Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vanguard 3D Printed Gun

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,881 Posts
    How good are the stock threads?
    My retirement plan is: Civilization will probably crumble before I'm 65 and money will be meaningless anyway.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 16,955 Times in 7,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    How good are the stock threads?
    Somewhat of a tight fit but it seems to be secure. I think I have enough parts to put everything together.

"Every personís life is theirs by right. An individualís life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a manís throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-29-2020),Inor (12-29-2019),TJC44 (12-29-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 23,925 Times in 8,297 Posts
    Look great! I am anxious to hear how well the plastic holds up to the forces flexing it when you fire it.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    So, almost a year later.

I started to assemble the Vanguard version and found some minor issues. Primarily some finishing (drilling & filing) to make things fit.

The bolt catch roll pin is causing me issues right now, because of how the lower is designed.
    "Every personís life is theirs by right. An individualís life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a manís throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (10-29-2020),hawgrider (10-29-2020),Innkeeper (10-29-2020),Inor (10-30-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    So . . . back to the drawing board. I got all the parts in, except the buffer tube. I had to do some finishing and drilling, but I expected that.

Unfortunately I didn't do the math for shrinkage (insert Gambit joke here). Usually it isn't a problem, but it is here.

So I'll have to fix my printer and do some tests to re-calibrate the model.

COFFEE!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (10-31-2020),hawgrider (10-30-2020),Innkeeper (10-30-2020),Inor (10-30-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 23,925 Times in 8,297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    So . . . back to the drawing board. I got all the parts in, except the buffer tube. I had to do some finishing and drilling, but I expected that.

Unfortunately I didn't do the math for shrinkage (insert Gambit joke here). Usually it isn't a problem, but it is here.

Did you build the printer? Where did you get the parts for it?

I have been toying around with the idea of maybe building a CNC router but some of the prices for components are crazy expensive. I am not going to drop $3000 just to test an idea for a tool that I may even use much when it is done.
    Last edited by Inor; 10-30-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-30-2020),juskom95 (10-31-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Did you build the printer? Where did you get the parts for it?
    It was a hobby off-the-shelf printer. An Ender 3 Pro. I've made upgrades and modifications to it since I've owned it, the last piece was a calibration tool that helps my prints.

I have been toying around with the idea of maybe building a CNC router but some of the prices for components are crazy expensive. I am not going to drop $3000 just to test an idea for a tool that I may even use much when it is done.
    Yup. I wish there were more entry-level CNC routers out there, because that is something I want to get as well. One recommendation I got was to purchase a used CNC machine as they usually still have some life left in them, or just some minor repairs that are easy.

I'm hoping when I move I can get enough property for a machine shop/hobby room to put these things in.

COFFEE!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-31-2020),Inor (10-31-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 16,808 Times in 8,350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post

The shrink may not be the same throughout the X, Y, and Z axis also. When I was doing foam seat molds and gas tank molds the shrinks were always different and changing

For my vac forms or injection mold the standard shrink was 1 mm per 100mm, or 1/8" per 12".

I was told to leave some tools for for night shift towelheads to use.

I left my grandpa's shrink rules out.

They messed up some stuff.
    TomE / hunterspirit

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-31-2020),Inor (10-31-2020),juskom95 (11-01-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    The shrink may not be the same throughout the X, Y, and Z axis also. When I was doing foam seat molds and gas tank molds the shrinks were always different and changing

For my vac forms or injection mold the standard shrink was 1 mm per 100mm, or 1/8" per 12".

I was told to leave some tools for for night shift towelheads to use.

I left my grandpa's shrink rules out.

They messed up some stuff.
    I got everything in but the buffertube, the threads were just slightly out of alignment and it messed up threading it. I cut out and printed a few different sections where there were problems(where I had to drill/sand/cut) and I think I have it dialed in. I also added a sensor to my printer so I won't have to fight with alignments as much.

I just wish it didn't take 30+- hours for a full run.

COFFEE!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-01-2020),Inor (11-01-2020),Sparkyprep (11-01-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12