Thread: 2019 Gardening Thread

Hybrid View

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,462 Times in 5,153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    My land had a bunch of wild blackberries which gave us a great bounty until we built the house.

We realized then that the blackberries were in all the wrong places near my roads and trails and as I was bush hogging or riding the 4 Wheeler to maintain and enjoy my land, the thorns would cut the hell out of me.

1 month a year they produced sweet/tangy fruit and 11 months they cut the hell out of us? Rick Vs Reward was not there so...

...So I finally mowed most of them down, most but not all. Every year around June I sort of regret it! But we still harvest a bucket or two per year...
    Yummmm blackberries! Had them all around as a kid back in the flats...not sure if there are any around here or not. Glad you kept some.

I'd love to expand our wild huckleberry patch - but for some reason, those critters dont like to be moved or messed with...nothing. They're totally determined to do it the wild way or not at all LOL. What I might try - is to clear/improve the area around them - to see if they'll spread on their own. They sell for $80/gallon up here but we eat all of ours; in the summer mornings for a couple months Tom will run down the hill & pick a pint for pancakes.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-05-2019),Slippy (02-28-2019),StratBastard (02-27-2019)