Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandpas boning knife scale replacement project.

Grandpas boning knife scale replacement project.

I posted this knife up in another thread at Prepper Forums so you've seen how bad the wood was its been that way for a few decades as Grandpa had it wrapped with electrical tape :vs_shocked:

So one of members from PF contacted me and offered to help me out with some really neat knife scale stock
    Common Name(s): Purpleheart, Amaranth

Scientific Name: Peltogyne spp.

Distribution: Central and South America (from Mexico down to southern Brazil)

Rot Resistance: Purpleheart is rated as being very durable, and resists both decay and most insect attacks, though it has been reported to be susceptible to attack from marine borers.

https://www.wood-database.com/purpleheart/

I just got them in the mail yesterday so the project begins and nope I've never done this before so here we slowly go.

Step one I peeled off the old wood and then.....

Did a bunch of research on how I was going to attach the new scales. I think after seeing several ways to pin them or use Cutlery Rivets I think Im going to use epoxy and brass rod pins. Ive got lots of cleanup to do so this will be a slow ongoing project while I fit it in with my day job and my after work leather work and other duties. I'll post up the progress as it happens.

and a HUGE thanks to the kindness of that PF forum member who provided the wood stocks and sent them to me no charge.
    (I'd name him but I didn't ask him if I could so unless he pipes up its a secret)
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Big Ken (01-22-2020),Inor (01-22-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020),RubberDuck (01-22-2020)

This was the real bad side-

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (02-05-2020),RubberDuck (01-22-2020),shootbrownelk (01-22-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Be careful with the Purpleheart. It has some kind of natural irritant in it that really messes with my breathing. It is the only wood that I ALWAYS wear a mask when I am working it. But it is hard as bullets and finishes beautifully.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-22-2020),RubberDuck (01-22-2020),shootbrownelk (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Be careful with the Purpleheart. It has some kind of natural irritant in it that really messes with my breathing. It is the only wood that I ALWAYS wear a mask when I am working it. But it is hard as bullets and finishes beautifully.
    I read that.
    I may have to sand and trim outside I have paper mask but I also have a beard so the mask will be semi useless.

This stuff is dense and as hard as a rock. It also seems to be great on rot resistance. Have you ever stained this stuff Inor?

I may just use a oil finish like Birchwood Casey gunstock oil? Dunno know yet.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-22-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020),shootbrownelk (01-22-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I read that.
    I may have to sand and trim outside I have paper mask but I also have a beard so the mask will be semi useless.

This stuff is dense and as hard as a rock. It also seems to be great on rot resistance. Have you ever stained this stuff Inor?

I may just use a oil finish like Birchwood Casey gunstock oil? Dunno know yet.
    I rarely stain any wood stuff I make. Also, with Purpleheart, I would be really reticent to stain it because the color might come out really weird. But I notice you have a couple extra pieces, so maybe try it on one of them and see what it looks like?

For knife handles, I usually just finish them with 3-4 coats of food grade mineral oil (butcher block oil). It soaks in fast and gives them a good water resistant finish.

Edit: Funny story... I was making some pens from Purpleheart. I was turning the pen bodies on my lathe and had an itch in my eye. Without thinking, I reached up and scratched it without washing my hands first. My damn eyes swelled shut from the oil in the Purpleheart! I looked like I had gone a couple rounds with Mike Tyson!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-22-2020),Innkeeper (01-22-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020),shootbrownelk (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I rarely stain any wood stuff I make. Also, with Purpleheart, I would be really reticent to stain it because the color might come out really weird. But I notice you have a couple extra pieces, so maybe try it on one of them and see what it looks like?

For knife handles, I usually just finish them with 3-4 coats of food grade mineral oil (butcher block oil). It soaks in fast and gives them a good water resistant finish.

Edit: Funny story... I was making some pens from Purpleheart. I was turning the pen bodies on my lathe and had an itch in my eye. Without thinking, I reached up and scratched it without washing my hands first. My damn eyes swelled shut from the oil in the Purpleheart! I looked like I had gone a couple rounds with Mike Tyson!
    Yikes Yeah From what I read some can really have an allergic to the purple wood but they say its rare... So automatically if its rare means i'll be one that affected by it

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (01-22-2020),Inor (01-22-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020),shootbrownelk (01-22-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,262 Times in 5,904 Posts
    What's the maker's name on the blade of Grandpa's boning knife? I can't make it out, not that it matters. Old knives are always the best.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-22-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    What's the maker's name on the blade of Grandpa's boning knife? I can't make it out, not that it matters. Old knives are always the best.
    German knife in the middle with the trident.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-22-2020),Prepared One (02-02-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,262 Times in 5,904 Posts
    Thanks Hawg. There's the magic word....Solingen! I collect German stag handle hunting knives, or I did collect them anyway. I don't anymore but that German steel is hard to beat. I can't wait to see how Grandpa's knife turns out. Will you refinish the blade or leave as is?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-22-2020),Ricekila (02-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Thanks Hawg. There's the magic word....Solingen! I collect German stag handle hunting knives, or I did collect them anyway. I don't anymore but that German steel is hard to beat. I can't wait to see how Grandpa's knife turns out. Will you refinish the blade or leave as is?
    I'm thinking about cleaning it up but of course all those decades of patina will be gone. But I'm thinking with the new skins it would look better cleaned up.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (02-05-2020),shootbrownelk (01-23-2020)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast