Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a .22 penetrate a deer skull

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,763 Times in 2,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge7402 View Post
    One night while I still worked as a peace officer I came on a deer that had been struck by a car. Obviously in a lot of pain I put her out of her misery with one stinger in the ear. When the local MP watch commander showed up he saw the pool of blood and asked where my 30-30 was. Showed him the Walther .22 Clone and his eyes got very big
    That was the right thing to do Sarge, but out here in Wyoming that would have gotten you arrested on multiple charges.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-10-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,510 Posts
    It could penetrate a deer skull, but I would not put my hopes into it, to hunt deer. I shot a dog with a .22 Magnum, and all it did was drop him; and he laid there immobile; but he was not dead. It took a pop in the head with a hammer to mobilize him, and he got up snarling and limped off. I never saw him again though.

PS: as a closing note, that dog was after my female Doberman, and the stupid bastard would not leave. He could not take a subtle hint, so I put the hammer down.
    Last edited by Mister Mills; 05-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    1. I finished reading Blackhawk Down, the book, and it was very good. 2. I finished reading The Hunger Games, and it is wilder than the movie is.
    3. I finished Lone Survivor on CD, and I watched the movie, and the book is better. Everybody on that Team should have gotten the Medal Of Honor, but only one man lived. So there were no witnesses.[March 14, 2019]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (05-10-2019),StratMaster (05-10-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 1,196 Posts
    Just because we have lurkers I cannot confirm nor deny that I have seen a deer shot with a .22 at under 30 feet in the head and be killed, nor can I confirm or deny it tasted good. But it is possible to do and it does work..... but I cannot confirm or deny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

KnuteFartne (05-10-2019),Mister Mills (05-13-2019),shootbrownelk (05-10-2019),StratMaster (05-10-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    That was the right thing to do Sarge, but out here in Wyoming that would have gotten you arrested on multiple charges.
    That is surprising to me. I figured in Wyoming putting a wounded animal out of its misery was common practice and accepted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KnuteFartne For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-13-2019),shootbrownelk (05-10-2019),StratMaster (05-10-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,763 Times in 2,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KnuteFartne View Post
    That is surprising to me. I figured in Wyoming putting a wounded animal out of its misery was common practice and accepted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nope Knute, .22 rimfire not legal for big game. Shooting big game without a license. Shooting big game out of season. Shooting from or across a roadway, and anything else a warden can think of. You can't even take a roadkill or head/antlers from one. Picky-picky.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-13-2019),StratMaster (05-10-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Nope Knute, .22 rimfire not legal for big game. Shooting big game without a license. Shooting big game out of season. Shooting from or across a roadway, and anything else a warden can think of. You can't even take a roadkill or head/antlers from one. Picky-picky.
    The idiots would rather have the animal suffer. There isn't enough of that?
    My retirement plan is: Civilization will probably crumble before I'm 65 and money will be meaningless anyway.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-13-2019),shootbrownelk (05-11-2019),StratMaster (05-10-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mills View Post
    It could penetrate a deer skull, but I would not put my hopes into it, to hunt deer. I shot a dog with a .22 Magnum, and all it did was drop him; and he laid there immobile; but he was not dead. It took a pop in the head with a hammer to mobilize him, and he got up snarling and limped off. I never saw him again though.

PS: as a closing note, that dog was after my female Doberman, and the stupid bastard would not leave. He could not take a subtle hint, so I put the hammer down.
    The only time I ever had to pull my gun was a dog attack as well... only he was after ME. Good thing for him: he left the ground and flew past me on the first run, giving me time to put one round in the air before I had to decide whether to kill him. I had my Glock 27 in .40, and with it being dark and that short barrel it put out an orange flame the size of a soccer ball. That dog took off like a scalded monkey.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StratMaster For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-13-2019),Mister Mills (05-13-2019),shootbrownelk (05-11-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    The only time I ever had to pull my gun was a dog attack as well... only he was after ME. Good thing for him: he left the ground and flew past me on the first run, giving me time to put one round in the air before I had to decide whether to kill him. I had my Glock 27 in .40, and with it being dark and that short barrel it put out an orange flame the size of a soccer ball. That dog took off like a scalded monkey.
    You showed an unusual trait, which is called mercy, and I am not sure if I would have wasted him or not. Maybe it worked out for the best, and he was a good dog after that. The ball of flame might have put some sense into him, since he took off like the Devil was after him.

My neighbors recently introduced me to their dog, he may have some pit in him; but he was an angel, and a people person. He could not contain his excitement at meeting a new human. Now that is what I think of as a good dog.
    1. I finished reading Blackhawk Down, the book, and it was very good. 2. I finished reading The Hunger Games, and it is wilder than the movie is.
    3. I finished Lone Survivor on CD, and I watched the movie, and the book is better. Everybody on that Team should have gotten the Medal Of Honor, but only one man lived. So there were no witnesses.[March 14, 2019]

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-13-2019),StratMaster (05-13-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12