Thread: Dry-Aging Meat? Anyone doing it?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,847 Times in 6,976 Posts

Dry-Aging Meat? Anyone doing it?

About a year ago I decided to try and Dry-Age some steaks and began experimenting. Below is a pretty good tutorial on how to do it. I typically like to dry age large cuts of meat. Due to the moisture loss, you will be left with a finished product much smaller than what you buy so keep that in mind. The taste of dry aged steak is pretty great but be careful to follow food safety rules so nobody gets ill.

https://jesspryles.com/how-to-dry-age-steak/

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (10-14-2018),BucketBack (10-14-2018),hawgrider (10-14-2018),Inor (10-14-2018),MountainGirl (01-28-2019),RubberDuck (10-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Might try that with Bambi, while waiting for test results.

Oh, I need to get a Bambi first though. Heading out this afternoon
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Slippy (10-14-2018)

Been thinking about doing it. The hold up is the long term fridge space. I need a garage fridge.

How did your steaks turn out? Worth the effort?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Attachment 5611

The picture doesn't do justice to the finished product but here is a NY Strip that I dry aged for about 4 weeks. The pic is of an uncooked steak fresh out of the dry-age fridge. It started out as a 20 oz steak about 1 1/2" thick. I've since decided that the thicker the better so I do not dry age any individual steak less than 2 1/2" thick.

The taste of a dry aged steak is much different than a steak cooked off "off the shelf".

The short version to preparing this steak; dry the steak with a paper towel or a simple tea towel. Cover it with a dry paper towel and place it on a rack on a pan.

I use the vegetable section of a fridge and reduce as much moisture as I can. Every day I replace the paper towel with a new one. On day 10 or so, I lightly salted the steak with kosher salt. On day 20 or so I added a sprinkle of Tony Chacheres Seasoning to give it a little kick. Before cooking the steak, I trimmed some of the crusty fat and cooked it on a hot-ass grill in a cast iron pan for about 3 minutes per side. Medium Rare temp but without the juices that you normally get. I like to really sear both sides.

Anyhow, just something to try out.

Be safe!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (10-14-2018),hawgrider (10-14-2018),Inor (10-14-2018),MountainGirl (01-28-2019),RubberDuck (10-14-2018),Sparkyprep (10-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Do you think a roast would work better, then just slice it to steaks prior to grilling?

The reason I ask is the grocery store had a good sale on sirloin roasts. Plus we are coming up on Christmas when I will buy several standing rib roasts so we can have prime rib and/or ribeyes throughout the year.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Slippy (10-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dry it thick, slice it thin is my understanding
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Do you think a roast would work better, then just slice it to steaks prior to grilling?

The reason I ask is the grocery store had a good sale on sirloin roasts. Plus we are coming up on Christmas when I will buy several standing rib roasts so we can have prime rib and/or ribeyes throughout the year.
    Yes Sir,

Buy a Rib Roast and start the dry-aging process a few weeks before you want to eat it. Individual steaks are more difficult to dry-age then a larger roast.

Pics Please!!!!!