Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baird Brothers Build a Portable Fire

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    Before seeing this, . . . I thought maybe I had seen every silly knot headed device known to man.

I was wrong, . . .

But, . . . no doubt invented by some San Francisco resident with a master's degree in engineering, . . . afraid of what might happen, . . . plans to bug out to the wilds of Oakland when SHTF.

But if he gets that string caught on a branch or somehow in moving stuff in and out of his surplus Alice pack, . . . just could get nasty.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (03-26-2019),shootbrownelk (11-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    Before seeing this, . . . I thought maybe I had seen every silly knot headed device known to man.

I was wrong, . . .

But, . . . no doubt invented by some San Francisco resident with a master's degree in engineering, . . . afraid of what might happen, . . . plans to bug out to the wilds of Oakland when SHTF.

But if he gets that string caught on a branch or somehow in moving stuff in and out of his surplus Alice pack, . . . just could get nasty.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Well what if its been pouring rain for a week and everything is soaked and you fell into an icy river so now Hypothermia is a real problem? But if you have just one of those? Now you will start a fire quickly. I personally see a value with one of those.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Well what if its been pouring rain for a week and everything is soaked and you fell into an icy river so now Hypothermia is a real problem? But if you have just one of those? Now you will start a fire quickly. I personally see a value with one of those.
    1. If , . . . and that is a big word, . . . IF it also is totally impervious to the rain and icy river.

AND

2. It will not be any better than my bug out bag with tubes of mag shavings and my striker. THEY ARE impervious to icy waters and a week of pouring rain.

AND, . . . I'll bet my fire starter cost a WHOLE GREAT BIG BUNCH less than that wannabe prepper idea.

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-27-2019),shootbrownelk (11-03-2019)

1. If , . . . and that is a big word, . . . IF it also is totally impervious to the rain and icy river.

AND

2. It will not be any better than my bug out bag with tubes of mag shavings and my striker. THEY ARE impervious to icy waters and a week of pouring rain.

AND, . . . I'll bet my fire starter cost a WHOLE GREAT BIG BUNCH less than that wannabe prepper idea.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    But... do your mag shavings burn for 30 minutes drying soaking wet wood you found on the forrest floor in the week long rainstorm lol!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    But... do your mag shavings burn for 30 minutes drying soaking wet wood you found on the forrest floor in the week long rainstorm lol!
    In a word, . . . yes. Magnesium shavings burn hotter than the proverbial firecracker, . . . are relatively easy to start, . . . and Hawg, you know as well as I do, . . . there IS DRY stuff, . . . or reasonably so, . . . in all deep woods we go into. Just a matter of looking in the right place.

As a boy scout I struggled a bit building a fire, . . . but I learned how, . . . and depending on a box with a pull rope just ain't one of them.

I'm afraid anyone "depending" on them might wind up on the short end of the straw if that is their only or even just "major" fire starter appliance.

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-27-2019)

In a word, . . . yes. Magnesium shavings burn hotter than the proverbial firecracker, . . . are relatively easy to start, . . . and Hawg, you know as well as I do, . . . there IS DRY stuff, . . . or reasonably so, . . . in all deep woods we go into. Just a matter of looking in the right place.

As a boy scout I struggled a bit building a fire, . . . but I learned how, . . . and depending on a box with a pull rope just ain't one of them.

I'm afraid anyone "depending" on them might wind up on the short end of the straw if that is their only or even just "major" fire starter appliance.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    And then there was Boy scout water ! Haha Scouting was fun. Watching my dad catch a gallon of Coleman fuel on fire in a rain storm was priceless he chucked that sucker like a hot tator!!!! LMAO!
    Last edited by hawgrider; 03-27-2019 at 09:06 AM.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,727 Posts
    Wow, saw ways to make fire I never would have seen at the green place! Awesome.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,257 Times in 5,903 Posts
    No, probably not. But a flare will start a fire PDQ.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (11-04-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12