Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greenhouse Gardening anyone?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Since I got a greenhouse, Tom got a new shed. No separate thread for that though, lol. It's 10x12, built by the same outfit that built/delivered my greenhouse, and I hired them to do the site prep too. You can see the slope built up to level. Tom actually had to drop a 18"(dbh) fir at the front right corner to make room...and he used the first 20' as the gravel barrier for the pad. His project now is building shelves inside. I'll tuck pics of that into the thread later... he's in shed heaven.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TomsShed.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	5127
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (06-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Wow the greenhouse heats up fast.
    Opened her up, rigged a box fan to blow cooler air in through the back window, it brought the temp down from 105 to 85 in about 30 min...and that was with it being 72 outside! Sheesh, lol.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (06-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Wow the greenhouse heats up fast.
    Opened her up, rigged a box fan to blow cooler air in through the back window, it brought the temp down from 105 to 85 in about 30 min...and that was with it being 72 outside! Sheesh, lol.
    You may want to figure out a ventilation system activated by a set temperature high limit in that greenhouse. Because you will get a unexpected burn out of your plants if your are not there to baby sit it all day long all summer long. It gets very hot very fast. and this is only spring...
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (06-05-2018),Walter Tyler (06-05-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    You may want to figure out a ventilation system activated by a set temperature high limit in that greenhouse. Because you will get a unexpected burn out of your plants if your are not there to baby sit it all day long all summer long. It gets very hot very fast. and this is only spring...
    Yes sir we do indeed. Tom's heading into the city today to get what we need to do just that.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    https://www.hydroponics.net/c/503

Use this in a pinch for your box fan... till ya upgrade.

Luxpro Programmable Digital Thermostat
    Brand: Luxpro
    Programmable outlet thermostat allows control any 120 volt device up to 15 amps. Use with a fan or air conditioner for cooling purposes. Also may be used with a space heater for heating purposes. Separate programs for heating and cooling. Setting Range …

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (06-05-2018),MountainGirl (06-05-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bought 2-- 4' x 8' dock sections for $40,$8 for a 4" x 4" x 8' , $10 in screws $3 for topsoil, $5 for the containers, most were free

$5 for plants, tomato and pepper with some roma, Parsley,Basil, Oregano, endive started from 3 year old seed
    Attachment 5147

The bowling ppins were $1 each, so I bought all 5. They will be fun to knock off the old porch with the XD45
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (06-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    I bought 2-- 4' x 8' dock sections for $40,$8 for a 4" x 4" x 8' , $10 in screws $3 for topsoil, $5 for the containers, most were free

$5 for plants, tomato and pepper with some roma, Parsley,Basil, Oregano, endive started from 3 year old seed
    Attachment 5147

The bowling ppins were $1 each, so I bought all 5. They will be fun to knock off the old porch with the XD45
    No bending over for you.

Good thinking!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (06-07-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    I know a lot of greenhouses use different types of shade cloth on their greenhouse to help keep them cooler. I don't have a huge greenhouse so I just got a couple of rolls of fiberglass window screen and put up on the inside. It cut the heat some but it really helps with the noon overhead sun. It was perfect when moving my transplants from the house to outside. Also I know attitude plays a big factor if you live in a high elevation. Got one of my worst sunburns in the Colorado mountains October with snow on the ground

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (06-08-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I know a lot of greenhouses use different types of shade cloth on their greenhouse to help keep them cooler. I don't have a huge greenhouse so I just got a couple of rolls of fiberglass window screen and put up on the inside. It cut the heat some but it really helps with the noon overhead sun. It was perfect when moving my transplants from the house to outside. Also I know attitude plays a big factor if you live in a high elevation. Got one of my worst sunburns in the Colorado mountains October with snow on the ground
    Thats a good idea, thanks. It might be we end up pulling the containers outside in summer months - and the real benefit of the greenhouse is starting early...and extending through fall. Fun times learning!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deer had been eating my flowers, I ASSume they'll hit up the tomatoes again this year. Better put up a fence. I have a section is stock Outback
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast