Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coon problems

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

Coon problems

First it was a chicken dinner on me. Lost 3 hens to the little pests. Then I starting seeing my almost ripe tomatoes pulled from the vine and half ate. After 3 nights I have got 2 coons. Smart critters they are. They have taken the bait out of the smaller trap several times without setting it off. One time flipping it over and the second time after anchoring the trap they went in and reached the bait without setting it off. I might try corn on the cob in the smaller trap should be harder to get out. Sure hope things get better it starting to be a really bad year to garden!

I use my Grand pappys old trick for keeping coons out of the garden (could insert joke here) but anyway coons were eating my corn and tomato's so Grandpa said use blood-meal. So I bought some blood-meal and spread it round the garden but not to close to the plants stalk cuz its pretty high in nitrogen and will burn the plants if to thick and too close. Anyway it was a win win coons left the garden alone they didn't like the smell of the blood-meal and the blood-meal acted as a fertilizer.

As far as your chickens the only way to keep the varmits from killen your birds is to lock them in at nite and make sure your coop and kennel has a dug in approx hunk of chain link fence or hardware cloth about 16" or so attached to the kennel /fenceing buried in the ground at an angle so they can't dig there way in. Of course you will have to have the overhead area fenced or they will climb in. this is why I use a 10x10 dog kennel attached directly to the coop. Make a for knox or continue to lose birds. Yeah you can kill the coons ..... but more will come.

kinda like this only bury it at a angle about a foot deep.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (07-10-2018),juskom95 (07-10-2018),MountainGirl (07-10-2018)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    haven't seen a coon near my yard, but surprisingly, there are two DOA on the highway leading to my house.
    I made my coop 3 feet tall, 8 feet wide, and 8 feel long, two by four frame, with totally enclosed top and bottom.
    The wife and I can easily pick it up and move it.
    I did have a bunny escape through the 2 inch mesh, So tonight I will put chicken wire around the sides. Have four baby chicks, one TINY baby black feather legged rooster, and two medium sized ducks to add after the chicken wire. This weekend, I hope to make another pen, pretty much the same, for the babies, pretty sure the big chicks will hurt my little black cock..HA.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-10-2018)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Why cant i add pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Why cant i add pictures?
    I dunno why not ?

I have no issue either using hot link from the www or my third party pic host which at the moment is "Imgur."

I hate the attachment feature on any forum to many restrictions with size and limit of how many attachments you can use per the forums specs. I recommend you avoid the hassle and use a third party picture host its easy and free.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Why cant i add pictures?
    It says you can-

Deebo (userid: 481)

Can View Forum Yes
    Can View Thread Content Yes
    Can View Others' Threads Yes
    Can Search Forum Yes
    Can Use Email to Friend Yes
    Can Post Threads Yes
    Can Reply to Own Threads Yes
    Can Reply to Others' Threads Yes
    Can Edit Own Posts Yes
    Can Delete Own Posts Yes
    Can Delete Own Threads No
    Can Open / Close Own Threads Yes
    Can Move Own Threads No
    Can View Attachments Yes
    Can Post Attachments Yes
    Can Post Polls Yes
    Can Vote on Polls Yes
    Can Rate Threads Yes

"Coon problems"

OK can stand it... I must insert the joke-

Keep the coons out of the garden?

Stop planting watermelons.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

OSFG (07-12-2018)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    used to be a handy little box in here, that a icon,

used to be a handy little box in here, that a icon,
    Its still there it looks like a tree. Top of the post window next to the film strip looking icon for youtubes

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    when i add the attachment, it moves from the top box section, to the thurd section. then try to download, it says to select image?
    it has happened before, cant remember, brain hurts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Babay.jpg   Coop.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast