Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "If I'm not here" binder

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    That's great, guys - and can I make a suggestion, from a woman's perspective?

The tutorials are great reminders, for if/when the situation is a bit intense, but hands-on learning is better.

I'd never hooked up a propane tank. Seen it done a couple times decades ago, but that was it. First time up here, I watched Tom. Next two times, I changed it with him standing right there. Now, I can do it unafraid. (I have a very healthy respect for things that can go boom.) I could have had the best detailed how-to manual in the world...and without that hands on first - I would have have never tried to do it. Period. Let me know if you need other examples.

If I might suggest - next time you're home, go blow out the pilot light on the HW tank. Let her watch you light it, then blow it out. Then stand and teach her, with her doing it. Then blow it out again, then she lights it with you standing silent. Then, when it goes out while you're not there - your most awesome tutorials will remind her how to do what she's already done a few times. Knowledge is one thing, confidence another. You can give her both.
    A great example MG as those can be tricky based on weather. Showing them how to warm it up prior to lighting it and walking away is a great idea. Other things are things like water shut off points. Gas shutoff points, tools, and how to do it.

Again a great thread because some of us might overlook the simple things as we are planning to conquer the world, and have our family be unable to use what you have prepared for them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-14-2018),Walter Tyler (01-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    A great example MG as those can be tricky based on weather. Showing them how to warm it up prior to lighting it and walking away is a great idea. Other things are things like water shut off points. Gas shutoff points, tools, and how to do it.

Again a great thread because some of us might overlook the simple things as we are planning to conquer the world, and have our family be unable to use what you have prepared for them.
    Thanks, OSFG, and RockDoc? I wasn't disparaging the manual at all, both it and hands-on for some things are needed. Directions to the panel box dont need walking through, lol, but for me sometimes even that might be helpful - especially as the memory goes in my advanced years. :insert pic of crazy old woman with cane: I'm blessed that I'm the 'family' you guys (i.e. my Tom) protects, teaches, prepares, loves. Threads like this make that possible. Glad you're here, RockDoc
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

RockDoc (01-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    I do have something similar that I have compiled and copied to a micro sd card my wife could use in her phone if necessary.

RocDoc you gave me some ideas to add to it....thanks.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The book series is called "A borrowed World" Series by Franklin Horton. The first book is really the only on relevant to the binder, but overall it's a pretty good read.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
    -Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RockDoc For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (01-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    When Mrs Inor and I first started thinking about being self-sufficient (around 1998-99 timeframe), we put together a set of 3-ring binders about a bunch of subjects. Each major subject was in its own binder (First Aid, Cooking, Sanitation, Food Storage, Woodworking, Metalworking, etc.). We add to them as we discover something useful and they now cover two full bookshelves in my office.

But in terms of actual skills that I have and could outline for her, she already knows everything I know, plus some. For the last 7+ months, we have been building a house. When I say "we are building a house", I mean WE are building it. This is not our first rodeo. Prior to beginning this adventure, we spent the previous 20 years remodeling every square inch (inside and out) of the previous house we owned.

In both projects, she has stood shoulder-to-shoulder with me doing every bit of the work I have done. In most of the cases, we have learned together and taught each other. There are VERY few men (and NO millenials) that I would trust as much as Mrs Inor to be swinging a hammer next to me.

This is not say Mrs Inor is a bull-dyke. She is not. She is definitely a girly-girl. But she knows her way around a toolbox and she can shoot the asshole out of a rat at 100 yards. I think I am sitting pretty good if I peg out.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Coppertop (02-06-2018),MountainGirl (01-15-2018),RockDoc (01-15-2018),Sparkyprep (01-15-2018),Walter Tyler (01-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    At home I have laminated "quick start" guides with photos and circles n arrows n stuff attached to the crap that AINT automated.

At work I have the "OH Shit Walt aint here binder"... It literally says that on the spine. It has instructions on what do to if something big goes down and I cant be reached.
    How to secure the building, operate emergency radios, ect... The normal insurance stuff has its own binder, Evac plans, incident reports, bad weather hunkerdowns...

Great Idea to have info readily available to folks that dont operate stuff all the time... sometimes there are hints n tricks to things that arent in the Operators Manual.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-15-2018),RockDoc (01-15-2018)

Occasionally Replies Back

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    When we started our lifestyle as being prepared this was a must for the household, having a go to book although will admit some things the wife refuses to do unless put into a position that she has to do it.

The book also goes through changes, kids leave the nest and age.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toefoot For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-15-2018),RockDoc (01-15-2018)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    This idea is pretty cool. I have a binder with things I don't usually do. Having access to hard copies of these things would be pretty handy. I guess I feel like if the electricity is out, one of the last things I am going to worry about charging is an electronic device. I also think that at some point the electronics are going to fail and without any way to "reload" - that stuff will be lost. I hope that makes sense.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    Rockdoc.... I have used them all my adult life, in the military (we refer to them as SOP's or other names like hand-over packets), but I have yet to really put together something for my wife and kids. I too Travel a lot, so I will take your post to heart and start working on that...Good Post.

Cause Lord knows Mrs. OSFG can't tell a pair of pliers from a crescent wrench, but she can tell me what to do.
    This would have been helpful when I was a newly married private (if I were still in, it might be part of the old pre-deployment unofficial 'talks,') but now, my wife is so used to me having to pick up and leave for weeks/months/years at a time, she can handle most things for long enough.

Might still have to put on together for the important things.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    At home I have laminated "quick start" guides with photos and circles n arrows n stuff attached to the crap that AINT automated.

At work I have the "OH Shit Walt aint here binder"... It literally says that on the spine. It has instructions on what do to if something big goes down and I cant be reached.
    How to secure the building, operate emergency radios, ect... The normal insurance stuff has its own binder, Evac plans, incident reports, bad weather hunkerdowns...

Great Idea to have info readily available to folks that dont operate stuff all the time... sometimes there are hints n tricks to things that arent in the Operators Manual.
    Aahhh - the laminated cards - excellent, VERY excellent idea.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
    -Twain

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockDoc For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-16-2018),Walter Tyler (01-16-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12