Thread: The law is clear in allowing CPL holders to open carry guns at schools

Troll under the bridge. hawgrider's Avatar
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 29,581 Times in 13,570 Posts

The law is clear in allowing CPL holders to open carry guns at schools

Mike Borders the president of MGO is also a member here.

The following is a guest editorial written by Mike Borders, president of Michigan Gun Owners Inc., which is suing Ann Arbor Public Schools over its policy that bans weapons on school grounds. On Wednesday, April 11, the Michigan Supreme Court held a hearing on lawsuits related to AAPS and Clio Area School District's policies on guns in schools.

One of the founding principles of our nation is the rule of law. Our elected legislature has been tasked with creating the laws that we must all follow. In the case of Ann Arbor Public Schools v. MGO, AAPS would have you believe that they have the ability to prohibit a person who otherwise has a lawful purpose on their premises simply because the person is carrying a firearm. Unfortunately for AAPS, the law says otherwise.

At (Wednesday's) Supreme Court hearing, Chief Justice Markman correctly described the exemption that would allow a person with a Concealed Pistol License to openly carry a firearm on school property. The law often cited by AAPS' superintendent, Dr. Jeanice Swift, allows for schools to provide for safety and security measures for students. What Dr. Swift has failed to mention in all of her public comments is a very important line in the Michigan School Code. "Except as otherwise provided by law" means that public schools must adhere to all state laws. In this case, current Michigan laws make it perfectly legal to openly carry a firearm if in possession of a CPL.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...upreme_co.html
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-13-2018),juskom95 (04-13-2018),rstanek (04-13-2018),RubberDuck (04-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,654 Times in 3,049 Posts
    I still feel the open carry part of this is absolutely absurd why create hysteria. When it's not necessary And the new law they tried for to be able to conceal in these places sucks even more as there were rights lost and money to be spent for further licensing all bullshit

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-13-2018),hawgrider (04-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 10,641 Times in 4,882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    I still feel the open carry part of this is absolutely absurd why create hysteria.
    I think that is very dependent on the area and the people. Unless someone is rocking an AR over their shoulder, what I've noticed is that most people lack the observational skills to notice a handgun.
    "Every personís life is theirs by right. An individualís life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a manís throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-13-2018),RubberDuck (04-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,654 Times in 3,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I think that is very dependent on the area and the people. Unless someone is rocking an AR over their shoulder, what I've noticed is that most people lack the observational skills to notice a handgun.
    I am referring to school carry.
    It is now common practice even if you are legally carrying a handgun in school that the school go into lockdown and police are called. This would not happen if it were concealed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-23-2018),hawgrider (04-13-2018),juskom95 (04-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    I am referring to school carry.
    I was just referring to the general oblivion of the populace.

It is now common practice even if you are legally carrying a handgun in school that the school go into lockdown and police are called. This would not happen if it were concealed
    It is common to do this over a water gun . . . . I wish I were joking, but it happened here locally.

And they KNEW it was a water gun, there was no misunderstanding.
    "Every personís life is theirs by right. An individualís life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a manís throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-13-2018),Kfilly (04-22-2018),RubberDuck (04-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I was just referring to the general oblivion of the populace.

It is common to do this over a water gun . . . . I wish I were joking, but it happened here locally.

And they KNEW it was a water gun, there was no misunderstanding.
    I think of a saying I heard a few times before, "Never let a good crisis go to waste". If they cannot find a good crisis, they will manufacture one. All these anti-gun nuts are trying to create histeria and paranoia towards guns. It is one way to brainwash society to be anti-gun.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (04-23-2018),juskom95 (04-23-2018),RubberDuck (04-23-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I think of a saying I heard a few times before, "Never let a good crisis go to waste". If they cannot find a good crisis, they will manufacture one. All these anti-gun nuts are trying to create histeria and paranoia towards guns. It is one way to brainwash society to be anti-gun.
    Even here in Lexington, KY though someone open carrying is not typically worthy of a police call, I see it every once in a while.

COFFEE!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (04-24-2018)

Little Miss Chatterbox Mister Mills's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I think that they brainwashing has succeeded, and that it will be an uphill battle, to not lose more ground.
    I can be extraneous, and I can be wrong--but those things, are balanced by good things. I ain't sure what they are, but I have them!