Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Farting around with leather.

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Well... good questions. The original had no welt on either side just thread and the rivets. So I thought I'd do better by adding the welt to the blade edge side.

There was a issue/challenge with the welt making the leather too thick to set the brass rivets that were left in my dads box and I really wanted to use those rivets.

So I got around the 3 pieces being to thick by skiveing the leather up where the rivet went on the welt side. At this point I wasn't sure if it was going to work. And to tell you the truth I hadn't thought about a welt on the other side since its not a fold over design. So you caught the rookie asleep at the wheel lol.

I can see how on a stacked design the welt on both side may be a better way to go. It did work out pretty well as its a nice cozy fit no knife rattle when in the sheath. I did have trouble with the old snap I had. The chrome started coming off the cap when I set it on the snap anvil. I think when I buy snaps I'll get nickel and no chrome.
    That's the best part of working with leather, there's no wrong way to do anything. That was a creative work around for the short rivets. Having the welt go completely around the blade like I do may be a little extraneous since it's not really necessary. I do like the look of a welted sheath, the layers of leather always remind me of the old stacked leather knife handles. Regardless of how it's assembled, it's a great looking sheath, very appropriate for an old stag handled Bowie.
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-27-2019),StratBastard (02-26-2019)

I've got this hunk of deer hide that my dad had in his scrap bag and I'm pretty sure its from a few hides he had tanned that I blasted back in the 70's. I'd like to use what I can of it and so far all I can think of is maybe make a few of these pouches. What else could I make with it any ideas?

Here is the deer hide he had tanned.

Made this pouch out of some of that hide today.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Infidel (03-04-2019),RubberDuck (03-05-2019)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    The pouches are a good idea, a shop apron would be good also. Moccasins might be a worthy use of those hides also but may be difficult to make (I haven't tried it yet). Pick up a couple of Rabbit hides and make you some nice warm mittens for those cold winter days, you could try gloves also but mittens would be a whole lot simpler. I purse for your wife would be a good way to stay in her good graces also.
    That's what I got off the top of my head.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    The pouches are a good idea, a shop apron would be good also. Moccasins might be a worthy use of those hides also but may be difficult to make (I haven't tried it yet). Pick up a couple of Rabbit hides and make you some nice warm mittens for those cold winter days, you could try gloves also but mittens would be a whole lot simpler. I purse for your wife would be a good way to stay in her good graces also.
    That's what I got off the top of my head.

-Infidel
    She stole the pouch so no purse for her!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Infidel (03-05-2019),RubberDuck (03-05-2019),StratBastard (03-05-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    She stole the pouch so no purse for her!
    It reminded her of a nut sack so at least she has a good pouch to keep your nuts in.

Don't care who ya are that's funny shit right there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-05-2019),Slippy (03-05-2019),StratBastard (03-05-2019),TJC44 (03-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    It reminded her of a nut sack so at least she has a good pouch to keep your nuts in.

Don't care who ya are that's funny shit right there.

Har har har!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (03-05-2019),StratBastard (03-05-2019)

The wife has been using up my small scrap pieces. She's making earings, necklaces and key chain stuff.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-08-2019),Infidel (03-08-2019),MountainGirl (03-08-2019),RubberDuck (03-08-2019),StratBastard (03-08-2019)

Screwed around after work and made this thing that I'll store my Walkers Game Ears in.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Infidel (03-08-2019),RubberDuck (03-09-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 46,396 Times in 13,214 Posts
    The wife has been using up my small scrap pieces. She's making earings, necklaces and key chain stuff.

Hey, these would look GREAT on a buckskin Cowboy or Cowgirl vest/jacket... maybe even an awesome doomsday sorta six gun tie down rig. Nice!
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

18. The Following User Says Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-09-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    Just got my new Hawgmade buck knife sheath and dig it.
    Ride height and retention is spot on with smooth one hand out an in operation.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-24-2019),Infidel (03-26-2019)

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast