Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For You Paratroopers

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,645 Times in 1,326 Posts

For You Paratroopers

During basic, my drill sergeant asked me if I wanted to go to airborne school. My response, one that came out too fast to have run through the filter all trainees knew to run all words through, earned me a whole lot of pushups.

Too all you lunatics who think jumping out of planes is the best way to enter a battlefield...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denton For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-08-2014),OSFG (08-08-2014),rice paddy daddy (08-07-2014),Ricekila (05-19-2016)

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    My drill sergeant told me "There ain't but two things that come out of the sky - birdshit and fools".
    Later on I did volunteer for airborne, but luckily they said my eyesight wasn't good enough.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-08-2014)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Back in 1989 I received a letter in Korea telling me I was being asked if I would like a position in the newly being formed 2/160th at Hunter AAF in Georgia. As a good Hooker Crew Chief the first response out of my mouth was "there is no reason to jump out of a Perfectly Good Aircraft" because one of the requirements listed was going to Airborne school. I declined and that was where My uncle ended up retiring from he started in 1/160th at Campbell, and tried for years to get me to change my mind, while tempting my knees are bad enough without jumping.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-08-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    Back in 1989 I received a letter in Korea telling me I was being asked if I would like a position in the newly being formed 2/160th at Hunter AAF in Georgia. As a good Hooker Crew Chief the first response out of my mouth was "there is no reason to jump out of a Perfectly Good Aircraft" because one of the requirements listed was going to Airborne school. I declined and that was where My uncle ended up retiring from he started in 1/160th at Campbell, and tried for years to get me to change my mind, while tempting my knees are bad enough without jumping.
    I always hated the mandatory yearly brief they made me go to for the 160th, and Delta. Took a lot of NCOs away from the flightline who were not interested in the program anyway. It is my understanding they have changed the briefings to a voluntary basis now.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsdmmat For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-08-2014),Ricekila (05-19-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    It is possible I got out of aviation Back in 1995 , and was just medically retired due to acquired injuries, but there is always a shortage in Aviation, especially in Chinooks, though back in 07 we got a request to our unit for 13P who wanted to volunteer for Korea due to a shortage of qualified FDC's.

Plus "voluntary" is not always so I volunteered once for a combat outpost detachment in '06 while I was home on RR because my chief remembered all my MOS's and knew I would happily want to help out.

SO I would take that understanding with a grain of salt.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-08-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    It is possible I got out of aviation Back in 1995 , and was just medically retired due to acquired injuries, but there is always a shortage in Aviation, especially in Chinooks, though back in 07 we got a request to our unit for 13P who wanted to volunteer for Korea due to a shortage of qualified FDC's.

Plus "voluntary" is not always so I volunteered once for a combat outpost detachment in '06 while I was home on RR because my chief remembered all my MOS's and knew I would happily want to help out.

SO I would take that understanding with a grain of salt.
    I always loved being Voluntold.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dsdmmat For This Useful Post:

Denton (08-08-2014),Innkeeper (08-08-2014),omegabrock (08-08-2014),OSFG (08-08-2014),Ricekila (05-19-2016)

Thanks
    AIRBORNE! "no reason to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft" - unless you know the air force is flying it lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to omegabrock For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (05-19-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,645 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabrock View Post
    AIRBORNE! "no reason to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft" - unless you know the air force is flying it lol
    My dive buddy was a ranger and jump master back in the 70's. He remembers being told by the load master to get everyone off the plane ASAP because the plane was having "issues."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denton For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (08-08-2014),Ricekila (05-19-2016)

Thanks
    hahaha...at bragg i had a jump master that would simulate 'issues' by having us jump on red because...and i quote "you never know what they'll **** up"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omegabrock For This Useful Post:

Gunn (06-18-2016),Ricekila (05-19-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabrock View Post
    I was a hooker, I ran more then one jump mission out of a helo. Any fool can fly a plane the best pilots fly Helo's and the Elite Fly Chinooks.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (08-08-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast