Thread: Hunting myth buster: Does smoking while deer hunting really matter?

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 36,795 Times in 16,750 Posts

Hunting myth buster: Does smoking while deer hunting really matter?

Well... I've been smoking while deer hunting since 1974 I also wear my hunting cloths around the bon fire and Ive killed a semi truck full of deer So yeah myth busted it masks human scent.

HUNTING MYTH BUSTER: DOES SMOKING WHILE DEER HUNTING REALLY MATTER?
    Okay, so is there any science behind this? Not really. What is behind it, though, is traditions. Native Americans were known to stand in smoke from their fires before going hunting to hide their human scent. As we all know, they were pretty good at harvesting deer.

Overall, there's very little information regarding this topic. I think most just feel that smoking while deer hunting is insane considering how well a deer can smell. Then again, according to some, they smell the smoke and it actually masks human odor.
    https://www.wideopenspaces.com/hunti...ct-deer-video/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (09-11-2019),StratMaster (09-10-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,250 Posts
    First buck I ever killed was about 5 minutes after I ground out a Camel non filter in the side of a tree branch, . . . about 10 feet off the ground, . . . and the wind was blowing toward the buck.

Dropped him at about 25 yds with a lever action 308 Savage.

I don't smoke any more, . . . but wouldn't refrain if I did.

Campfire smoke around here is almost a normal thing with the local campgrounds and all the neighbors who burn their trash.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-10-2019),MountainGirl (09-11-2019),shootbrownelk (09-10-2019),StratMaster (09-10-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,941 Times in 2,476 Posts
    I noticed that I started getting closer to deer when stalking when I quit smoking. Probably because I wasn't huffing/puffing/wheezing and coughing anymore. Deer and elk are used to the smell of burning trees, they live with forest fires every year. I see Deer and elk back in burned areas shortly after the fire has passed, sometimes within a few days.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-10-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,574 Times in 2,889 Posts
    I took a customer trophy hunting in Texas one year, dude showed up wearing slacks, golf shirt and casual shoes. Took him to the stand and he insisted he have a 6 pack of diet cokes and a pack of cigs. He said he drank all the cokes, took a couple of pisses, smoked most of the cigs and shot the 3rd best scoring buck in Texas that year!

I had it mounted for him and a few years later he invited me over to his house. I looked for the mount and finally asked him where it was and he said in his attic, his wife didn't like it.

People make me shake my head...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-10-2019),Mister Mills (09-10-2019),MountainGirl (09-11-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I took a customer trophy hunting in Texas one year, dude showed up wearing slacks, golf shirt and casual shoes. Took him to the stand and he insisted he have a 6 pack of diet cokes and a pack of cigs. He said he drank all the cokes, took a couple of pisses, smoked most of the cigs and shot the 3rd best scoring buck in Texas that year!

I had it mounted for him and a few years later he invited me over to his house. I looked for the mount and finally asked him where it was and he said in his attic, his wife didn't like it.

People make me shake my head...
    #17 on my bucket list: Go hunting with Slippy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KnuteFartne For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (09-11-2019),shootbrownelk (09-10-2019),Slippy (09-10-2019),TJC44 (09-13-2019)