Thread: Condor Compact Assault Pack vs. Condor Convoy Outdoor Pack

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Condor Compact Assault Pack vs. Condor Convoy Outdoor Pack

I want to do something a little bit different. I was in the process of building bug out bags for some younger relatives (10 and 7 years old), and I was looking for a smaller bag (also either of these would be a good day pack or EDC bag). Anyway, I have heard of a lot of people who use a Condor Compact Assault Pack as a bug out bag. The bag is cheap, fairly durable, and holds more than one would think given its 22 liter capacity. I have also used one in the past as a small hiking bag, and I was happy enough with it. Anyway, I recently stumbled across a different bag made by Condor called the Convoy Outdoor Pack. This pack has the same 22 liter capacity. The Convoy Pack is a miniaturized version of their successful 3 Day Assault Pack, and it is only a few dollars more expensive the Compact Assault Pack.

The Compact Assault Pack has four pockets for storage and a separate pocket for a water bladder. The completely removable shoulder straps (for attachment to armor plates) have an adequate amount of padding for 30 pound or less loads. The waist strap is also removable. The front of the pack has three weird rows of MOLLE webbing (unusual spacing vertically, and there are wide attachment points which also accept ALICE clips or small tool handles). Both sides have two more rows of this weird MOLLE wide attachment strap arrangement that are spaced far apart). The main compartment opens as a clamshell design. The pack has a vertical compression strap which comes to a Y shape harness towards the top of the pack. There is a basic nylon chest strap that can be adjusted between three vertical sewn height adjustment settings. The back and shoulder straps bave a mesh style padding for air circulation. Pack is frameless as one should expect out of a small pack. The overall build quality is decent. It will not be quite the quality of a Maxpedition, but it will also be a lot less money.

Approximate pocket dimensions:
    Front top: 7w X 4h x 2.5d
    Front bottom: 8w X 10h X 2.5d
    Middle compartment: 8w X 15h X 2d
    Main compartment: 10w X 18h X 5d
    Water bladder pocket: I do not use it. However, I have heard people can fit a 2 liter bladder comfortably.

The Convoy Pack has six pockets and a separate water bladder pocket. The straps are permanently sewn to the top of the pack. The padding on the shoulder strap is pretty similar to the other pack. The waist strap is also removable. This pack has four typical horizontal pulling compression straps. There are two rows of MOLLE (6 wide) on the bottom front pocket, and there are 4 rows of MOLLE (3 wide) on the front admin pocket. The back padding is nicer on this pack as it is a solid lining that has three contact points on the body (lumbar region and each shoulder) and provides an actual air channel. The chest strap slides on a vertical track, and one of the ends has an elastic strip to provide greater comfort while moving. This pack is frameless as well. There are a few things I do not like about this pack. I do not think it needs three grab handles. I wish they took the two grab handles on the sides off, add more points for attaching gear on the sides, and made the two exterior pockets on each side of the bag large enough to carry a USGI or similar style canteen.

Pocket size on Convoy Pack (all measurements are approximate as it is like measuring a wet noodle):
    Bottom front: 10w X 6h X 2d
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	4818
    Top front (admin pocket): 10w X 12h X 2d

Views:	0 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	4819
    External flap pocket in front of Admin pocket: 8w X 10h X 1.25d--Not pictured, thickness will vary depending on how full Admin pocket is, but I was able to easy get my full hand in with a fairly stuffed bag of soft contents.

External side pockets (2): 3.5w X 8h X 3d--Not pictured as there are internal dividers.

Main compartment: 10w X 18h X 5.5d
    I put a water bottle in the inner stuff pocket which runs half way down the bag.

Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	4820
    Other side of main compartment

Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	4821

I thought about using the Compact Assault Pack for the bug out bags I was building based on previous use. However, I stumbled across the Convoy bag, and I like it better for a few reasons. The MOLLE on the Convoy bag is more typical of a MOLLE bag. While I do not want to totally load the bag up with pouches, I do want to add a couple small ones for items I want to keep separate.

I also plan on doctoring the waist strap which is something I did to 511 Rush 24 pack I used to own (waiting for a strap to complete that task). Anyway, my modification was a padded waist belt that added a few MOLLE attachment points. To accomplish this, I took a piece of flat nylon webbing (maximum width that would fit through the clips for attaching a waistband), ran it through the smallest size Condor Battle Belt II (used small size as it is a partial waist belt), the triglides for attaching the waistband, and attached the buckle clips (ordered them if needed). That waist belt design transfers weight to the hips well (it did on my Rush 24 pack). I prefer the design of the hip belt attachment for doing that on the Convoy Pack.

I also want to add that both of these packs are made out of 500D nylon.

I still have to post pictures of the Assault Pack.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-28-2018 at 05:24 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (03-27-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Excellent! Need more of this on the OTP.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-27-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I have a few other shots of the exteriors of the backpacks. They are essentially the same size. I held a tape measure up to the Convoy Pack.

Convoy pack pictures below:
    Height approximately 18"

Views:	3 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	4846
    Depth approximately 10"

Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	4847
    Front face MOLLE, width of bag 14", and location of zippered behind front panel (left partially open)

Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	4848
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-31-2018 at 11:09 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (03-31-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I apologize as I have been slacking a bit. I found a Condor Compact Assault Pack in ACU camouflage pattern. The pictures with that pattern are of that particular bag.

Bottom of the bag with tape measure for width.

Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	4855
    Looking at back padding.

Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	4856
    Depth of bag away from from back.

Views:	2 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	4857
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-12-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I managed to fit the following contents inside of both bags in this description:

2-pairs of men's jeans 32x33
    2-pairs of men's nylon running pants size large (1 pair lined)
    4-men's XL T-shirts
    2-pairs of boxer briefs
    1-1 quart canteen
    2-pair men's large basketball shorts
    3-pairs of socks (1 normal weight, 1 medium weight, 1 heavy weight wool)

Both bags had room for a little bit more stuff inside, but they were both fairly full with that amount of stuff packed into them.

Everything I had inside the bags is pictured below.

Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	4859

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    The main reasons I decided to go with the Condor Convoy Outdoor Pack as a pediatric bug out bag. The MOLLE makes it more expandable (I do not want to overload a child though), and I added two pouches. The second reason is that I added a small size Condor Battle Belt 2 as a waist strap. I removed both sides of the waist straps from the pack, and I put the exposed vertical attachment strap of the Battle Belt over the outer edge of the clip that holds the waist strap onto the backpack. I threaded the waist strap into place normally making sure to catch the aforementioned Battle Belt strap. I repeated that process for the second side of the pack. The Battle Belt is now attached to the pack, has extra MOLLE attachments, and does a better job of transferring pack weight to the hips. As an FYI, this can be done with other packs that have clips for accepting a waist strap. I had to order nylon webbing and waist buckles to make a strap like this for a 5.11 Rush 24 pack I used to own.

Picture of pack with waist band installed, two canteens mounted on waist band, and extra pouches.

Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	4861
    Last edited by Kfilly; 04-06-2018 at 08:16 AM.