Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new chainsaw

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 14,733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My 250 woukldn't start this morning, put a NGK plug in and fresh fuel, no go.

It fired on the 3rd pull this morning, so I probably flooded the combustion chamber

I don't want to take it in to the dealer because Marissa will just shake her head if it's just flooded.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I always buy re-manufactured chain saws, saves me a lot of money, I believe I bought my last 2 (same model for backups) from Northern Tool, they were Husqvarna, I've replaced the carbs on both of them, new carbs have "real" adjustment screws, not the crap the sell so the Californians can't adjust the mixtures. I had to replace the carbs because they both started to have the same problem of starting fine, running at an idle fine but would not accelerate, perhaps something in a jet, but I cleaned them and same problem.

I always buy re-manufactured because that means some technician actually put fuel in it and and made it run, all other "new" ones are never even started.

Rancher

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azrancher For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (10-17-2018),Sparkyprep (10-16-2018)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    not to hijack this thread but I cant not help thinking about leatherface
    its must be due to it being Halloween so close
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (10-17-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    I always buy re-manufactured chain saws, saves me a lot of money, I believe I bought my last 2 (same model for backups) from Northern Tool, they were Husqvarna, I've replaced the carbs on both of them, new carbs have "real" adjustment screws, not the crap the sell so the Californians can't adjust the mixtures. I had to replace the carbs because they both started to have the same problem of starting fine, running at an idle fine but would not accelerate, perhaps something in a jet, but I cleaned them and same problem.

I always buy re-manufactured because that means some technician actually put fuel in it and and made it run, all other "new" ones are never even started.

Rancher
    The Timberland Dealer fired up my Stihl and adjusted it before I took it home.

It runs fine now that's it's not flooded.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (10-16-2018)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    I've got a small Husqvarna home owner type saw that's been a good saw for me. I don't use it much though and if I was cutting wood for heat I'd go to a Stihl, everyone I know that has one loves them. The battery powered chainsaws are getting great reviews but probably weren't designed for those that burn wood for heat. The draw for me with a battery powered saw is I don't have to deal with gas going bad between uses and turning to varnish in the carb which I've had to deal with in both my chainsaw and string trimmer. I always try to make sure I don't leave them with gas in them but sooner or later it happens and it inevitably goes bad. Best case scenario is cleaning the carb worst is replacing it. It cost me less to replace the carb on my string trimmer last time than the price of the rebuild kit, go figure.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (10-16-2018),rice paddy daddy (11-20-2018),shootbrownelk (10-17-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    I've got a small Husqvarna home owner type saw that's been a good saw for me. I don't use it much though and if I was cutting wood for heat I'd go to a Stihl, everyone I know that has one loves them. The battery powered chainsaws are getting great reviews but probably weren't designed for those that burn wood for heat. The draw for me with a battery powered saw is I don't have to deal with gas going bad between uses and turning to varnish in the carb which I've had to deal with in both my chainsaw and string trimmer. I always try to make sure I don't leave them with gas in them but sooner or later it happens and it inevitably goes bad. Best case scenario is cleaning the carb worst is replacing it. It cost me less to replace the carb on my string trimmer last time than the price of the rebuild kit, go figure.

-Infidel
    Agree, re the gas hassle. From what I've seen so far - the only limitation on my M18 is the 16" bar. Dropping quantity for wood heat is easier with bigger trees, though I did lay down a few 14"ers and it didn't dog down at all, nor did it hesitate to do all the limbing and also cut to length the top halves of the big ones that Tom dropped. Oh - that '4 hour' reference in my post above? That's how long I lasted yesterday morning; the saw still had plenty of power...3/4 left according to its meter.

Not tryin to sell anybody on it, I'm just really happy with how it performs - especially since $400 is a big chunk of change for us. Tom really appreciates me out there cutting with him - and if I'm ever on my own up here, I'm no longer worried about being able to bring in enough wood myself. It'll take me longer - but that's okay.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (10-16-2018),Infidel (10-17-2018),shootbrownelk (10-17-2018),Sparkyprep (10-16-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Agree, re the gas hassle. From what I've seen so far - the only limitation on my M18 is the 16" bar. Dropping quantity for wood heat is easier with bigger trees, though I did lay down a few 14"ers and it didn't dog down at all, nor did it hesitate to do all the limbing and also cut to length the top halves of the big ones that Tom dropped. Oh - that '4 hour' reference in my post above? That's how long I lasted yesterday morning; the saw still had plenty of power...3/4 left according to its meter.

Not tryin to sell anybody on it, I'm just really happy with how it performs - especially since $400 is a big chunk of change for us. Tom really appreciates me out there cutting with him - and if I'm ever on my own up here, I'm no longer worried about being able to bring in enough wood myself. It'll take me longer - but that's okay.
    Tom approves this post

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (10-17-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    Tom approves this post

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    U C the lunacy in my reply

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (10-17-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 626 Posts
    I have a stile butnot that model. It works great.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Camel923 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (10-17-2018)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast