Thread: Need some thoughts

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Need some thoughts

Well shit, It's been a day or two since I have been here. I hate being busy.

With this issue popping up though- you folks are the first I thought of ......

Long story as short as I can make it
    For over 30 years I have handloaded for my .270 with Nosler Ballistic tips. During load development I found I had to slow them down to 3000fps at the muzzle or anything I hit under 100 yards- the bullet exploded. After slowing the bullet down, I have taken hundreds of deer, a large number of elk, antelope, caribou, coyotes etc. None of the animals went over 50 yards and the large majority dropped in their tracks.
    Three years ago, I was given a 300 Win Mag. I also found a honey hole for elk that is 25 miles from the house. I loaded some Nosler Ballistic tips up as I had awesome luck with them in the 270. The load data I use had the rounds coming out at about 3050 so I dropped the load to 2950 fps. The first year I hit a cow elk at 100 yards and snapped her neck. My wife is using the same bullets out of a 308 and she put 6 rounds in a mule deer before he dropped (still not dead). Then last year I had a cow elk take three of the rounds right behind the shoulder and she ran almost half a mile before she dropped. Then I had a mule deer get up and walk off after two rounds at 50 yards- 1 right behind the shoulder and one dead center to the chest. I never found him. I was flabbergasted. I decided it was the bullets that were causing the issue. I contacted Nosler and they said the Ballistic tip wasn't designed for big deer and above. I thought this was weird as the box I had in my hand stated it was good for elk and my 270 had one hell of a record of dropping the elk where they stood. Anyhow, On their advice I started loading Accu bond bullets.
    Two days ago I shot a cow elk. She ran across a ditch and a total of about 20 yards, stood for a bit (30 sec/1 min), then fell over dead. The shot was at about 100 yards or so. I found the bullet on the off side, between ribs and hide.... it didn't hit any bones (may have clipped a rib but not sure). The bullet mushroomed very nicely. My question (finally) is if that bullet only went across the body at 100 yards- is it going to do the job at 400, 600 yards (my current self imposed limit on range is 650. The last thing I want to do, for me and for the animal, is to have an extended recovery.

I am about tempted to go back to the .270 but that shortens my comfortable range back down to 400.

I made that as short as I could- and it's still long, sorry. What do you folks think?

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,479 Times in 4,392 Posts
    Blog Entries
    270 or use the Ballistic tips at 2950 in the 300 WIN Mag. If it works, don't mess with it
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (11-02-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,244 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    270 or use the Ballistic tips at 2950 in the 300 WIN Mag. If it works, don't mess with it
    What he said.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks. :pirateflag: :confederate:

Proud Deplorable

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,185 Posts
    I've always favored the Nosler partition. .308, 180 gr for elk and deer. I have had the 150 gr bullet explode, so I went back to the 180. One elk I shot had a .270 round flattened against it's shoulder blade, found when I boned it out. My buddy thought he had missed.

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,459 Posts
    I went to copper bullets some time ago. I have had poor performance on game with Ballistic tips (early ones) and Hornady SST's. I use 150 grain Barnes TTSX bullets in my 30.06 and .308 and may drop down to 130 grainers in the .308. I use the 85 Grain TTSX in my .243 and the Hornady GMX. The Ballistic tips & SST's were great as far as accuracy goes, but they failed too often on game to suit me. I have no complaints about leaving the cup & core bullets. I even use a Barnes X 235 grain bullet in my .375 H&H.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 630 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    Well shit, It's been a day or two since I have been here. I hate being busy.

With this issue popping up though- you folks are the first I thought of ......

Long story as short as I can make it
    For over 30 years I have handloaded for my .270 with Nosler Ballistic tips. During load development I found I had to slow them down to 3000fps at the muzzle or anything I hit under 100 yards- the bullet exploded. After slowing the bullet down, I have taken hundreds of deer, a large number of elk, antelope, caribou, coyotes etc. None of the animals went over 50 yards and the large majority dropped in their tracks.
    Three years ago, I was given a 300 Win Mag. I also found a honey hole for elk that is 25 miles from the house. I loaded some Nosler Ballistic tips up as I had awesome luck with them in the 270. The load data I use had the rounds coming out at about 3050 so I dropped the load to 2950 fps. The first year I hit a cow elk at 100 yards and snapped her neck. My wife is using the same bullets out of a 308 and she put 6 rounds in a mule deer before he dropped (still not dead). Then last year I had a cow elk take three of the rounds right behind the shoulder and she ran almost half a mile before she dropped. Then I had a mule deer get up and walk off after two rounds at 50 yards- 1 right behind the shoulder and one dead center to the chest. I never found him. I was flabbergasted. I decided it was the bullets that were causing the issue. I contacted Nosler and they said the Ballistic tip wasn't designed for big deer and above. I thought this was weird as the box I had in my hand stated it was good for elk and my 270 had one hell of a record of dropping the elk where they stood. Anyhow, On their advice I started loading Accu bond bullets.
    Two days ago I shot a cow elk. She ran across a ditch and a total of about 20 yards, stood for a bit (30 sec/1 min), then fell over dead. The shot was at about 100 yards or so. I found the bullet on the off side, between ribs and hide.... it didn't hit any bones (may have clipped a rib but not sure). The bullet mushroomed very nicely. My question (finally) is if that bullet only went across the body at 100 yards- is it going to do the job at 400, 600 yards (my current self imposed limit on range is 650. The last thing I want to do, for me and for the animal, is to have an extended recovery.

I am about tempted to go back to the .270 but that shortens my comfortable range back down to 400.

I made that as short as I could- and it's still long, sorry. What do you folks think?
    Nosler recommends the ballistic tip for hogs, antelope and deer but not elk according to their web site. Obviously since you took a cow with them they work but probably aren't optimal. I think I'd step up to a round specifically designed for big game, the Partiton has a solid reputation on big game (although I've never been able to get them to shoot well in my 6.5x55 Swede) and the Barnes X solids have an excellent reputation too. The Barnes X is probably what I would choose for a big critter like elk or moose. For whitetails I've had excellent results with Sierra GameKing 140gr SPBT in my 6.5 and the 200gr ProHunters in my .35 Rem. There's a lot of premium bullets out there so I'd do some research and step up from the ballistic tips.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks