Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to charge?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,205 Times in 4,801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Thanks, Sparky, I'll check it out. Do you recall how long it took in the sun to charge the battery up for you?
    It took quite a while. About 10 hrs in bright light. It will take longer on cloudy days.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-17-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreAmmoOK View Post
    A good sized UPS (uninterruptible power supply) like used on computer equipment. Charges during the times of good power, runs for a while when power is down. I have several, main use is to protect electronics from nasty power. When the power is out I shut down the electronics and use them to charge phones and power things like small battery chargers and LED lights.
    Hi, thanks!
    The UPS itself is charged up though with "good power" which I take to mean grid or gen or large solar system; i.e with an inverter.. Is that right?

Got butthurt in August 2021 Back Pack Hack's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Hi, thanks!
    The UPS itself is charged up though with "good power" which I take to mean grid or gen or large solar system; i.e with an inverter.. Is that right?
    Yes. A UPS is basically a battery bank, very similar to what you're already using. They're typically free-standing, self-contained units. You hook them up to utility/generator power, and they have chargers built into them to charge & maintain the batteries.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Back Pack Hack For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-18-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,205 Times in 4,801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...?skuId=3938817

I have 3 of these in my home, backing up and protecting various systems.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts
    I have a little solar charger that came with our emergency radio that works great. The thing is maybe 7X10 inches when fully unrolled and has a micro-USB connection on it. It takes about 3-4 hours to charge either of our phones from about 50%. I do not know how many watts it puts out, but I have run a Raspberry Pi directly from it with no additional power and it works fine. Plus it is flexible so it rolls up into a roll less than an inch in diameter.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-18-2019),MountainGirl (02-18-2019),StratBastard (02-17-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,275 Times in 4,333 Posts
    Hi Dwight, thanks for your reply!

I googled your idea... and it looks like any kind of artificial light could be used to charge through a solar cell - IF it's bright enough..seems I recall having an old TI calculator that kept itself charged under my desk light.

What I'm tryin to do, is have a way to charge a phone while out in the boonies totally, without a cabin light to use or plugged into the cabin's solar system to charge directly. LOL solar toys; we have a daisy with a bee on it in the kitchen window that flaps its leaves & clicks all the time & drives the cats nutz. I like that.
    The other thing you can do is get a GM alternator off any fairly late model GM car (others may work as well).

You only need three things for it to work: 1) mount it securely, . . . 2) run a shaft up from it thru the roof to a wind catcher that looks like half balls on the end of sticks, . . . they turn easy in almost no breeze, . . . 3) a battery for the alternator to charge. They have a built in voltage regulator, . . . so you can safely leave it hooked up to that battery indefinitely, . . . and with your inverter hooked to the battery, . . . you can charge all sorts of stuff.

I'm gonna fix one here at my place later this year, . . . for the same reasons.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-18-2019)

Got butthurt in August 2021 Back Pack Hack's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,182 Posts
    If'n you're handy with small electronics projects and soldering:

Git yessef some TEC1-12706 thermoelectric peltier podules and one or two L7805 voltage regulators. The former will produce electricity from heat (like a fire), the latter will regulate it to 5VDC. Splice in a USB cord and you're charging devices off your woodburner.

Probably the same technology built into these.

You can buy 10 peltier modules and 20 regulators online for less than $25, so you can make several chargers.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Back Pack Hack For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-17-2019),MountainGirl (02-18-2019)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    I'm going out on a limb here, but there has to be some kinda "hand crank" that charge a battery?
    Also, there are ways to convert 9V batteries to charge a cellphone, its slow, but better than a dead battery.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-18-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    The other thing you can do is get a GM alternator off any fairly late model GM car (others may work as well).

You only need three things for it to work: 1) mount it securely, . . . 2) run a shaft up from it thru the roof to a wind catcher that looks like half balls on the end of sticks, . . . they turn easy in almost no breeze, . . . 3) a battery for the alternator to charge. They have a built in voltage regulator, . . . so you can safely leave it hooked up to that battery indefinitely, . . . and with your inverter hooked to the battery, . . . you can charge all sorts of stuff.

I'm gonna fix one here at my place later this year, . . . for the same reasons.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Another good idea. Thanks!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    If'n you're handy with small electronics projects and soldering:

Git yessef some TEC1-12706 thermoelectric peltier podules and one or two L7805 voltage regulators. The former will produce electricity from heat (like a fire), the latter will regulate it to 5VDC. Splice in a USB cord and you're charging devices off your woodburner.

Probably the same technology built into these.

You can buy 10 peltier modules and 20 regulators online for less than $25, so you can make several chargers.
    Well now, thats one interesting link; thanks! Ya know, I've been watching this thing spin all winter and your idea would work great on the sunless days of winter (of which today will be day 15 for that...) Hmmmm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ecofan.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	5973

I have an idea. Need to think on this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast