Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could you survive with what's in your pockets?

I can patch up minor body fluid leakage, salve a burn or bite, keep myself relatively dry and warm with a mylar blanket, start a fire or three, call for help if I have service, signal for a rescue team, defend myself, buy food, water, if available for purchase, and a bus ticket or cab.

In my pockets, right now, and I'm sitting at home, having just walked in from the barn.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 Times in 4,823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At any given time, in my pockets, I have a folding pocket knife, a Leatherman, a lighter, my wallet, and my phone. If I’m not at work, you can add a S&W Shield to that list. 24-48 hours would be no problem. I am never more than 5 minutes away from my GHB, and with that, I can stretch it out to weeks. If I have my truck as well, I can make it across the country on a moments notice.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,161 Times in 3,914 Posts
    So many variables to a question like this. But for the most part I think I could survive pretty well in just about any situation for that amount of time. If it were going to be longer I would start collecting what I need.

Everyday I carry (my gear) 6 items on my person, 7 if it's daytime.
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

New Kid on the Block
    Thanks
    With a small fixed blade, mini bic, ferro and jute, flashlight,compass... and more importantly that USMC principle called "adapt and overcome"... I believe I could survive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K7JLJ For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-04-2019)

Well, guys, the kids need thing I see repeatedly here and the other forum for s the lack of water container and purification.

Let s hear some thoughts....
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

lopie (01-03-2019),Mister Mills (01-02-2019)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,604 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Well, at work, DEEBO is dead. I have a phone, wallet, and cigarretts and lighter.
    In the truck, I have some gear bags, but I just unloaded most of it, after eight days of tent camping.
    I guess all i can say is "remember me!"
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    In the spirit of the event that pissed me off at a couple of expert old timers on another forum, I'll post this question here.

Could you, if placed in a survival/emergency situation, on any given day, survive with what's in your pockets for say, 24-36 hours?

Now, over there a comment was made about people not wearing cargo pants every day (which I do) so I'm immediately disqualified from their conversation because they would not believe what I carry in my pockets. Of course, I can't on the unit, but my pocket kit is on my body once I step out the door of the hospital.

So...could you survive for at least 24 hours in town, on the side of a highway, in the woods, underwater, or trapped in the basement of a bordello with what you have in your pockets?
    Yes, I could survive, anyone could if they don't freak out, and lose it. I would lay low, until things settled down, that is about 95% of survival. And I always have a knife on me, or a aluminum Jo [walking stick].

PS: I have been hooted down on a martial arts forum, when I called most of it garbage, and posing. That pissed off a lot of posers.

PSS: I am a former EMT and I had Combat Lifesaver training, and it takes a lot to spook me. And I am not the least bit troubled by blood; I can stop the bleeding and save a life, or I can start the bleeding and take a life. I am flexible.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-02-2019),Deebo (01-02-2019),Innkeeper (01-04-2019)

Well, guys, the kids need thing I see repeatedly here and the other forum for s the lack of water container and purification.

Attachment 5797
    If I am fortunate, I will have some of this on hand, or I will buy some mach schnell. It is 8.25% chlorine bleach, and it will purify a lot of water, pretty fast.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 Times in 4,823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Water strained through a t shirt and boiled is fine to drink. You are never more than 10 ft. from garbage, so find a soda can and build a fire. The most essential survival tool you can have is between your ears.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-02-2019),Deebo (01-02-2019),Innkeeper (01-04-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

If I had a belt container, I'd be pretty set with what's on my person (pockets, belt, neck), but the whole reason I went down the PSK (on me) path was the inconspicuous nature of it. I can carry a lot of stuff with no one knowing... so when a backpack seems inappropriate or unavailable I have stuff. Wearing a canteen would get questions asked.

So, my limited answer at the moment is ziplok bags and water purification tablets or liquid*. I have a few quart bags and a few gallon bags. The gallon bags to hold the quart bag (which is perfect size for the purification tablet).

* I carry Oil of Oregano essential oil, 0.5 ounce bottle in my FAK pouch which is always in one of my cargo pockets.
    yeah, never mind

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lopie For This Useful Post:

Coastie dad (01-03-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast