Thread: Power Outage.us

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts

Power Outage.us

PowerOutage.us is an on going project created to track, record, and aggregate power outages across the united states.

Hopefully they expand it some and can break it down to more localized areas. Good start, though.

https://poweroutage.us/?fbclid=IwAR2...IbgPNCA32zow3U
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-01-2019),Ricekila (11-02-2019),shootbrownelk (11-01-2019),Slippy (11-02-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,263 Times in 5,904 Posts
    It seems the power companies only excel at rate increases and the billing process, to hell with maintaining the grid.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (11-01-2019),Ricekila (11-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    It seems the power companies only excel at rate increases and the billing process, to hell with maintaining the grid.
    I'm not saying we are perfect, or completely ethical, but my power company does major maintenance, and upgrades constantly, and we also have some of the cheapest bills in the country. Not all power companies are the same.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-02-2019),Ricekila (11-02-2019),Slippy (11-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I know it seems like that sometimes but listening to what my Son2 has to say, some Power Companies are struggling to find Qualified Line Workers and Engineers. Regulations in certain areas have also worked against the efficiencies needed to maintain the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    I'm not saying we are perfect, or completely ethical, but my power company does major maintenance, and upgrades constantly, and we also have some of the cheapest bills in the country. Not all power companies are the same.
    I forget who you work for Sparky, but from what I know, Southeastern US power companies have done a pretty good job to keep rates low and provide good service.

My Son2's former employer, Southern Company, did a great job in maintenance but they are starting to struggle to keep up with demand. Keeping good Line Workers was an issue as well as Affirmative Action in hiring new Engineers. I'm only speaking on what my Son2 told me, but in the North Georgia Market which is dominated by Atlanta, EVERY ENGINEER new college graduate hire that his old company made was either: A.) a heavily accented Hispanic, B.) a minority female or C.) a Black
    Engineer from a traditional black college.

Son2 said that the older more experienced Engineers were also getting frustrated with the new hires.

Maybe it was the big city market? But Son2 and other Line Workers (who are predominantly White Males) struggled to work with incompetent Engineers who they believe got their jobs solely based on their minority status.

FPHUCKIN SAD!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-02-2019),Ricekila (11-02-2019),shootbrownelk (11-03-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I know it seems like that sometimes but listening to what my Son2 has to say, some Power Companies are struggling to find Qualified Line Workers and Engineers. Regulations in certain areas have also worked against the efficiencies needed to maintain the grid.

I forget who you work for Sparky, but from what I know, Southeastern US power companies have done a pretty good job to keep rates low and provide good service.

My Son2's former employer, Southern Company, did a great job in maintenance but they are starting to struggle to keep up with demand. Keeping good Line Workers was an issue as well as Affirmative Action in hiring new Engineers. I'm only speaking on what my Son2 told me, but in the North Georgia Market which is dominated by Atlanta, EVERY ENGINEER new college graduate hire that his old company made was either: A.) a heavily accented Hispanic, B.) a minority female or C.) a Black
    Engineer from a traditional black college.

Son2 said that the older more experienced Engineers were also getting frustrated with the new hires.

Maybe it was the big city market? But Son2 and other Line Workers (who are predominantly White Males) struggled to work with incompetent Engineers who they believe got their jobs solely based on their minority status.

FPHUCKIN SAD!
    I work for Florida Power & Light, a subsidiary of NextEra.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-02-2019),Ricekila (11-02-2019),shootbrownelk (11-03-2019),Slippy (11-02-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,327 Times in 6,026 Posts

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (11-03-2019)