Thread: "charcuterie" - preserving meat

Threaded View

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

"charcuterie" - preserving meat

I have been reading up on making charcuterie. This is making proscuettio (sp), salami, fresh sausages. Has anyone here made any of those? I still fight making the perfect jerky so I don't know why I am trying something new- but what the hell.

The guy I have been reading states you need to make a "chamber" with a heater and a humidifier and purchase a bunch of thermometers etc to do this.
    I read another guy who said to hang it up in your basement and let it sit for a year. As long as it doesn't get black mold you are ok? Would a light smoke help - these are big chunks of meat, so you wouldn't ever get smoke to the center.

How strong are hog casings? I know you can't stuff a watermelon through a straw but do you have to be super careful? Any tricks to stuffing them? I am thinking of trying some fresh sausages first, but would love to start doing a salami or proscuettio or something too.

I would love to hear any ideas, failures, successes.... Any place you prefer to get your supplies?

Thanks for your help

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (02-18-2018),MountainGirl (02-18-2018),shootbrownelk (02-19-2018)