Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New garden

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    It is your garden. You try it the way you want and it will evolve to suit your needs and your pocketbook. We started out with a very small patch (about ten by four feet) and have grown it into an area many times that. we found out this last season that we want to expand the potatoes and tomatoes and use those areas to expant the carrots and onions. The strawberry patch is four by eight feet by itself. Next year we will be adding to the garden with raised beds so we can plant sooner for what seems to be an ever expanding garden.

At our age will will probably start decreasing our garden in a few years just because we can't handle the work load. Be that as it may I have informed my wife that the cantaloupe stays! She told me that she wants to add watermelon. So it isn't shrinking next year at all.

I keep telling my wife that I am not a farmer - I'm a "gentleman rancher". I don't think she gets it though because I am still working in the garden with her. I guess this is what was meant whe we took that oath for better or WORSE. I guess she's worth it though. She gives a lot more than she gets - but she is still happy to be my wife.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (10-17-2014)

Thanks
    Sounds like the life man. I'm happy for your extra workload...that's what shows she's worth it. Well, I am one step closer to my dream and I have a woman that is the biggest pain in the ass at times but that's why I know she'll be there til the end. Thanks for the advice

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Don't know how big your family is or what you enjoy eating. There's just two of us and we did a 20 X 20 cut out garden in the back yard. It's surrounded on both sides by tall hard and soft wood trees. We've also got a 10 X 20 patch on the side of the house for beans and a 10 X 10 patch on the other side of the house next to the drive way.

We planted beans tomatoes, peppers, Cukes and so far have since 1 Jul taken about three ponds of vegies out every two day. Got right at two plus pounds of peppers and beans today.

We've also started our late fall planting of carrots, turnips and cabbages.

One thing that works well when you first start out is to plant beans or peas - any kind it doesn't really matter as they will help rebuild any nutrient loss existing in the soil.

We used miracle grow and it seems to work pretty well, but a buddy south of us uses chicken poop and his vegies (he's got four adults to feed) seem to produce quite a bit more. Course he's had his garden right at 15 years now and ours has only been in place for less than three

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarge7402 For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (10-18-2014)

Thanks
    Right now it's 4 of us including a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The end goal is to make enough veggies and stuff to feed us plus stock some more. I'm starting with 0 food preps except for the 2 week shopping we usually have.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cleared an acre of mixed woods last year. I planted a few fruit trees on the back of it and some blackberries and asparugus. The soil is lacking. Whenever I get time I am going to get a few cubic yards of composted cow manure tilled in. I really hope to knock it out soon. The soil isn't really usable as it is now.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RWalls For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (10-19-2014)

Thanks
    I can't wait to get blackberries and fruit trees planted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12