scows, with legs.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Yes, but I hear tell that opossums kill and eat ticks, and are immune to rabies.
    Now, I have found one with his head stuck under a fence, and while trying to get him loose, he scratched my new slip on cowboy boots (nice brown leather ones), so I kicked him in his teeth.
    He didn't seem to mind, they are pretty tough..
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

RWalls (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Surprised those bags hold the weight when transporting. I worked in wildlife control for quite awhile and did some nasty shit. Currently work at a deer ranch but its alot easier to just use a tractor bucket and haul them to the back now.

And you dont wear some kind of boots? haha
    Last edited by sigmund; 01-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Thread Killer .................................................. .......................

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (01-18-2018)

Occasionally Replies Back 12vman's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Someone asked me to get a opossum out of a garbage can once. It was in her can, and she did not want to go near it. When I looked into the can, it hissed; and it was an ugly beastie, so I got rough. I took the can and I heaved it up the hillside (I was in Kentucky) and it came rolling back down. When the opossum came out, it did not know up from down, and it wobbled away and lived. I will kill one in a minute, if I need to; I don't like them, and they are filthy garbage scows, with legs.

Possums are the one thing that I shoot or run over on sight.......no questions asked...dead
    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons...

Sometimes we snuggle

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 12vman For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (01-20-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast