Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disaster Comms

Asks, ignores and leaves franklin's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    To SDRs, I'vve now got 5. Best is an SDRplay. I have several of the very cheap dongles but they can't tune below 28 MHz. Not bad though for $25. The SDRplays run $100 to $200 depending on model. With those I can tune HF and SW. You do need a good antenna though.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-16-2018),Walter Tyler (01-16-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    You do need a good antenna though.
    An antenna is a problem for me. Overhead powerlines right in the way where I would need to put an antenna.

I've been out of the 'radio,' game for too long, so its all a bit rusty.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

franklin (01-16-2018),Walter Tyler (01-16-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    An antenna is a problem for me. Overhead powerlines right in the way where I would need to put an antenna.
    For an SDR you don't need an antenna like you might for transmitting on amateur radio. Can buy a cheap matching transformer from Ebay (China) and us a long piece of wire strung down a hallway or such. Again, magnet wire will work for this. So it's cheap to try out.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-16-2018),Walter Tyler (01-16-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    For an SDR you don't need an antenna like you might for transmitting on amateur radio. Can buy a cheap matching transformer from Ebay (China) and us a long piece of wire strung down a hallway or such. Again, magnet wire will work for this. So it's cheap to try out.
    I have this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for TV right now.

I also have this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) because I was up on the roof. It isn't connected to anything. It was cheap and I threw it up there for a radio that never got put in.

This might be my project when the weather clears up. I have a metal sled on the roof which works out great.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

franklin (01-16-2018),Walter Tyler (01-16-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I'm getting tired of this weather. I have a 22 foot vertical antenna coming this week and it's going to get planted in the middle of the back yard on Saturday. At least I can play with that until the grass grows and needs cutting. Then the antenna will have to go on the roof. Not into roof walking at 18 degrees and snow covered. Let alone wind.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:

buckfynn (01-23-2018),Coppertop (02-06-2018),juskom95 (01-16-2018),Walter Tyler (01-16-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12