Thanked 14,189 Times in 4,308 Posts

Spring Training Time: back to basics

Just a short one rehearsing the basics.

https://youtu.be/X6pXqlRNs3c

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Inor (04-02-2019),Ricekila (04-03-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    Just a short one rehearsing the basics.

https://youtu.be/X6pXqlRNs3c

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Great sermon brother. I have said the same thing to a colleague, about getting additional meaning with each reading, or in diving deeper. The story of Simon Peter is one such story. Where Jesus asks him if he loves him three times and tells him to Feed his sheep. At first I saw that as Jesus asking for each time Peter denied Jesus.
    But as I looked deeper, the realization that Jesus was getting Peter to acknowledge his human weakness and doubt.

My understanding is that in the original language, jesus question was more in line with..."Do you utterly love me?" and Peters answer was "You know I have great fondness for you". Which is not the same.... So he asks again....with the same answer. And finally he asks again, and Peter says, (para-phrasing) "Jesus you know my heart, (and weakness), I have great fondness for you."

And Jesus says Feed my Sheep..... which to me meant....recognize that you cannot love Jesus as you should, but that should not stop you from trying to do Jesus's bidding.

My 2 cents....Maybe i'm off base...but thats how I saw it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (04-03-2019),Inor (04-02-2019),Ricekila (04-03-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    Great sermon brother. I have said the same thing to a colleague, about getting additional meaning with each reading, or in diving deeper. The story of Simon Peter is one such story. Where Jesus asks him if he loves him three times and tells him to Feed his sheep. At first I saw that as Jesus asking for each time Peter denied Jesus.
    But as I looked deeper, the realization that Jesus was getting Peter to acknowledge his human weakness and doubt.

My understanding is that in the original language, jesus question was more in line with..."Do you utterly love me?" and Peters answer was "You know I have great fondness for you". Which is not the same.... So he asks again....with the same answer. And finally he asks again, and Peter says, (para-phrasing) "Jesus you know my heart, (and weakness), I have great fondness for you."

And Jesus says Feed my Sheep..... which to me meant....recognize that you cannot love Jesus as you should, but that should not stop you from trying to do Jesus's bidding.

My 2 cents....Maybe i'm off base...but thats how I saw it.
    Dwight does great sermons every week. I listen to about 80% of them. Especially when I am travelling, I find great comfort in having a constant in my life no matter what city or country I find myself in. Sometimes I even listen to the same one twice if I am feeling homesick.

I will say, the "Hups!" and "Hos!" got me a bit at first because my Lutheran upbringing was very different. (Lutheran sermons are very bland much like our food.) But once I figured that part out, it is really great stuff!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (04-03-2019),Innkeeper (04-04-2019),Ricekila (04-03-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Dwight does great sermons every week. I listen to about 80% of them. Especially when I am travelling, I find great comfort in having a constant in my life no matter what city or country I find myself in. Sometimes I even listen to the same one twice if I am feeling homesick.

I will say, the "Hups!" and "Hos!" got me a bit at first because my Lutheran upbringing was very different. (Lutheran sermons are very bland much like our food.) But once I figured that part out, it is really great stuff!
    My brother, a Church of God preacher. They get going and they speak in tongue, praying for the pastor as he's praying for the congregation....crazy as all get up. I'm a Berean Baptist guy.....but, long as you love the Lord...how you do it is between you and him.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (04-03-2019),Innkeeper (04-04-2019)