Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is your garden?? Taters hilled, weeded, and hoed here

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Our's is in decent shape. Need some weeds removed but its still a little wet here and raining again. In better shape than last year. Have around 180 tomato and pepper plants in now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (06-05-2018),MountainGirl (06-05-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Our's is in decent shape. Need some weeds removed but its still a little wet here and raining again. In better shape than last year. Have around 180 tomato and pepper plants in now.
    180, wow.
    Are you a local supplier?
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    No but if all goes well we do plan to set up a stand and sell tomatoes this year. I also have several different trials growing this year. A couple of tomatoes and a couple of large jalapenos. I try to plant at least 10 plants of each trial to see if it something I want to continue to grow. I also dehydrate tomatoes for winter salads and make several different spices with the peppers.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (06-05-2018),hawgrider (06-05-2018),MountainGirl (06-05-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    Broncosfan has me all to pieces on the tomatoes and peppers.

No peppers, . . . only 3 cabbages, . . . 15 tomatoes, . . . and about 80 sweet potato plants out. REALLY hope they do well this year.

Beans are popping up out of the ground like popcorn.

Hope this is a good "prepper" year, . . . last year was a bust.

And hey, . . . MountainGirl, . . . where do I get one of those cherry trees??? My brother gave me a cherry "bush", . . . ain't nothing but a waste of good ground. Me, the tractor, and a chain will be getting together in the not too distant future, . . . thing is 10 feet tall, . . . never seen that first cherry on the thing.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (06-06-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post

No peppers, . . . only 3 cabbages, . . . 15 tomatoes, . . . and about 80 sweet potato plants out. REALLY hope they do well this year.

And hey, . . . MountainGirl, . . . where do I get one of those cherry trees??? My brother gave me a cherry "bush", . . . ain't nothing but a waste of good ground. Me, the tractor, and a chain will be getting together in the not too distant future, . . . thing is 10 feet tall, . . . never seen that first cherry on the thing.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Dwight
    What kind of yield do you get from your sweet potato plants?? This is my first year planting sweet potatoes. I planted 40 plants. Not knowing what to expect. Plant 3 varieties.
    Last year was a bust here for tomatoes and peppers.
    Need to get some salsa made this year only made one batch last year due to poor tomatoes. Year before I made 150 pints.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (06-06-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post

May God bless,
    Dwight
    bronco's got me too, lol. I've got 2 tomatoes and 3 peppers in the greenhouse.

We got our cherry tree at the local nursery - love that place - they only stock/sell what grows up here.

Too funny about your cherry bush!! I just bought 3 of them and we're planting them this morning soon as the sun comes up. Two of them already have cherries started, but they're not for eating the fruit though; we're using them for bait and wine. I'll take pics soon & post them on my greenhouse thread (so I can remember where they are, lol)

I hope you keep sharing pictures of your garden as it comes along... always nice to see the glory growing.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (06-06-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Dwight
    What kind of yield do you get from your sweet potato plants?? This is my first year planting sweet potatoes. I planted 40 plants. Not knowing what to expect. Plant 3 varieties.
    Last year was a bust here for tomatoes and peppers.
    Need to get some salsa made this year only made one batch last year due to poor tomatoes. Year before I made 150 pints.
    I think a rule of thumb is something like a pound per foot of rows. Not a perfect rule, . . . dependent on soil, rain, weather, . . . etc.

I've never had any real great luck, . . . but enjoy the few I get, as they are MINE so to speak.

This is the first real "prepper" garden I've done, . . . emphasis on beans and taters.

If the rule of thumb works for me, . . . I'm looking at 60 to 80 pounds, . . . and a lot of canning

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12