Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have you chosen various bug-out locations?

Hybrid View

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

have you chosen various bug-out locations?

It seems like this website is more open-minded and less concerned about "rules". So, if SHTF or worse, have you looked for locations within a gas-tank's drive from where you live? Even if you live at your BOL, I think you agree that shit can happen anywhere and you have to have a back-up plan, yeah?

One thing I've done is looked for vacation spots that might be empty. There is this cabin system in Colorado called the 10th mountain division huts where you can rent a hut used by the military decades ago that often require a hike from your car, so not just anyone can get to them. They sometimes are decently insulated and have a fireplace/stove.

Also rest stops along scenic routes. Some of these are closed on 2-3 sides with fireplaces.

Not ideal, but if you have no place to go or all your standard options are also under evacuation threat...

also, this exercise is good to eliminate places. I had thought about some of the tunnels in Colorado, but getting every idiot to turn off their car while in the tunnel seems very unlikely, so we'd all die from exhaust fumes.

Where are some of your secondary BOL options?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,722 Times in 3,588 Posts
    I have actually used Realtor.com to identify "places of interest". Just looking at the pictures will tell you if the place is occupied or vacant. and they are usually mapped. Now to get finances in line so I can buy a place and get it ready for when I retire.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

lopie (12-30-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    I have actually used Realtor.com to identify "places of interest". Just looking at the pictures will tell you if the place is occupied or vacant. and they are usually mapped. Now to get finances in line so I can buy a place and get it ready for when I retire.

I like it! Clever. But I guess you'd have to keep that data pretty fresh to know where might be a good emergency BOL?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,197 Times in 4,799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I live on a rural, 10 acre homestead, in a neighborhood of like-minded people, outside of a town that most maps don’t even show. I plan to bug-in. However, I also own a small, unimproved piece of land about an hours drive from here, in woodlands. I also have a 750 acre farm in the mountains of TN, if need be, and if I think I can make it. I have options.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-30-2018),Kfilly (03-19-2019),lopie (12-30-2018),MountainGirl (01-28-2019),Slippy (12-30-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    some of us old 'uns are at our bols already

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (01-02-2019),Coastie dad (01-02-2019),MountainGirl (01-28-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    some of us old 'uns are at our bols already
    but stuff happens, yeah? You might have to bug out of wherever you live.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lopie For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-02-2019),Innkeeper (12-31-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopie View Post
    but stuff happens, yeah? You might have to bug out of wherever you live.
    Naw.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-01-2019),MountainGirl (01-28-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,273 Times in 4,332 Posts
    I'm sitting in my BOL, . . . using my keyboard, . . . which of course will not most likely be the case when TEOTWAWKI occurs.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1: If your BOL is more than 50 miles from your present location, . . . you will most likely have to cross a river or two. River bridges are man made and handy funnel points, . . . and God help you if it is the Mississippi or Ohio you have to cross. Bridges are far apart, . . . easily taken over by bands of thugs who will demand (and get) just about whatever they want from you in order to traverse the span.

AND, . . . if you think a firefight is a great idea, . . . just remember that it is probably their buddies who also have the other side.

If you have to do a BOL, . . . try to pick routes that will not cause you to have to cross rivers. Here in central Ohio, . . . I cannot go hardly anyplace without having to cross at least one, . . . sometimes two, . . . or the same one multiple times. Each bridge is a funnel point for blackmail and robbery, . . . if not beating and being raped.

2: When the stuff is dripping off the fan blades, . . . there is the potential for up to and including 2,200,000 (2.2 million) thieves, thugs, robbers, murderers, and assorted other bushwhackers to be on the loose, . . . with no means of support, . . . no prepping done, . . . probably no close family to help them: they are the inmates of our penal systems.

Once the civilization goes down, . . . many of them will find a way to "get out of jail", . . . and they'll open the doors for many of their buddies. Seeing that there are some 3000 counties in the US, . . . this averages down to about 750 hardened criminals, . . . all looking for your stash, your cash, your clothes, your food, your wife, daughter, and girlfriend, . . . and they do not have anything to trade for it.

While you are looking at a BOL, . . . and what it offers, . . . remember you have to get there in one piece, . . . and you have to hold on to it.

Best wishes, . . . may God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-31-2018),Sparkyprep (12-30-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    I'm sitting in my BOL, . . . using my keyboard, . . . which of course will not most likely be the case when TEOTWAWKI occurs.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1: If your BOL is more than 50 miles from your present location, . . . you will most likely have to cross a river or two. River bridges are man made and handy funnel points, . . . and God help you if it is the Mississippi or Ohio you have to cross. Bridges are far apart, . . . easily taken over by bands of thugs who will demand (and get) just about whatever they want from you in order to traverse the span.

AND, . . . if you think a firefight is a great idea, . . . just remember that it is probably their buddies who also have the other side.

If you have to do a BOL, . . . try to pick routes that will not cause you to have to cross rivers. Here in central Ohio, . . . I cannot go hardly anyplace without having to cross at least one, . . . sometimes two, . . . or the same one multiple times. Each bridge is a funnel point for blackmail and robbery, . . . if not beating and being raped.

2: When the stuff is dripping off the fan blades, . . . there is the potential for up to and including 2,200,000 (2.2 million) thieves, thugs, robbers, murderers, and assorted other bushwhackers to be on the loose, . . . with no means of support, . . . no prepping done, . . . probably no close family to help them: they are the inmates of our penal systems.

Once the civilization goes down, . . . many of them will find a way to "get out of jail", . . . and they'll open the doors for many of their buddies. Seeing that there are some 3000 counties in the US, . . . this averages down to about 750 hardened criminals, . . . all looking for your stash, your cash, your clothes, your food, your wife, daughter, and girlfriend, . . . and they do not have anything to trade for it.

While you are looking at a BOL, . . . and what it offers, . . . remember you have to get there in one piece, . . . and you have to hold on to it.

Best wishes, . . . may God bless,
    Dwight
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure I posted my question properly. I guess what I'm asking is if y'all have located "stealth" BOLs or, technically, illegal campsites or even illegal breaking-and-entering opportunities.

For example, if you're on vacation in your car and an EMP happens, even your car is dead. You see off in the distance a public library with a massive storm rolling in. Your choice is to rough it in or near your car or break into the library.

What do you do?

If you break into the library, please turn to page 86. If you camp in your car, please turn to page 117.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lopie For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-02-2019),shootbrownelk (01-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,197 Times in 4,799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lopie View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure I posted my question properly. I guess what I'm asking is if y'all have located "stealth" BOLs or, technically, illegal campsites or even illegal breaking-and-entering opportunities.

For example, if you're on vacation in your car and an EMP happens, even your car is dead. You see off in the distance a public library with a massive storm rolling in. Your choice is to rough it in or near your car or break into the library.

What do you do?

If you break into the library, please turn to page 86. If you camp in your car, please turn to page 117.
    Of course, in a situation where you are far from home, with unexpected circumstances, the ability to improvise is crucial. That is something totally different from a “bug out location”. Temporary shelter must be improvised, by definition. All bets are off in that situation, but I would caution against using shelters that “seem” to be uninhabited. The rightful owner might come home, unexpectedly, and fully armed. Public places, such as the library in your hypothetical situation, will also be considered by a LOT of other people, and cause you to find yourself in an un-needed confrontation. The best way to win a fight, is to not be in one. At any rate, your goal should always be to get back “home”.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (12-31-2018),Innkeeper (12-31-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast