Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coon problems

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    AH, finally, you can see my little black cock.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (07-13-2018),MountainGirl (07-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    when i add the attachment, it moves from the top box section, to the thurd section. then try to download, it says to select image?
    it has happened before, cant remember, brain hurts.
    Looks like it worked to me I see your 2 pictures.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    And. no, the icons went away, inside my reply box.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

Smooth conversationalist Bleach's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hardy boys5.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	5347

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleach For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    And. no, the icons went away, inside my reply box.
    Thats prolly because your using the standard editor.... change your setting in the setting button top right of the main page.

Use the advanced editor.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I use my Grand pappys old trick for keeping coons out of the garden (could insert joke here) but anyway coons were eating my corn and tomato's so Grandpa said use blood-meal. So I bought some blood-meal and spread it round the garden but not to close to the plants stalk cuz its pretty high in nitrogen and will burn the plants if to thick and too close. Anyway it was a win win coons left the garden alone they didn't like the smell of the blood-meal and the blood-meal acted as a fertilizer.

As far as your chickens the only way to keep the varmits from killen your birds is to lock them in at nite and make sure your coop and kennel has a dug in approx hunk of chain link fence or hardware cloth about 16" or so attached to the kennel /fenceing buried in the ground at an angle so they can't dig there way in. Of course you will have to have the overhead area fenced or they will climb in. this is why I use a 10x10 dog kennel attached directly to the coop. Make a for knox or continue to lose birds. Yeah you can kill the coons ..... but more will come.

kinda like this only bury it at a angle about a foot deep.

Hawgrider
    Thanks for the blood meal fix. I think I will try that in a couple of days after I catch and help control; the population a little.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    It can't be the watermelons. First year I got them in early the weeds were getting out of control. Son was learning to use the weed trimmer on wheels and he mowed them down perfectly the first pass.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-10-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    Coons are some of the easiest to catch if you do it right.

First get a live trap, . . . then around the bottom up by the trigger, . . . put sheet metal high enough that he can't stick a paw in and get the bait or trip the trigger.

Second, . . . eat a can of tuna (make a tuna fish salad sandwich), . . . and set the can in there as bait.

When you come out and find him in the trap, . . . toss trap and all into a 35 gallon blue drum full of water, . . . go get a cup of coffee.

Come back out, . . . open trap door, . . . remove contents to the buzzard hill, . . . reset the trap, . . .

Lever action .22 rifle is also good.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post

First get a live trap, . . . then around the bottom up by the trigger, . . . put sheet metal high enough that he can't stick a paw in and get the bait or trip the trigger.

Second, . . . eat a can of tuna (make a tuna fish salad sandwich), . . . and set the can in there as bait.

When you come out and find him in the trap, . . . toss trap and all into a 35 gallon blue drum full of water, . . . go get a cup of coffee.

Come back out, . . . open trap door, . . . remove contents to the buzzard hill, . . . reset the trap, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Might get a skunk too. I did with tuna cans

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (07-10-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I wrapped my cages with plastic hardware cloth. So far its working. Using corn tonight in the small traps and leftover chicken in the larger trap. 22lr finished the job

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast