Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2020 Gardening Thread

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 23,001 Times in 8,054 Posts
    I finally got the water line put in to the steer pasture. That was a HUGE victory. Until today, we have been filling the water tanks for the steer and the donkeys using a garden hose running almost 100 yards across the top of the yard. Every evening we have been praying that two little brown dogs did not discover it is really cool to chew that big rubber thing that shoots water when you bite it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200509_141900562.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	11148

When I first turned the water on I must have had some mud or dirt in the PVC because I was getting water but the pressure was really low. After running it for about 5 minutes, the line jumped a bit and we had more water pressure than we knew what to do with. Tomorrow I will finish burying the PVC and then spend some quality time with my box grader to make the yard look respectable again.

Inor's helpful construction hint #962: When digging the trench for the PVC, I discovered the ground is REALLY hard in several places. Even the tractor could not dig down more than a couple inches at a time. Initially, I started softening the ground up by running some water from a garden hose onto it. That worked but it was still a slow process and used far more water than I would prefer. So I got the idea of using the pressure washer to soften it up instead. That worked PERFECTLY! Water works well, but water at 3500 PSI works great!

Just don't wear your good clothes when you do it...

Name:	IMG_20200503_155000075.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	11149

Mrs Inor also decided to add a couple strawberry beds out by the raspberry and blueberry patches. So if I have time after getting the yard graded for the steer pasture, I will get those installed and some water lines run to them as well. Then it will be time to move around to the back of the house and some REALLY long water runs.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-10-2020),Innkeeper (05-10-2020),Sasquatch (Today),Slippy (05-10-2020),Sparkyprep (Today),StratMaster (05-10-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 10,185 Times in 3,337 Posts
    Inor definitely has a PHd in Garage Logic!

Great picture! and great job done!

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I finally got the water line put in to the steer pasture. That was a HUGE victory. Until today, we have been filling the water tanks for the steer and the donkeys using a garden hose running almost 100 yards across the top of the yard. Every evening we have been praying that two little brown dogs did not discover it is really cool to chew that big rubber thing that shoots water when you bite it.

When I first turned the water on I must have had some mud or dirt in the PVC because I was getting water but the pressure was really low. After running it for about 5 minutes, the line jumped a bit and we had more water pressure than we knew what to do with. Tomorrow I will finish burying the PVC and then spend some quality time with my box grader to make the yard look respectable again.

Inor's helpful construction hint #962: When digging the trench for the PVC, I discovered the ground is REALLY hard in several places. Even the tractor could not dig down more than a couple inches at a time. Initially, I started softening the ground up by running some water from a garden hose onto it. That worked but it was still a slow process and used far more water than I would prefer. So I got the idea of using the pressure washer to soften it up instead. That worked PERFECTLY! Water works well, but water at 3500 PSI works great!

Mrs Inor also decided to add a couple strawberry beds out by the raspberry and blueberry patches. So if I have time after getting the yard graded for the steer pasture, I will get those installed and some water lines run to them as well. Then it will be time to move around to the back of the house and some REALLY long water runs.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-10-2020),Inor (05-10-2020)

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 41,676 Times in 18,451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post

Mud r us!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (05-10-2020),Slippy (05-10-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 23,001 Times in 8,054 Posts
    Inor's helpful construction tip #963: Non-reusable compression fittings on an irrigation drip line can be reused! Cut the fitting off the irrigation hose leaving about an inch of the irrigation hose sticking out. Put it in boiling water for about 3 minutes then pull the hose out with a pair of needle nose pliers.

(This afternoon a couple of little brown puppies decided it would be pretty cool to chew up the irrigation hose for Mrs Inor's strawberry patch. Since the disposable compression fittings are about $2 each and a 45 minute drive each way to get them, I made it my mission to figure out how to reuse them.)
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (Yesterday),Sasquatch (Today),Slippy (Today)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,914 Times in 2,558 Posts
    I started my first little garden at the new house (aka Sasquatch Farms). We've had a lot going on and since we already have all the fruit trees to tend to we decided not to go too crazy on the vegetable garden this year.

I put in about 10 plants. Some squash, tomatoes, jalapenos, etc. My Roma tomato plant was small but exploded almost overnight into a very nice and large plant. I figured I would get a great harvest off of it. I went out one morning and it was laying on its side. When i inspected it I found the roots had been eaten off of it. Yep, a gopher. I went and bought some gopher bombs and stuffed one down his hole. Figured I had got him because I didn't see any activity for a few days. Last weekend I was laying new sod in the backyard near the raised beds and out of the corner of my eye I see my jalapeno plant moving. I turned just in time to see my plant disappear under the ground. Who knew the old cartoons were telling the truth when they showed the gopher take a plant down into their tunnel. I got over to where the plant was and all I saw was two leaves sticking out of the ground. I grabbed the shovel and stabbed the crap out of the the ground. After I was done assaulting the dirt I dug around and didn't find a body. So, obviously, he got away. I transplanted the remaining plants over into the old turtle pen which has a concrete bottom. They all seem to be doing well in there for now.

The gopher on the other hand has declared war and I have a new plan to eradicate him.

"That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

Slippy (Today),StratMaster (Today)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789