Thread: The Crawling Vet

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,040 Times in 3,886 Posts

The Crawling Vet

These guys are tough and most serve with honor even after getting out. Stories like this should get more attention from the media than who wore what dress at some award show.

Micah Herndon was not willing to quit. Even if it meant crawling the last few feet of the Boston Marathon on his hands and knees, inches at a time. He had someone to fight for.

Several other veterans competed in the Boston Marathon on Tuesday, all determined to finish their mission.

The 26-mile Boston Marathon can be grueling for some. But Micah Herndon was willing to do whatever it took to cross the finish line.

Herndon, a former lead machine-gunner in the Marine Corps' "Lava Dogs" division, was running to honor three Marines he served with who died in Afghanistan in 2010, the Ohio Record-Courier first reported.

"I run in honor of them," Herndon told the Record-Courier. "They are not here anymore. I am here, and I am able. I am lucky to still have all my limbs. I can still be active. I find fuel in the simple idea that I can run. Some cannot.

"If I get a heat cramp while running or my feet hurt or I am getting exhausted, I just keep saying their names out loud to myself. They went through much worse, so I run for them and their families."

Herndon finished with a time of 3 hours and 38 minutes.
    Pics and video in link:

https://www.radio.com/articles/conne...on-finish-line
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (04-19-2019),MountainGirl (04-19-2019),rice paddy daddy (05-19-2019),StratBastard (04-18-2019)