Thread: Do I chance wrecking a Benchmade knife?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts

Do I chance wrecking a Benchmade knife?

About 3 1/2 years ago Mrs Inor bought me a really nice Benchmade knife for my birthday. It is by far the finest knife I have ever owned. She must have paid close to $200 for it. Everything about it is perfect except the edge.

The edge is one of those double-ground edges. The primary angle is about 25° but the secondary angle is about 35°. It holds an edge extremely well and chops like a SOB. But it is not a good slicing knife.

I have been thinking about re-angling it for a few months. I have been thinking of trying a 30° angle first and if it still does not slice well, drop it back to a full 25°. But on such a quality knife, I am wondering if I should take the chance of wrecking it

I do have a high quality sharpening system (the Apex Pro).

What do ya'll think? (I am NOT asking this on the green site because I do not need Tourist lecturing me about steel and knives and blah blah blah.)
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-16-2019),MI.oldguy (10-16-2019),shootbrownelk (10-16-2019),StratBastard (10-16-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Benchmade knives have a lifetime warranty so if something goes bad just explain to them how you have been using it so much you have had to sharpen it so much it looks like that.
    I love my benchmade, it wasn't a gift of Love like yours, it was issued to me on my first tour overseas but I would hate to lose it. My clip loosened from use and snagging on the vehicle so much I have to use the belt sheath. But I do need to send it in to be fixed, but I digress.
    These choices are hard to make and we can't ever give you the answer, but you will find the right one. Enjoy your nice blade.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Inor (10-16-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 5,904 Posts
    Some Buck knives have a lifetime sharpening warranty. I have a fixed blade buck with a gut hook that I bought years ago. I've used it on a couple/3 elk. I should check. Maybe it's time to dig up the box and send it back in for sharpening. It was razor sharp when I got it. I haven't used it in years though, not since I got a Gerber Big Game and a Havalon with the exchangeable blades.....I'm lazy now that I passed 70.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Deebo (10-16-2019),Innkeeper (10-16-2019)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    WHAT???
    Please don't even mention a knife on the green site, you will be told that knives are better than guns, and that you gotta have 7 million grit slury from Okinawa...
    Inor, my friend, sharpen that bad boy up at 30 and let er rip..
    I absolutely know NOTHING about knife degree edges...By the way.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-16-2019),Innkeeper (10-16-2019),Inor (10-16-2019),MI.oldguy (10-16-2019),shootbrownelk (10-17-2019)

What... A knife that won't slice? You bet I'd change the angle. Just keep the blade cool while grinding so you don't change the tempur of the steel.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (10-16-2019)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    I sharpen all my knives on an old Lansky system and at the same 20 deg. angle (that's what the hole is labeled, but it's actually 20 deg per side I believe). I have never had any trouble getting my knives shaving sharp using that angle and the edge holds up well enough for me. Even my Benchmade 943 gets razor sharp and stays that way for a long time. No idea what the original grind was but it's 20 deg per side now. I don't get hung up on what degree of angle to sharpen at, I'm more concerned about the quality of the steel in the blade especially in an EDC knife.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-16-2019),Innkeeper (10-16-2019),Inor (10-16-2019),shootbrownelk (10-17-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,727 Posts
    I think your approach is spot on. Take some off, no good, take a little more off. If it's not working for you something needs to be done so it's to your liking.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1skrewsloose For This Useful Post:

Inor (11-03-2019),shootbrownelk (11-03-2019),Sparkyprep (11-04-2019)