Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freedom from Utility companies

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    I am in suburbia hell right now. So close to the airport I can see the pilot smiling on Final approach.
    I do plan on uprooting myself, but it will take a few more years to pull off. I am just hoping to stay employed for that long, then I will be heading North, and disappear from the face of the Earth for 99.99999999% of the population. Today was brutal, I ended up shelling out $300 for another 12000 BTU's of cool. Yes, off grid that would not even be a consideration.
    Mrs TJC does not have the same mindset. She would leave this place too, but she wants Florida. Who in their right minds goes to ass sweating hot, humid Florida???(sorry, Sparky, Slippy, RPD), but she still hates being hot, and inside the house got up to 91 today. I know I am rambling, trying to stay on point, too many Twisted Teas today.
    O.K. Like I said, I am looking at property, with acreage, cheap, to disappear to. I do have 100 watts of solar on standby, I dam near pulled the trigger on a new generator today, still not ruling it out, I need to see how the grid handles a super hot Monday, we will be close to capacity.
    A little more time.............................................. ...
    You have my sincerest condolences, TJC, I lived for a long time in a place similar to that; your tolerance must be far greater than mine. Not familiar with gens designed for suburban backup but I hope the one you get is one you can take with you for a stand alone system. It would make a good first 'step' towards your later move.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    My system is much smaller than yours, . . . only 4KW peak, . . . 2KW continuous, . . . but with two auto batteries, . . . it'll do my basic household needs minus the A/C and the electric stove.

Conservation would allow the freezer to be topped off today, . . . fridge tomorrow, . . . would give me an hour on the computer each day, . . . and lights for about 3 hours at night.

No, . . . no well pump, no A/C, no furnace, have to cook on a wood stove, . . . but my system will take care of me and my wife indefinitely, . . . and initial total cost was well under $1000.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    And that ^^ is the ticket.
    If you wanted to - you could tell your power company to go shove. I'm all for using resources available to us, for comfort and joy; it's having a choice, especially when it comes to survival, that seems paramount, to me.
    Thanks for replying, Dwight. I always enjoy your words.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Geography for me.

I did the math, and with where I am currently at I cannot get enough sun to power enough of my home.

Now long term? Yes, that is my plan. Buy a retirement property and plan that from the ground up, but retrofitting existing homes can be impossible in most cases.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (07-03-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Geography for me.

I did the math, and with where I am currently at I cannot get enough sun to power enough of my home.

Now long term? Yes, that is my plan. Buy a retirement property and plan that from the ground up, but retrofitting existing homes can be impossible in most cases.
    Sounds like a plan.
    But retrofitting? As long as there's a spot for panels, batteries & inverter etc - not sure what the 'impossible' would be.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (07-02-2018),juskom95 (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Sounds like a plan.
    Long term, I have my hopes!

But retrofitting? As long as there's a spot for panels, batteries & inverter etc - not sure what the 'impossible' would be.
    Some of it comes down to latitude, how much of the sun's light is even possible to gather, then it comes down to a clear view of the sky. Where I am at in KY, I simply don't have the clear space to put up enough panels with enough line of sight to get enough light for minimal power. If I cut down ALL of my trees and covered my roof in panels, it would be a strong maybe if I would get enough.

I did the math when moving here, close to $100k with batteries to retrofit the house I'm in. Now if I move out into the country I still have the latitude problem, but I can pick a clear spot with a good line of sight to the sky and plan the house around a combination of LP and power.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (07-02-2018),Walter Tyler (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    There are only 2 GOOD reasons to go solar or to self generate electricity.

1. The cost to "connect" to the grid is over $25k (as in MtGirls case).
    2. When SHTF and electrical conveniences become "Priceless".

I have spread sheet after spread sheet documenting the ROI on going solar "to screw the electric co", and the math NEVER works out... until 15 or so years later.
    Here in MO the average cost of AMEREN power is 10 cents per KWH. Generating with a Gas/other fuel generator is around 35 cents per KwH. It gets better with a wood gas type of generator but you still need the Maintenance supplies and time.

I got a lil bit o solar on some of the barns for trickle chargers on batteries and some lights, but thats just cause it has been inconvenient to run power out to them.

I have/am considering Solar for the Shack for when I "retire" but, that will just be to buy the power up front and be a sort of inflation hedge. It just doesnt make sense for us now because by the time I retire the system we buy today will be at its average service end by the time I retire, not including batteries. I am hoping Self generating systems are more efficient and better battery technology will come around before I drop $15-20k on a system that will only work at "peak" for the next 10-15 years.

I am just fine with the $1200 we pay per YEAR and the convenience of having "infinite" juice at our fingertips... but thats just me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    I have spread sheet after spread sheet documenting the ROI on going solar "to screw the electric co", and the math NEVER works out... until 15 or so years later.
    About the time the panels need replaced too.

The closer to the equator you get, the more economical sense it makes too. I did the ROI calculations too, still not out of the question, but for my 'retirement cabin,' I'm going to plan it carefully.

Some places the cost to run utilities is insane.

COFFEE!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (07-03-2018),Walter Tyler (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    I would have enough power to run a "Sub Division" off of hydro power... If the crick wasnt 3/4 of a mile from the house...oh... and the floods... fuckin floods.

The ole timers called it "the Mill Creek" for a reason...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (07-02-2018),shootbrownelk (07-03-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Long term, I have my hopes!

Some of it comes down to latitude, how much of the sun's light is even possible to gather, then it comes down to a clear view of the sky. Where I am at in KY, I simply don't have the clear space to put up enough panels with enough line of sight to get enough light for minimal power. If I cut down ALL of my trees and covered my roof in panels, it would be a strong maybe if I would get enough.

I did the math when moving here, close to $100k with batteries to retrofit the house I'm in. Now if I move out into the country I still have the latitude problem, but I can pick a clear spot with a good line of sight to the sky and plan the house around a combination of LP and power.
    Trees would be an issue; hate to see them cut down. Our only reasonably flat south-facing treeless spot was 100' up the mtn from the cabin.
    $100K? I could light up the surrounding 3 miles for that, lol. Not sure how long ago you did the math - but the prices have come down about 70% over the last 10yrs. Our system would have been easily $80K in 2005. Here's a few links if anyone is interested.

https://www.seia.org/solar-industry-research-data
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	5246

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/24/126209...-costs-falling
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	5247

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    There are only 2 GOOD reasons to go solar or to self generate electricity.

1. The cost to "connect" to the grid is over $25k (as in MtGirls case).
    2. When SHTF and electrical conveniences become "Priceless".

Here in MO the average cost of AMEREN power is 10 cents per KWH. Generating with a Gas/other fuel generator is around 35 cents per KwH. It gets better with a wood gas type of generator but you still need the Maintenance supplies and time.

I got a lil bit o solar on some of the barns for trickle chargers on batteries and some lights, but thats just cause it has been inconvenient to run power out to them.

I have/am considering Solar for the Shack for when I "retire" but, that will just be to buy the power up front and be a sort of inflation hedge. It just doesnt make sense for us now because by the time I retire the system we buy today will be at its average service end by the time I retire, not including batteries. I am hoping Self generating systems are more efficient and better battery technology will come around before I drop $15-20k on a system that will only work at "peak" for the next 10-15 years.

I am just fine with the $1200 we pay per YEAR and the convenience of having "infinite" juice at our fingertips... but thats just me.
    Yes, that is one consideration (time aspect). Because we're old (lol) we need our system to last about 10-15 yrs...and we keep $20K in reserve for system replacement if need be - just in case the mountain doesn't 'get us' first.
    Thanks for your reply!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (07-02-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast