Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice - Never done this before...

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,121 Times in 10,468 Posts

Need advice - Never done this before...

So now that the house is done and I can see the finish line on Mrs Inor's She Shack, it is time to start thinking about next few projects...

One idea that I have been toying with since moving to AZ is raising a steer. I think I may have committed to the idea this weekend without even meaning to.

Obviously, Mrs Inor and I alone, cannot eat a whole steer by ourselves in a year (before it starts to get freezer burn and go bad). So we were at a gathering of some folks around us and I threw out the idea, if we did this, would anybody be interested in buying the other half. Two other couples jumped at the opportunity and each agreed to buy 1/4. I ran the numbers and for what I am going to have to pay for the calf, what sweet grass and grain will cost to raise it and the butchering, we will end up getting a side of beef for about $400 - a little less than half if we just bought it outright. For the amount of work it will be, is it worth it? Definitely not! But the experience is worth something too. So I am inclined to move forward.

But now it is a matter of figuring out how to do the whole process, since I have never raised anything but kids and dogs before!

Mrs Inor (who grew up on a cattle ranch), thinks it would be best to butcher it in late October or early November of next year. We both think the optimal weight, to get the best quality of meat and the most quantity, should be about 1200 pounds. (Quality is FAR more important us than quantity.)

The breed of the calf is Balancer. So they do grow pretty fast. The fall roundup (when I will buy it) is scheduled for 10/15. I am thinking I should pick one that was a wiener at the mini-roundup that we had late last June. So the steer will be just under 1 1/2 years when he is butchered.

We will be moving the herd into the mountains in October, so I can let it graze on open range by M.T. Acres until April - so no feeding or watering costs until then. (Our rancher friend has already said she is cool with that since she has the grazing rights on the land by us.) After that, I will have to pen it up and pay for sweet grass and grain until we butcher.

So it this a good idea? Crazy idea? Colossally stupid idea?

Please advise...
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (07-10-2022),Box of frogs (07-09-2022),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),shootbrownelk (08-29-2020),Slippy (09-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,043 Times in 7,030 Posts
    EXCELLENT Idea!

Maybe try raising the steer like the Japs do with Kobe beef? Build a barn and a pen inside the barn to keep the steer confined for most of its life. Then hire an illegal to massage the cow with sake wine. They also give the cow a bottle of beer a day or some such nonsense. Oh, and you'll have to rig the barn with a sound system to play classical music for the damn bovine.

Plus you'll need to get a donkey to kick the shit out of any coyotes that attempt to mess with the steer. I'd name the donkey Steve or maybe Taco.

This should be fun!
    https://notesofnomads.com/kobe-beef/

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    So now that the house is done and I can see the finish line on Mrs Inor's She Shack, it is time to start thinking about next few projects...

One idea that I have been toying with since moving to AZ is raising a steer. I think I may have committed to the idea this weekend without even meaning to.

Obviously, Mrs Inor and I alone, cannot eat a whole steer by ourselves in a year (before it starts to get freezer burn and go bad). So we were at a gathering of some folks around us and I threw out the idea, if we did this, would anybody be interested in buying the other half. Two other couples jumped at the opportunity and each agreed to buy 1/4. I ran the numbers and for what I am going to have to pay for the calf, what sweet grass and grain will cost to raise it and the butchering, we will end up getting a side of beef for about $400 - a little less than half if we just bought it outright. For the amount of work it will be, is it worth it? Definitely not! But the experience is worth something too. So I am inclined to move forward.

But now it is a matter of figuring out how to do the whole process, since I have never raised anything but kids and dogs before!

Mrs Inor (who grew up on a cattle ranch), thinks it would be best to butcher it in late October or early November of next year. We both think the optimal weight, to get the best quality of meat and the most quantity, should be about 1200 pounds. (Quality is FAR more important us than quantity.)

The breed of the calf is Balancer. So they do grow pretty fast. The fall roundup (when I will buy it) is scheduled for 10/15. I am thinking I should pick one that was a wiener at the mini-roundup that we had late last June. So the steer will be just under 1 1/2 years when he is butchered.

We will be moving the herd into the mountains in October, so I can let it graze on open range by M.T. Acres until April - so no feeding or watering costs until then. (Our rancher friend has already said she is cool with that since she has the grazing rights on the land by us.) After that, I will have to pen it up and pay for sweet grass and grain until we butcher.

So it this a good idea? Crazy idea? Colossally stupid idea?

Please advise...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (07-10-2022),Baglady (10-10-2019),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),Inor (09-02-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,275 Times in 4,333 Posts
    1: It will be immensely valuable in the experience you get now that you "may" need some day in the future.

2: You will "know" the meat has no preservatives, enhancements, etc.

3: You will save some $$$, . . . all of which could go toward that full auto M243 you always wanted.

There are other good reasons, . . . but it is too early for my pea brain to come up with them.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),bigwheel (09-16-2021),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),Inor (09-02-2019),MountainGirl (09-02-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019),Sparkyprep (09-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,205 Times in 4,801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great idea! Raising beef cattle is much easier than most think. As long as it is for "personal use", (not for sale), you are not required by law to pump it full of antibiotics, steroids, etc. Not sure how your pasture land is where you are, but for the most part, they feed themselves. Supplement them with hay and feed as you see fit. I pay aprox. $0.56 a pound for butchering. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),Box of frogs (07-09-2022),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),Inor (09-02-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019),Slippy (09-02-2019),StratBastard (10-21-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Great idea! Raising beef cattle is much easier than most think. As long as it is for "personal use", (not for sale), you are not required by law to pump it full of antibiotics, steroids, etc. Not sure how your pasture land is where you are, but for the most part, they feed themselves. Supplement them with hay and feed as you see fit. I pay aprox. $0.56 a pound for butchering. Let me know if you have any questions.
    We have VERY good grass here. This is "cattle country" after all. One of the biggest questions I have is: when to start graining it... Some folks say only grain it the last 6 weeks before butchering. Others say to start graining it as soon as you get it.

Slippy: I am NOT going to massage a damn steer! But I suppose I could pick up a couple cases of Cold Spring ($3.75 a case) or similar cheap beer for it.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019),Slippy (09-02-2019),StratBastard (10-21-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,205 Times in 4,801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We have VERY good grass here. This is "cattle country" after all. One of the biggest questions I have is: when to start graining it... Some folks say only grain it the last 6 weeks before butchering. Others say to start graining it as soon as you get it.

Slippy: I am NOT going to massage a damn steer! But I suppose I could pick up a couple cases of Cold Spring ($3.75 a case) or similar cheap beer for it.
    Grain "cleans up" the flavor of the meat, and packs on cheap fat, for flavor. I only grain for the last 4 weeks, and that seems to do just fine for me.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),Inor (09-02-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019),Slippy (09-02-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    I think you are going to name him Herman and fall in love with him as a pet.

Then you are going to have to face the trauma of putting another pet down. Aren't you glad I thought of this? heh
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),Inor (09-02-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    I think you are going to name him Herman and fall in love with him as a pet.

Then you are going to have to face the trauma of putting another pet down. Aren't you glad I thought of this? heh
    Mrs Inor wants to call it "Moth" (Meat On The Hoof).

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),BucketBack (09-02-2019),hawgrider (09-02-2019),Innkeeper (09-03-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019),StratBastard (10-21-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 14,733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have it under control
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),Inor (09-03-2019)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Like the sound of your idea, wish I had the room for that here, but we used to do it back when I was at kid. The steer were additions on my uncles dairy farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-10-2019),Inor (09-03-2019),shootbrownelk (10-13-2019),Sparkyprep (09-03-2019)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast