Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GREAT Raised Bed Garden Idea

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts

GREAT Raised Bed Garden Idea

Mrs Inor wants me to build a BUNCH of raised garden beds for M.T. Acres (at least 6, maybe as many as 12). Her initial thought was to build them from concrete blocks. I have been postponing the idea because I really do not want to dig down to pour footings then have to set concrete block, then come up with some kind of finish for the front of the blocks, plus figure out some kind of automatic irrigation. In short, I really, really, really do not want to sign onto that much work.

So in searching alternatives to her plan, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuSBwFkCiAw

Doing something like this gives me the benefit of not having to pour footings. I can dig the trenches for the irrigation pipe before I assemble the gardens. Plus I can be working with 50-100 pound panels of concrete rather than dealing with doing masonry work of setting blocks, but I still get the durability of concrete! That sounds like a win-win-win for me! I'm still putting it off until 2020, but at least I have a great idea of the direction I am going.

What do ya'll think?
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (04-12-2019),Broncosfan (04-12-2019),Gambit (04-12-2019),Innkeeper (04-13-2019),MountainGirl (04-14-2019),shootbrownelk (04-12-2019),Slippy (04-12-2019),StratBastard (04-12-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 47,360 Times in 13,481 Posts
    They sure looked sweet when he put them together. Easy to disassemble also if one wanted to move them to another spot some year.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (04-12-2019),Inor (04-12-2019),shootbrownelk (04-12-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,043 Times in 7,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Mrs Inor wants me to build a BUNCH of raised garden beds for M.T. Acres (at least 6, maybe as many as 12). Her initial thought was to build them from concrete blocks. I have been postponing the idea because I really do not want to dig down to pour footings then have to set concrete block, then come up with some kind of finish for the front of the blocks, plus figure out some kind of automatic irrigation. In short, I really, really, really do not want to sign onto that much work.

So in searching alternatives to her plan, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuSBwFkCiAw

Doing something like this gives me the benefit of not having to pour footings. I can dig the trenches for the irrigation pipe before I assemble the gardens. Plus I can be working with 50-100 pound panels of concrete rather than dealing with doing masonry work of setting blocks, but I still get the durability of concrete! That sounds like a win-win-win for me! I'm still putting it off until 2020, but at least I have a great idea of the direction I am going.

What do ya'll think?
    Not a bad idea Inor, I like it.

I think I've shared my stock tank raised beds with y'all...no bending over! We have 7 of them in the front yard! Here are 3
    Attachment 6461

And our wood raised beds in the back yard made from 6"X6"'s
    Attachment 6462

We hope to plant more veggies this weekend!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (04-12-2019),Inor (04-12-2019),MountainGirl (04-14-2019),StratBastard (04-12-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,275 Times in 4,333 Posts
    OK, . . . I'm up for some edumacation, . . .

WHY bother with a raised bed???

They all have to be weeded by hand, . . . can't plow or rototill the things, . . . are a pain in the rear to mow around, . . . and reduce the garden space to a few feet.

So why are they popular?

What are the advantages?

Somebody want to edumacate me???

Thanks, may God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

hag (04-13-2019),Inor (04-12-2019),Slippy (04-12-2019),StratBastard (04-12-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post

They all have to be weeded by hand, . . . can't plow or rototill the things, . . . are a pain in the rear to mow around, . . . and reduce the garden space to a few feet.

So why are they popular?

What are the advantages?

Thanks, may God bless,
    Dwight
    The ground where we live is insanely hard to dig. There is a layer of coleche (spelling?) about 12 inches thick that is literally harder than concrete. Even digging through it with a backhoe is very difficult. In other words, it is not good ground to dig a garden down into the ground. In terms of mowing, we do not mow. Once per year, I hire a neighbor to come down with a brush hog and cut down the weeds, but that is really all we have for "lawn maintenance". Eventually, once I get the Art Shack done and figure out where my Outdoor Kitchen is going, I will haul in some pea gravel for the rest of the area. Then we will not even need to brush hog it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

StratBastard (04-12-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,275 Times in 4,333 Posts
    OK, . . . I can see that in your area, . . . makes really good sense, . . .

Over where my buddy lived in Tucson, . . . nothing but sand, . . . I could wrap my head around that as well.

But why in Ohio, Pa, Ny, Ill, Indiana, . . .????

Never quite figured that one out

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (04-12-2019),hag (04-13-2019),Inor (04-12-2019),Slippy (04-12-2019),StratBastard (04-12-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,333 Times in 5,924 Posts

So why are they popular?

What are the advantages?

Thanks, may God bless,
    Dwight
    When I had a raised bed garden, I used old RR ties drilled and staked together with rebar. You can add really good topsoil and fertilizer and weed without getting a backache. I really liked ours, this concrete idea looks good. I like the stock tank idea better, less bending. I have a 40'x50' shop where the garden used to be.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (04-13-2019),Inor (04-12-2019),MountainGirl (04-14-2019),Slippy (04-12-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    When I had a raised bed garden, I used old RR ties drilled and staked together with rebar. You can add really good topsoil and fertilizer and weed without getting a backache. I really liked ours, this concrete idea looks good. I like the stock tank idea better, less bending. I have a 40'x50' shop where the garden used to be.
    I like the idea of a 40' x 50' shop even better! But that ain't gonna fly with Mrs Inor until after I get the damn gardens done.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (04-12-2019),Innkeeper (04-13-2019),MountainGirl (04-14-2019),shootbrownelk (04-13-2019),Slippy (04-12-2019),StratBastard (04-12-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 Times in 1,559 Posts
    OK, . . . I can see that in your area, . . . makes really good sense, . . .

Over where my buddy lived in Tucson, . . . nothing but sand, . . . I could wrap my head around that as well.

But why in Ohio, Pa, Ny, Ill, Indiana, . . .????

Never quite figured that one out

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I am switching over to raised beds here also.Too much clay to be able to get the soil structure right. My garden as went downhill the last couple of years. I have added more than enough amendments to the soil to build the new raised beds and the soil is no way any better. Raised beds are easier to weed. Also you can plant only veggies with your tomatoes in the bed. The bed stay less compacted so no need to till. Just loosen with a ground claw etc.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Inor (04-13-2019),MountainGirl (04-14-2019),Slippy (04-12-2019),StratBastard (04-12-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 Times in 1,559 Posts
    I forgt one of the most important things about raised bed. A lot better drainage than my clay based soil. Water logged tomatoes never do well

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (04-13-2019),Inor (04-13-2019),MountainGirl (04-14-2019),Slippy (04-12-2019),StratBastard (04-12-2019)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast