Name:	jake1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	5967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jake2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	5968

This recent and still ongoing snow event confirmed our need to be ready. We had just enough of a break yesterday to dig out and run down for more gas for the generator. Our solar system is big enough for our needs, but only up to a point... and that point is having 2 weeks of no sun, and no gas left. We were right at the edge of shutting down all electricals (to save the last of the batteries for the well pump) when the break came. Oh, we'd have survived: wood heat, snow for water, plenty of food stocked etc... but it would be nice to be able to charge a phone.

Does anyone have any ideas, input, recommendations, etc, for a portable solar charger for a cell phone? Or maybe a solar charger into a little battery pack to charge a phone with? Not sure which way to go here.... I know it takes sunlight (lol) and likely wouldn't have done the job these last two weeks...but... IF our big system ever went totally tits-up for good - a phone would be a nice thing to keep functional somehow.

I've searched online to see what's out there, and how to do this, but reviews vary too much... so anything you can share about how you would do it - would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 4,800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a "Dragon" solar charger for my phone in my GHB. It has a built-in battery, and claims that it can charge two devices at once. (I've never tried it). I does fine charging up my phone, and because of the battery, it can even charge my phone without sunlight. Got it on Amazon. Maybe not the best, but adequate for me in an emergency.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-17-2019),shootbrownelk (02-18-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 14,733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are portable chargers out there, but I can't find them now. Maybe Tomorrow, but I have a drug test then.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-17-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 14,733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Knot in trouble, pre - employment screen for dementia clients local.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Proud Deplorable

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-17-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,275 Times in 4,333 Posts
    You are obviously using light bulbs in the house.

If you use a "grow light" that is supposed to mimic the sun, . . . would it not also work your solar charger??

I don't know if it would work, . . . but if it were my dilemma, . . . I would be tempted to take a whack at it. Since you have to have electrical lights burning, . . . replace one with a grow light and see what happens.

AND, . . . I wouldn't put all my money in that particular Amazon idea, . . . some solar chargers do work after the light has come thru a window. My wife has several little solar powered toys in our kitchen window that work all day long while the sun is out.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-17-2019),shootbrownelk (02-18-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    I have a "Dragon" solar charger for my phone in my GHB. It has a built-in battery, and claims that it can charge two devices at once. (I've never tried it). I does fine charging up my phone, and because of the battery, it can even charge my phone without sunlight. Got it on Amazon. Maybe not the best, but adequate for me in an emergency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Thanks, Sparky, I'll check it out. Do you recall how long it took in the sun to charge the battery up for you?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    You are obviously using light bulbs in the house.

If you use a "grow light" that is supposed to mimic the sun, . . . would it not also work your solar charger??

I don't know if it would work, . . . but if it were my dilemma, . . . I would be tempted to take a whack at it. Since you have to have electrical lights burning, . . . replace one with a grow light and see what happens.

AND, . . . I wouldn't put all my money in that particular Amazon idea, . . . some solar chargers do work after the light has come thru a window. My wife has several little solar powered toys in our kitchen window that work all day long while the sun is out.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Hi Dwight, thanks for your reply!

I googled your idea... and it looks like any kind of artificial light could be used to charge through a solar cell - IF it's bright enough..seems I recall having an old TI calculator that kept itself charged under my desk light.

What I'm tryin to do, is have a way to charge a phone while out in the boonies totally, without a cabin light to use or plugged into the cabin's solar system to charge directly. LOL solar toys; we have a daisy with a bee on it in the kitchen window that flaps its leaves & clicks all the time & drives the cats nutz. I like that.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 400 Posts
    A good sized UPS (uninterruptible power supply) like used on computer equipment. Charges during the times of good power, runs for a while when power is down. I have several, main use is to protect electronics from nasty power. When the power is out I shut down the electronics and use them to charge phones and power things like small battery chargers and LED lights.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreAmmoOK For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-17-2019),Sparkyprep (02-17-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreAmmoOK View Post
    A good sized UPS (uninterruptible power supply) like used on computer equipment. Charges during the times of good power, runs for a while when power is down. I have several, main use is to protect electronics from nasty power. When the power is out I shut down the electronics and use them to charge phones and power things like small battery chargers and LED lights.
    I have several large UPS, on my computer, Direct TV receiver, etc. I never thought of using them to charge cell phones. Thanks!

Proud Deplorable

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast