Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Rode A Bicycle 40 Miles On Saturday In City Traffic.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Not sure if your Indian Guides had Indian names but my Dad's was "Big Canoe" and I was "Little Paddle". Which is kinda funny now since my Dad only made it to 6' and I am 6'4". Little Paddle ain't so little anymore. I still have my garb somewhere. If I can't find it during my move I'll post some pictures.
    Hope you find them Sas!
    T'was never privy to dad & bro's Indian names... and Slippy described the meet-ups perfectly!
    Ah...StratMaster, what a great bunch of memories you've stirred up.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (02-08-2021),Sasquatch (01-16-2020),shootbrownelk (01-16-2020),StratBastard (01-15-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 775 Posts
    Had to look after your post.....
    one of my favorites in Florida is Ybor City.
    50 miles round trip from Downtown St. Pete across Gandy Bridge.

Treat yourself to a fresh rolled Cigar in the tourist area and lunch at the Columbia Restaurant.
    Oldest continually operated restaurant in Florida (1905). Spanish Cuisine.

I am probably being Captian Obvious to you
    But a PSA for others
    “America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance — it is not. It is suffering from tolerance.
    Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos.
    Our country is not nearly so overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded.”
    ― Fulton J. Sheen

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
    – Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LivoniaDan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-15-2020),Inor (01-15-2020),Mister Mills (02-08-2021),shootbrownelk (01-16-2020),StratBastard (01-16-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LivoniaDan View Post

Treat yourself to a fresh rolled Cigar in the tourist area and lunch at the Columbia Restaurant.

But a PSA for others
    I LOVE Ybor City! There is a GREAT Cuban restaurant there where I have to go for supper at least once every time I am in the Tampa area. I cannot remember the name of it. For all I know it might be the Columbia Restaurant you referenced. (The sidewalk in front of the place has all kinds of plaques embedded in it of local dignitaries or some such thing.) Then come out of the restaurant, hang a quick right and go down the street about a block to the cigar shop and have a pretty little Cuban girl hand roll a stogie for me on her thigh.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (02-08-2021),shootbrownelk (01-16-2020),StratBastard (01-16-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 5,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I LOVE Ybor City! There is a GREAT Cuban restaurant there where I have to go for supper at least once every time I am in the Tampa area. I cannot remember the name of it. For all I know it might be the Columbia Restaurant you referenced. (The sidewalk in front of the place has all kinds of plaques embedded in it of local dignitaries or some such thing.) Then come out of the restaurant, hang a quick right and go down the street about a block to the cigar shop and have a pretty little Cuban girl hand roll a stogie for me on her thigh.
    Pretty young girls, bare thighs and stogies.....I bet Slick Willie Clinton would get all misty eyed thinking about that.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-16-2020),Inor (01-16-2020),LivoniaDan (01-16-2020),Mister Mills (02-08-2021)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mills View Post
    I took off from near-downtown in St Pete, and I rode to south Clearwater, all of it in city traffic. And that passes for city survival in my world.
    I went past a scene at Park Road & Bryan Dairy Road, or there about's, where a wreck had occurred. The right side doors of the car heading south, were trashed.

It was obvious what had happened, that car had turned into the path of a northbound car, and paid the price. So, someone had been killed, on a bright, fun day. I asked a civilian volunteer who was there, if there was a fatality, and he said that there was. So that is how I knew for certain, but just observing the car was instructive.

That very action, blowing lights, and turning into oncoming traffic; is something that seems to come naturally to the people here; they drive as if they can't die. Keep it in mind if you ever visit Tampa-Saint Pete-Clearwater, it may well save your life. They do not have a normal love of others here, they love themselves.

Anyway, I kept heading north until I reached East Bay-West Bay, that is naturally enough an east-west route. And the next part of my adventure commenced. I traveled east towards PIE, and when I got to Roosevelt, some subtle changes happened. It is close to PIE and the area attracts whores and their customers.

And I think that is where I took out my knife and hung it on my wrist; I have a lanyard on it, but It was buried in my pocket, where it could not be any more worthless. I rode on and got on Roosevelt, and was having a great old time, the whole trip was great to tell the truth. But, I do keep track of where I am and who is around me.

I rode down to Ulmerton and kept eastbound, and as I passes PIE, an Alligent aircraft took off, and I ws right under it. I love that too, I watch airplanes like a kid would.

The state is building an expressway over there, called the Leeroy Selmon Extention; and it is a pretty big undertking, with freeway type overpasses and stuff. It is about time friends, this place is way behind on freeways, expressways, and 8 lane roads. So, I kept going and I headed towards home, and I thought that I was going to die.

Between taking care of dropping blood sugar and crashing salt levels, I had my hands full. But I made it home, and I am going to use that route as my double set. That is, it will count for 2 sets of work outs. But, I am going to have to take some groceries with me next time. I drank 3 liters of soda pop on that trip, as a for instance.

I have a nice tan, and I fell a whole lot better about my manhood now.
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time I rode a bike was in physical therapy about 2 yrs ago. I looked like this;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 stages waking up.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	9669
    Way to go Mister Mills!!!
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Gambit (01-17-2020),Mister Mills (01-17-2020),shootbrownelk (01-17-2020),StratBastard (01-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You've got about 20 years on me and I don't think I could currently ride that many miles so more power to ya!
    I have done another 50 miles since then, I rode 2 separate 25 milers. I had to do something to break a cycle, I came down with the flu or something, and it busted my lights out for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Great job Mister Mills!
    Thank you Slippy.

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Cub scout, Webelos, and Boy Scout myself. I still have my old Webelos "Wolf" card knocking around somewhere around here.
    Even did a stint in the "Indian Guides" (anyone remember them?). The only good thing about living in Eugene Oregon: the bike paths! I would routinely use them for shopping...
    and if I needed so much as a jar of mustard, I would ride to the neighboring town (Springfield) to buy it... getting a nice 30-40 mile round trip in.

Did that maybe 3 times a week. They are situated along the river most of the way, goes right behind Autzen Stadium, and you will see deer, pheasant, ducks of course, Herons, Osprey, Nutria, and the occasional snake.

It's a beautiful ride... although now the "homeless" are camped along there ruining an otherwise pretty view with their tarps, needles, and garbage. Anyway , so glad to hear you are remaining so mobile and fit! I am 62 myself, and it's a challenge.
    It has been a back breaker for me, after being laid up for a month with botulism flu. I had some kind of Hellish fiend of a flu, and it was like I was half dead, so I kicked it into overdrive.
    I did not think that I could do it 1/2 way, and make any progress. No, I don't remember Indian Guides, but I was a Tenderfoot Boy Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I do!! My little brother was one, I always stole his headband/feather.
    You should have gone for it, and just left him a dead mouse; and tell him the cat did it, and left a trade. That would give you plausible deniability.

An excellent feat Mr Mills! Atta Boy!!!

When I was a kid I used to LOVE riding bicycle. Every week I would ride to and from my grandma's house (22 miles each way) to mow her grass. Even at 14 riding 44 miles and mowing an acre of grass was humping dogs.

I would not dream of doing that at 52 now. You are much man!
    I remember when I was young, 10 years old or so, and I would ride all over town, which was hilly. And all of the family would walk, because we did not have a car, and it made me stout.
    And that is my measure, those things that I did in Wayne West Virginia as a kid, they have stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time I rode a bike was in physical therapy about 2 yrs ago. I looked like this;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 stages waking up.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	9669
    Way to go Mister Mills!!!
    That is pretty much how I looked after my flu ordeal, I don't know how many more of those nightmares I can live through. The last few years have been scary because of virus induced near-pneumonia.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-17-2020),shootbrownelk (01-23-2020),StratBastard (01-17-2020)

I rode my bicycle 75 miles last week, through city traffic, and on the Pinellas Trail too. I flopped down on Sunday, and slept like a baby; and here it is Thursday, Jan 23 2020, and I am finally recovered.

Man, that was hard to do. PS: I consider riding through traffic in this county as survival training: these stupid bastards will run over a bicycle, or a motorcycle.
    So every time that I live to tell about it, that is a time to be thankful.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by LivoniaDan View Post

But a PSA for others
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Pretty young girls, bare thighs and stogies.....I bet Slick Willie Clinton would get all misty eyed thinking about that.
    Ybor is still there men, and as far as I know you can still get a fresh rolled cigar, or good Cuban food. I went to a Cuban restaurant, here in St Pete and there was a pretty, smart young lady serving.

She was of Cuban descent, and she was learning French or something; and she was using Rosetta Stone to learn it. Anyway, I had some good chow there, and there are plenty of other Cuban places to pick from. Central Ave. has a lot of places to eat, there are restaurants for a couple of miles along that road.

PS: I rode my 10 speed to Ybor City once or twice, and that is a real hard trip to make. It is a long way to ride.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (01-23-2020)

I walked 12 miles last week and rode 25 miles on a 10 speed; but I suspect that there is something wrong with my heart. I am getting some bad signals and data from it. I won't be stunned if I am diagnosed with CHF, because I really felt bad after my last 25 miler. So, I am in a quandary, and I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. I do not foresee myself stopping though, because I think that I would rather die than give up.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

Slippy (01-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mills View Post
    I walked 12 miles last week and rode 25 miles on a 10 speed; but I suspect that there is something wrong with my heart. I am getting some bad signals and data from it. I won't be stunned if I am diagnosed with CHF, because I really felt bad after my last 25 miler. So, I am in a quandary, and I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. I do not foresee myself stopping though, because I think that I would rather die than give up.
    Go easy on that ticker Mister Mills
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Mister Mills (01-29-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast