Thread: 2020 Gardening Thread

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 9,880 Times in 3,255 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Okay, here is version 2.0 of the forms for the concrete garden panels:

Attachment 10106

The old forms had a couple significant issues:

1 - The framing lumber warped all to crap in the Arizona sun.

2 - They were held together with wood screws so assembling and disassembling them multiple times was causing the screw holes to strip.

3 - Assembling them was a serious pain in the neck and a very time consuming process because I had to measure and square each piece multiple times.

I hope version 2.0 proves to be stronger and longer lasting. I made these from plywood so I was able to be much more accurate with them. I also added some dados and braces along the length of the sides and ends. Finally, I am going to use 5/16" bolts to hold the forms together. That should be much stronger than the wood screws and the forms should last a lot longer.

The other major change I am making is to varnish the forms with at least 3 coats of marine-grade urethane. That should protect them from the sun and the concrete much better than the butcher block oil.
    If I had Inor's skills I'd stain the concrete forms and hang 'em on the dang wall at the art gallery! Excellent job Inor!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-09-2020),Inor (03-09-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 830 Posts
    These are the first plants up and looking really good. Had one tray of assorted cool crop plants that didn't start well and the bananas haven't done great so far. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plantsup.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	10116 The pic isn't great due to the new LED grow lights. Running a little behind schedule since the granddaughter and daughter are here. Tonight youngest and I got another 3 trays started approx 200 plus plants. I might start one more tray of vegetables then start some flowers.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-10-2020),Innkeeper (03-10-2020),Inor (03-21-2020),MountainGirl (03-10-2020),Slippy (03-10-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 22,473 Times in 7,929 Posts
    I finally got 3 heavy coats of marine urethane on ALL sides of the version 2.0 forms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200320_112221110.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	10186

This stuff is a serious pain in the neck to work with! But it is done and at least I did not have to worry too much about a few drips and runs since its only purpose is to protect the wood.

I did the first pour this afternoon.

Name:	IMG_20200320_180047890.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	10187

These forms are MUCH easier to work with than the old forms I made from framing lumber! I think I am going to have to be a lot more careful taking the forms off however. So I am going to give them at least 2 days, possibly even 3 before I even attempt to remove the forms.

I also changed up the formula for the concrete. Instead of just using Sakrete. I used a 60# bag of Sakrete and added 2 quarts of sand and 1 quart of Portland cement to the mix with 3 quarts of water. It seems to be much smoother. I also changed the way I vibrate the forms. Instead of just tapping the forms with a mallet, I used my Sawzall without a blade to really vibrate them well. The Sawzall trick really did a much better job plus it was a whole lot faster and easier.

A future installment will be photos of taking them out of the forms. In the meantime, I am going to take the tractor out into the steer pasture and collect as much steer and donkey shit as I can and get a manure pile started for when I have to fill the gardens.

Next week I actually have to work (can you imagine?!?), but I think I have the week following free. So I may try to get some water lines buried in between pouring more panels then.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Baglady (03-21-2020),Broncosfan (03-21-2020),hawgrider (03-21-2020),Innkeeper (03-23-2020),MountainGirl (03-21-2020),Slippy (03-21-2020),StratMaster (03-21-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,357 Times in 1,524 Posts
    Dang that's a lot of work to make the things that make the things that make the beds... but it'll sure be pretty in the end!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Baglady (03-21-2020),Innkeeper (03-23-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 9,880 Times in 3,255 Posts
    I finally got 3 heavy coats of marine urethane on ALL sides of the version 2.0 forms.

This stuff is a serious pain in the neck to work with! But it is done and at least I did not have to worry too much about a few drips and runs since its only purpose is to protect the wood.

These forms are MUCH easier to work with than the old forms I made from framing lumber! I think I am going to have to be a lot more careful taking the forms off however. So I am going to give them at least 2 days, possibly even 3 before I even attempt to remove the forms.

I also changed up the formula for the concrete. Instead of just using Sakrete. I used a 60# bag of Sakrete and added 2 quarts of sand and 1 quart of Portland cement to the mix with 3 quarts of water. It seems to be much smoother. I also changed the way I vibrate the forms. Instead of just tapping the forms with a mallet, I used my Sawzall without a blade to really vibrate them well. The Sawzall trick really did a much better job plus it was a whole lot faster and easier.

A future installment will be photos of taking them out of the forms. In the meantime, I am going to take the tractor out into the steer pasture and collect as much steer and donkey shit as I can and get a manure pile started for when I have to fill the gardens.

Next week I actually have to work (can you imagine?!?), but I think I have the week following free. So I may try to get some water lines buried in between pouring more panels then.
    I'm serious Inor,

Please save those Jigs for me, I'll hang them on the wall they look so dang good!

Funny true story about one of my first "jobs"....The last time I heard, "Save those Jigs for me"...I was about 14 years old and working weekends and summers for a local Tree Farm. The owner of the Tree Farm would go to the local Feed and Seed Store looking for day laborers. Me and few other of the cash workers would sit in the back of the owner's pick up while he "procured" some day labor in South Alabama in the 1970's!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-23-2020),Inor (03-22-2020)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,147 Times in 1,867 Posts

Neat idea using the sawzall!
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-22-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I was going to leave the forms on until tomorrow, so Mrs Inor and I spent most of the day cutting and splitting firewood. But when we finished the wood, I just could not control myself so we removed the forms late this afternoon.

Name:	IMG_20200322_153219668.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	10214

This version of the forms seems to be the perfect formula. They do require a little more care to remove the sides than the old forms, but it is still not difficult. Also the forms held their perfectly square corners even after they dried completely. That is huge, since that was the major problem with the first version. Also, deciding to bolt the pieces together instead of using wood screws was definitely the right choice. The marine varnish filled in the grain in the plywood so there is absolutely no telegraphing of the grain into the panels.

I am calling this version of the forms an absolute unqualified success!

So now, only 66 more panels to pour and I will be done with this particular project. (Mrs Inor seems to really like them, so I am sure I am going to be reusing these forms in the future. - Slippy, if you want me to make you a set, just pay for the materials. Now that I have done them once, they are pretty easy to make.)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-23-2020),hawgrider (03-23-2020),Innkeeper (03-23-2020),MountainGirl (03-22-2020),Slippy (03-22-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 830 Posts
    I was going to leave the forms on until tomorrow, so Mrs Inor and I spent most of the day cutting and splitting firewood. But when we finished the wood, I just could not control myself so we removed the forms late this afternoon.

Name:	IMG_20200322_153219668.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	10214

This version of the forms seems to be the perfect formula. They do require a little more care to remove the sides than the old forms, but it is still not difficult. Also the forms held their perfectly square corners even after they dried completely. That is huge, since that was the major problem with the first version. Also, deciding to bolt the pieces together instead of using wood screws was definitely the right choice. The marine varnish filled in the grain in the plywood so there is absolutely no telegraphing of the grain into the panels.

I am calling this version of the forms an absolute unqualified success!

So now, only 66 more panels to pour and I will be done with this particular project. (Mrs Inor seems to really like them, so I am sure I am going to be reusing these forms in the future. - Slippy, if you want me to make you a set, just pay for the materials. Now that I have done them once, they are pretty easy to make.)
    Those look fantastic Inor. I'm not sure I have the time to make them anytime soon but a future project I could see doing it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-23-2020),Inor (03-23-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    Those look fantastic Inor. I'm not sure I have the time to make them anytime soon but a future project I could see doing it.
    If/when you do it, give me a shout. I can give you a couple pointers on some shortcuts that I figured out (after doing it myself the long way).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-23-2020),Innkeeper (03-23-2020)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345