Thread: How Long to Boil Drinking Water until Safe or Disinfected?

How Long to Boil Drinking Water until Safe or Disinfected?

It seems a couple here have a new interest in this stuff so back to basics-

90 percent of the world’s water is contaminated in some way according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. There are a variety of microscopic organisms that can contaminate water supplies. They can cause potentially serious, even fatal, illnesses among wilderness travelers.

Dipping your head into a cold mountain stream and taking a long refreshing drink. It’s an experience that has basically vanished from the wilderness and other areas.

In the wilderness,
    enjoy- https://modernsurvivalblog.com/healt...rinking-water/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (01-07-2019),Coastie dad (01-07-2019),TJC44 (01-07-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I usually forget and it boils for a few more minutes, then I strain it with cloth
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-07-2019)

I usually strain/filter first into my boil pot. A Sawyer squeeze or mini works if you don't carry a pump filter, but I try to carry the pump style to keep from dipping my hands into the water if I'm leery of it.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-07-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,257 Times in 5,903 Posts
    Maybe someone that resides in Flint can chime in on what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Maybe someone that resides in Flint can chime in on what works for them.
    You can't even boil that water!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Rich1028 (01-13-2019),shootbrownelk (01-07-2019)

It's the damned chemicals in the water. A lot of our water was polluted due to run off from chicken houses. I've got to have my well checked AGAIN this year. That's why the county put in city water for free. Because their laws allowed the pollution to continue, I'm sure with several palms being greased.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (01-07-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    I know a couple sweet clean and very cold artesian wells up my way, one guy even put some pipes in his to run it back to the river near him to keep from flooding his yard. But boy is it great on a hot summer day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (01-07-2019),Coastie dad (01-07-2019),hawgrider (01-07-2019),shootbrownelk (01-07-2019)

I've got a spring by my house, but same deal. We have to have the water tested annually. Gonna have to set up a large "water" distillery.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    I've got a spring by my house, but same deal. We have to have the water tested annually. Gonna have to set up a large "water" distillery.
    "Coastie's Pure Spring Water" Available at The Outdoor Trading Post.

What do you think?
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

In an undisclosed "proof"..