Thread: Air Assault Class 2017 A.D. ::: Camp Dawson West Virginia

Air Assault Class 2017 A.D. ::: Camp Dawson West Virginia

This is an Air Assault class being taught at Camp Dawson West Virginia. The Air Assault and the Airborne badges are equal in precedence; just thought that I would say so. Most people don't know that about the Army badges; they have precedence, and order.

Air Assault is mostly taught at Fort Campbell, where the home of the 101st Air Assault Division is. It is unusual for someone to get their wings, on any post other than that, but schools can be run in spots, where there are enough qualified soldiers to teach it.

That goes for jump school too, since in SF units there is a lot of talent, and this school in Camp Dawson, is located on a post with 19th SFG(A) soldiers, as the big show on base.

I have seen corporate jets land fly there, and land on its air strip; probably with some SF general, coming in to look at things. I have seen Delta trainees there too, preparing to carry out water training, using Zodiacs. They do their mountain trials there, AKA Land Nav, for potential members. And it is a a screaming meemy of a ruck sacking folks, when Delta tests them.
    Last edited by Mister Mills; 12-31-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-05-2020),rice paddy daddy (04-06-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Like I have always said...The airborne badge is equal to the dopes on a rope badge....my favorite is the Olympic Torch bearer badge....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pathfinder.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	9493
    Like Napoleon said, give me enough medals and I'll win you any war....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-05-2020),Innkeeper (01-01-2020),Mister Mills (01-02-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    There was an Air Assault course at Ft Hood as far back as 1987, when I was stationed there. I did the MOUT course there military operations in urban terrain, but Ft Hood was huge, largest military base in the free world.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (01-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    Like I have always said...The airborne badge is equal to the dopes on a rope badge....my favorite is the Olympic Torch bearer badge....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pathfinder.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	9493
    Like Napoleon said, give me enough medals and I'll win you any war....
    I wish that I could have gotten an Air Assault badge, a lot of the guys in the 2/19th had both.

Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    There was an Air Assault course at Ft Hood as far back as 1987, when I was stationed there. I did the MOUT course there military operations in urban terrain, but Ft Hood was huge, largest military base in the free world.

I think that Fort Hood is even more populated that it was when I was in; that post gained from the re-organization, and draw down. And so did Fort Benning, the 194th Armored Brigade relocated to Benning, from Knox.

I was in the 194th Armored Brigade for a couple of years; it is a pretty big unit, and it is an independent brigade. It is not under a division command, or it wasn't, when I was in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	194th Armored Brigade.....COL Plummer.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	9505
    Here is a picture the CO, Colonel Bullwinkle; look at that mug, it just inspires confidence. Death from within, death from without, you don't wanna mess with that guy.He looks like he just left his college frat house, and got lost in thought. But, don't rustle him outa his reverie, or you'll get Jap slapped. Erkle? Is that you?

https://www.benning.army.mil/Armor/194th/
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mills View Post
    I wish that I could have gotten an Air Assault badge, a lot of the guys in the 2/19th had both.

I think that Fort Hood is even more populated that it was when I was in; that post gained from the re-organization, and draw down. And so did Fort Benning, the 194th Armored Brigade relocated to Benning, from Knox.

I was in the 194th Armored Brigade for a couple of years; it is a pretty big unit, and it is an independent brigade. It is not under a division command, or it wasn't, when I was in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	194th Armored Brigade.....COL Plummer.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	9505
    Here is a picture the CO, Colonel Bullwinkle; look at that mug, it just inspires confidence. Death from within, death from without, you don't wanna mess with that guy.He looks like he just left his college frat house, and got lost in thought. But, don't rustle him outa his reverie, or you'll get Jap slapped. Erkle? Is that you?

https://www.benning.army.mil/Armor/194th/
    I was first at Hood and it was the Largest base even back then in 1987, we had 1st Cav Div, and 2nd AD, plus the 6th Cav Bde and 13 Sup Com and 3rd Corp over 87,000 troops and their families on base.

"Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (01-03-2020),MountainGirl (01-02-2020)

I was first at Hood and it was the Largest base even back then in 1987, we had 1st Cav Div, and 2nd AD, plus the 6th Cav Bde and 13 Sup Com and 3rd Corp over 87,000 troops and their families on base.

Knox is almost gone, they were going to close it, but sent in the mobility command or something. The CO is a full colonel, and it used to be a Major General. I remember when Knox has a daytime population of about 100,000 people. The cuts to the military baffle me, and I think that it has turned into a boondoggle. It become a badge of honor for a congressman or senator, to stand up and call for cuts, back in the 1990's. And then run their mouth about a peace dividend, Congress was full of those clowns.

The Gulf War should have been a warning, back in 1991; America could not find enough men to fill out the ranks; so the NG and AR were used. And just as soon as the war was over, Bush went right back to cutting. That man gets dumber every time that I consider his tactics.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mills View Post
    Knox is almost gone, they were going to close it, but sent in the mobility command or something. The CO is a full colonel, and it used to be a Major General. I remember when Knox has a daytime population of about 100,000 people. The cuts to the military baffle me, and I think that it has turned into a boondoggle. It become a badge of honor for a congressman or senator, to stand up and call for cuts, back in the 1990's. And then run their mouth about a peace dividend, Congress was full of those clowns.

The Gulf War should have been a warning, back in 1991; America could not find enough men to fill out the ranks; so the NG and AR were used. And just as soon as the war was over, Bush went right back to cutting. That man gets dumber every time that I consider his tactics.
    When I retired out of Knox they were talking about moving the armor school back because there was not a range at Benning bigenough to run a combined arms brigade like there is at Knox, plus they have to keep Knox because of the depository.

George Washington

When I retired out of Knox they were talking about moving the armor school back because there was not a range at Benning bigenough to run a combined arms brigade like there is at Knox, plus they have to keep Knox because of the depository.

Yes, they have to keep Knox because of the Gold Depository, but they were making a lot of noise about closing the fort anyway. Which presumes, that the Depository would have been packed up and shipped out, on trains or something. That is probably what saved Fort Knox, because that would be a logistical nightmare; it could be done, but look at the dangers of it.

Everybody and his brother would be thinking up ways to rob a train car. Anyway, they ended up with the mobility command, and the highest officer on post is a Colonel. You know as well as I do, how much land area Fort Knox covers, it is huge; and that is where I took my Basic Training in 1975, when the Disney Barracks were new. There should be another brigade/school there, with a BG as OIC of the post; it is being under-utilized, IMHO.

I was in some old barn-like wooden barracks myself, a lot of the buildings there were pretty old, even back in 1975. And they did not get any newer with time. They should bring the Armor School back, I don't understand the rationale for moving it myself, except they went bat-crazy in DC, and wanted to kill the Army.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (11-27-2020)