Thread: 1791 Gunleather offers new leather gun belt models

Troll under the bridge. hawgrider's Avatar
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 30,625 Times in 14,114 Posts

1791 Gunleather offers new leather gun belt models

The Gun Holster Belt series features two models Classic Brown, bottom, and Stealth black, top. (Photo: 1791 Gunleather)

company announcing the Classic Brown and Stealth Black.

The Gun Holster Belt series utilize full-grain,
    https://www.guns.com/2018/09/13/1791...n-belt-models/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (09-14-2018),RubberDuck (09-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,010 Times in 3,211 Posts
    I would check one out they are reasonably priced.
    I have had the same bull belt for 10 years now and still going strong from the gun show I think I paid around $50

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,847 Posts
    If you want a true "gun belt" that will last most likely longer than we will, . . . it needs to be a double layer belt.

The flesh side of the leather is soft and squiggly, . . . and eventually gives away.

A double layer puts hair side on the inside and the outside, . . . properly bonded and stitched, . . . it should last 25 years anyway.

That is the only way I do my CCW belts for my customers.

Far as I can tell, . . . the "reinforcing" is nothing but an advertising gimmick, . . . as it is just a single layer belt that will sag, bend, and get floppy over time.

Caveat Emptor.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (09-18-2018),hawgrider (09-14-2018),rice paddy daddy (09-15-2018)

Troll under the bridge. hawgrider's Avatar
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 30,625 Times in 14,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    If you want a true "gun belt" that will last most likely longer than we will, . . . it needs to be a double layer belt.

The flesh side of the leather is soft and squiggly, . . . and eventually gives away.

A double layer puts hair side on the inside and the outside, . . . properly bonded and stitched, . . . it should last 25 years anyway.

Far as I can tell, . . . the "reinforcing" is nothing but an advertising gimmick, . . . as it is just a single layer belt that will sag, bend, and get floppy over time.

Caveat Emptor.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    One of my belts is a double layer with a stiffener inside there is no sag possible ever. I don't think the above belt has a stiffener in it.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (09-14-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 611 Posts

Caveat Emptor.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Yep, I'll second this one. I'll also add that with a quality double layer gun belt there is no real need for a stiffener. 2 layers of 8-9oz leather glued together and then stitched should be plenty stiff enough for anything. That said I'm not a big fan of making gun belts since I hand stitch, it takes forever. I think the last one I did used somewhere in the neighborhood of 30' of thread if memory serves me correctly. That was a stitching marathon.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (09-16-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Yep, I'll second this one. I'll also add that with a quality double layer gun belt there is no real need for a stiffener. 2 layers of 8-9oz leather glued together and then stitched should be plenty stiff enough for anything. That said I'm not a big fan of making gun belts since I hand stitch, it takes forever. I think the last one I did used somewhere in the neighborhood of 30' of thread if memory serves me correctly. That was a stitching marathon.

-Infidel
    (psst), . . . now you know why there is a Tippmann Boss adorning my work space..............

Seriously, . . . I thought about making belts when I got into the holster business, . . . decided a machine was in the works or I was bowing out. Got one heck of a deal on it, . . . and while it takes me 20 minutes to stitch a 42 inch belt, . . . sure beats hand stitching.

Had an acquaintance who hand stitched cowboy gun belts. Him and his wife did em together, . . . sitting on the couch watching TV. Not for me, . . . nein, . . . nada, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-14-2018)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 611 Posts
    (psst), . . . now you know why there is a Tippmann Boss adorning my work space..............

Seriously, . . . I thought about making belts when I got into the holster business, . . . decided a machine was in the works or I was bowing out. Got one heck of a deal on it, . . . and while it takes me 20 minutes to stitch a 42 inch belt, . . . sure beats hand stitching.

Had an acquaintance who hand stitched cowboy gun belts. Him and his wife did em together, . . . sitting on the couch watching TV. Not for me, . . . nein, . . . nada, . . .

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I agree, I don't enjoy doing them at all and I have to charge extra for them just because of the time that goes into it. Sometimes though I end up doing it anyway, in fact I haven't even made one for myself yet. That's one of those things that needs to get done when I don't have any other work on my schedule and the weather sucks. Maybe this winter after deer season is over I'll get to that. I will eventually have to break down and buy a machine but there's so many of them out there that you could go crazy comparing specs and reading reviews. On the bright side there aren't quite as many machines that are heavy duty enough to do what I need done. Once I retire from my primary gig I'll invest in a machine and hopefully go full time with the leather.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks