Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freedom from Utility companies

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Trees would be an issue; hate to see them cut down. Our only reasonably flat south-facing treeless spot was 100' up the mtn from the cabin.
    $100K? I could light up the surrounding 3 miles for that, lol. Not sure how long ago you did the math - but the prices have come down about 70% over the last 10yrs. Our system would have been easily $80K in 2005. Here's a few links if anyone is interested.
    The biggest costs were batteries. You're running a VERY minimal setup, power consumption wise, probably around 1/4 of an average home. That is where the additional cost comes in, especially when you consider HVAC.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (07-02-2018),Walter Tyler (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    The biggest costs were batteries. You're running a VERY minimal setup, power consumption wise, probably around 1/4 of an average home. That is where the additional cost comes in, especially when you consider HVAC.
    Ah...right. I forget sometimes that most of the US cant survive without A/C. We run fans & air conditioners up here on the few times it's in the 90s... but the sun is always bright then meeting that need. One thing that really surprised me (because before installation all I knew was what 'charts' told me re sizing/need/etc) is that even on all but the heaviest overcast days - power still came down from the array, and even on those days we still always get a trickle (200-300w). Normal cloudy days it comes down like 80% of bright sunny days. Yeah, the batteries were $10K alone. 16 Rolls-Surrette. I wanted to make sure we could always run the well pump, and Tom wanted a fridge/freezer after hauling ice up here for 10 years. Here's a pic from the build:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinpower.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	5248
    Last edited by MountainGirl; 07-02-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (07-02-2018),Walter Tyler (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Ah...right. I forget sometimes that most of the US cant survive without A/C. We run fans & air conditioners up here on the few times it's in the 90s... but the sun is always bright meeting that need. One thing that really surprised me (because before installation all I knew was what 'charts' told me re sizing/need/etc) is that even on all but the heaviest overcast days - power still came down from the array. Normal cloudy days its like 80% of bright sunny days. Yeah, the batteries were 10K alone. 16 Rolls-Surrette. I wanted to make sure we could always run the well pump, and Tom wanted a fridge/freezer after hauling ice up here for 10 years. Here's a pic from the build:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabinpower.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	5248
    Fuck YEAH!!! Someone aint Fuckin around... Sweet.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (07-02-2018),MountainGirl (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Ah...right. I forget sometimes that most of the US cant survive without A/C. We run fans & air conditioners up here on the few times it's in the 90s... but the sun is always bright then meeting that need.
    The ironic thing is, the hotter areas get more usable UV light for power. I've been in a no-AC condition in the upper nineties (and the 110+), you won't last long doing much of anything except sitting in a cool area. Forget yard work or anything rough, even when you're accumulated to it, you have to be careful.

One thing that really surprised me (because before installation all I knew was what 'charts' told me re sizing/need/etc) is that even on all but the heaviest overcast days - power still came down from the array, and even on those days we still always get a trickle (200-300w). Normal cloudy days it comes down like 80% of bright sunny days.
    To give you an idea, when I was in LA we had to run the AC constantly to keep the home below 85. Over the last weekend, the AC was on constantly to to the same thing. They are going to be pulling roughly 3.5 kW per ton, per hour, roughly.

Lights are easy ones, their power consumption can be lowered quite readily. Something I learned about fans in LA though, if you're running multiple, constantly their draw can/will cause bulbs to burn out much quicker, it has something to do with their constant amperage.

Yeah, the batteries were $10K alone. 16 Rolls-Surrette. I wanted to make sure we could always run the well pump, and Tom wanted a fridge/freezer after hauling ice up here for 10 years. Here's a pic from the build:
    Fridge/freezers are another big energy pull. I run two fridges and a freezer (I have a family) which is an additional draw.

I did the math, and retro-fitting an existing home is expensive, plus there is the behavior of those who live within. They have to also keep consumption in mind. I'm not against it, but some areas it won't work as readily as others.

Now if I had a natural gas well . . . . .
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Bury the House...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    Bury the House...
    Yeah, with the way this summer has gone, the only cool place is our basement!

COFFEE!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    The ironic thing is, the hotter areas get more usable UV light for power. I've been in a no-AC condition in the upper nineties (and the 110+), you won't last long doing much of anything except sitting in a cool area. Forget yard work or anything rough, even when you're accumulated to it, you have to be careful.

To give you an idea, when I was in LA we had to run the AC constantly to keep the home below 85. Over the last weekend, the AC was on constantly to to the same thing. They are going to be pulling roughly 3.5 kW per ton, per hour, roughly.

Lights are easy ones, their power consumption can be lowered quite readily. Something I learned about fans in LA though, if you're running multiple, constantly their draw can/will cause bulbs to burn out much quicker, it has something to do with their constant amperage.

Fridge/freezers are another big energy pull. I run two fridges and a freezer (I have a family) which is an additional draw.

I did the math, and retro-fitting an existing home is expensive, plus there is the behavior of those who live within. They have to also keep consumption in mind. I'm not against it, but some areas it won't work as readily as others.

Now if I had a natural gas well . . . . .
    Juskom, you have totally reached the MG threshold of not feasible for you!! LOL
    Hoping for you cooler, and quieter, days ahead - sooner rather than later.
    Best regards.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-04-2018),juskom95 (07-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Juskom, you have totally reached the MG threshold of not feasible for you!! LOL
    I love KY, but it has been a hell of a summer and I wouldn't give up my AC . . . even after getting the utility bill!

Hoping for you cooler, and quieter, days ahead - sooner rather than later.
    Best regards.
    Yup.

I do like reading accounts like yours though, it gives me great ideas for retirement so I don't have to deal with crazy utilities and I can minimize my contact with society. I even got the wife on board too!

COFFEE!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (07-04-2018),MountainGirl (07-02-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123