Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could you survive with what's in your pockets?

Could you survive with what's in your pockets?

In the spirit of the event that pissed me off at a couple of expert old timers on another forum, I'll post this question here.

Could you, if placed in a survival/emergency situation, on any given day, survive with what's in your pockets for say, 24-36 hours?

Now, over there a comment was made about people not wearing cargo pants every day (which I do) so I'm immediately disqualified from their conversation because they would not believe what I carry in my pockets. Of course, I can't on the unit, but my pocket kit is on my body once I step out the door of the hospital.

So...could you survive for at least 24 hours in town, on the side of a highway, in the woods, underwater, or trapped in the basement of a bordello with what you have in your pockets?
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (01-01-2019),Gambit (01-01-2019),Inor (01-01-2019),rice paddy daddy (01-12-2019),Sarge7402 (01-01-2019),Sasquatch (01-01-2019),Sparkyprep (01-01-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts
    I can manage anything, with very few tools for 24 hours. 72 hours might start to become a problem, especially when I am travelling. And unfortunately, there is very little I can do to remedy the situation since I mostly travel by air and am being looked after by the TSA.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (01-01-2019)

The experts over there only want to talk about " in the woods" but most of us may face an emergency during our work week. Face it, around 5/7 of your week, or about 71% of your daylight hours (assuming daylight work) is spent in a non-woods environment.

Yet I still carry on me Leatherman, knife, light, boo boo bag, firemaking kit, mylar blanket, and cash. Include a gun when not at the hospital. All that is in my cargo pants right now. Yet the other xperts, well, like I said, no one actually wears cargo pants every day and carries all that stuff.

But what they consider a PSK, I think a lot of us consider EDC.

So, could you survive with just your EDC?
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (01-01-2019),Inor (01-01-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,275 Times in 4,333 Posts
    I have enough of my main meds to get me thru 24 to 36 hours, . . . a serious pocket knife, . . . and my fire starter stick, . . . as well as my firearm and some ammo.

Yes, . . . I should be good for up to 36 hours, . . . and if I'm near my vehicle, . . . I have my GHB in there with bunches of other goodies.

Given a situation where I am 100 miles or less from home, . . . that is my destination. Outside of that distance, . . . I'll have to make other arrangements. Get home will be the idea, . . . but I don't pack enough for an extreme distance.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-01-2019),Inor (01-01-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    In the spirit of the event that pissed me off at a couple of expert old timers on another forum, I'll post this question here.

Could you, if placed in a survival/emergency situation, on any given day, survive with what's in your pockets for say, 24-36 hours?

Now, over there a comment was made about people not wearing cargo pants every day (which I do) so I'm immediately disqualified from their conversation because they would not believe what I carry in my pockets. Of course, I can't on the unit, but my pocket kit is on my body once I step out the door of the hospital.

So...could you survive for at least 24 hours in town, on the side of a highway, in the woods, underwater, or trapped in the basement of a bordello with what you have in your pockets?
    Coastie: Those folks are insane. The organization I work for our duty uniform is cargo pants 80% of the time. And you're right once I'm out of the unit I've got stuff to load and last at least 24 hours if not longer. Course I'm not looking at a bug out scene but a get home scene.

And that also includes signing out items from the unit. on a temp basis

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarge7402 For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-01-2019),Innkeeper (01-01-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    is pocket lint useful?
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-01-2019),hawgrider (01-01-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    I don’t wear my 5.11’s every day but I always have the basics on me or within 500 feet. Since I completed my EMT course in between my other college classes I keep a small but useful first aid kit on me at all times. But I am never far from my vehicle no matter if it is work or travel and I always have a GHB in there plus a bigger first aid kit.
    I am not sure what these so called “experts” do on this other site, but even before I retired from the military, and just as much since, I make sure the things I need are always near at hand for when or if I need them.
    If I was caught in a situation where all I had was what was in my pockets then I didn’t read the situation correct and 21 years of military training of always being prepared was wasted. Plus it means the common sense my folks taught me never took.
    Hypothetical situations that can’t happen if your really prepared are less possible then hitting big on the lottery.
    IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    is pocket lint useful?
    Belly button lint to start a fire for the win!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-01-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,610 Times in 2,278 Posts
    During a week day, maybe, I have a small pocket knife, phone, wallet and some cash, my work doesn't allow weapons so non are carried, if
    the weekend and my weekend starts late on Saturday then yes, add a gun and a bigger knife, more cash, to be honest if it were a very harsh
    situation I'll most likely die.
    dramey82

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 400 Posts
    I can't remember the last time I was more than 5 minutes away(walking) from my GHB. Other than a kidnapping/hostage situation having to survive for any period of time with just my pocket stuff isn't going to be necessary. If I have to survive with just what's in my pockets I adequately fill my pockets. Anything less doesn't fit the meaning of "being prepared".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast