Thread: Security cameras

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

Security cameras

So I have an inexpensive security camera set up, Camera have irs but just not quite strong enough night time vision. I'm looking to get a couple of better cameras to extend there range. Anyone have any recommendations of really good cameras??? I would like to add one at a time. I want to also put my security cameras on a battery/converter/solar setup 24/7. This will help me avoid problems like I had last night when the power is out.

This morning I found tire tracks in the yard where they made a complete circle off the main road. I assume they thought the generator was still out after dark and would just grab it and take off. I have a security light on the main pole but with no electric it wasn't much good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (02-12-2018),RockDoc (02-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can buy those infrared LED set up's to extend the range of the night vision on the camera. Night Owl makes good cameras I have several.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RWalls For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (02-09-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I've got an EZViz setup with the 4 1080 cameras. I'm pretty happy with them. The night vision is fair. But better than some Samsung ones that I had before.

Both were the power over Ethernet ones- poe.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
    -Twain

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    OH gets hard winters, which means some of the battery options won't last long.

What's your budget?
    What's your physical situation (hardwired or wireless)?
    What features do you need and what features do youwant?

I run CAT5E POE cameras at my house, connected to a server in my basement. The downside is that I have to run cables to each camera, but I do not have to worry about batteries dying or interference from other wireless signals. The biggest limiter is your budget and the weather; rain and cold tear up electronics.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (02-12-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    OH gets hard winters, which means some of the battery options won't last long.

What's your budget?
    What's your physical situation (hardwired or wireless)?
    What features do you need and what features do youwant?

I run CAT5E POE cameras at my house, connected to a server in my basement. The downside is that I have to run cables to each camera, but I do not have to worry about batteries dying or interference from other wireless signals. The biggest limiter is your budget and the weather; rain and cold tear up electronics.
    I'm using hardwired cameras right now with no plans to change. I don't have the system hooked up to the internet and have no plans too in the future. Although my cameras do very well in the day time they only cover about 1/3 of there daytime view at night with a light on the main pole at the road. So right now I have no idea of my budget plans. I want to be able to put a couple of post lights (LED) in the yard so we always have some light on when the power is out. Plus who knows in a STTF moment I can monitor some outside since our home is completely in the basement.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (02-12-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I'm using hardwired cameras right now with no plans to change. I don't have the system hooked up to the internet and have no plans too in the future. Although my cameras do very well in the day time they only cover about 1/3 of there daytime view at night with a light on the main pole at the road. So right now I have no idea of my budget plans. I want to be able to put a couple of post lights (LED) in the yard so we always have some light on when the power is out. Plus who knows in a STTF moment I can monitor some outside since our home is completely in the basement.
    These are what I use (I can't pull a picture of their screen because I'm at work)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...resistant.html

Not bad, not great, somewhere in the middle. I've had them up for/through two winters now and the only problem I've encountered is slight fogging on one (rarely) and a spider which likes to build a web in the field of view. Night vision is not great, but it is usable; I have these beneath/behind motion sensor lights which work out good. There is a slight (half to second) transition from day to night, but they work well enough.

The only downside is that these are IP cameras, so they need a server to save onto; though they do support SD cards also, and both can be used at once (different settings for each). They do chew up internal network bandwidth some, so if you don't have a gigabit switch they might be an issue.

One note though: DO NOT BUY THESE FROM AMAZON they sell the Chinese knock-offs.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (02-12-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    +1 on the Hikvision EXCELLENT VALUE...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (02-12-2018)