Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Gardening Thread

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Hi MrsInor! Before you do - I got just one thing to say.

HEY INOR

"So I told Mrs Inor to get the hose and soak the trench, thinking she would just..."

You "told" her? First mistake. Ask, you'll likely get anything. God you guys need to figure this out.
    Second mistake - thinking she knows "precisely" what you want her to do with those limited instructions.
    Next time, just get your ass off the tractor and go get the hose and put it where you want it.

Ok, that was more than one thing.
    Hell Yeah Mountain Girl! Don't take no shit from these freakin dudes around here! They all smell of booze, coffee and cigars. Nasty bastages they are...

Slippy figures he will placate the females and they might just get back in the kitchen and fetch a beer and get ready to lick some lolipops!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (05-31-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Hell Yeah Mountain Girl! Don't take no shit from these freakin dudes around here! They all smell of booze, coffee and cigars. Nasty bastages they are...

Slippy figures he will placate the females and they might just get back in the kitchen and fetch a beer and get ready to lick some lolipops!
    They might, they just might indeed!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Slippy (05-31-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    I finally got back to work on the gardens. I got the trenches dug for the water lines about a month ago and had started digging the trenches for the gardens after that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200726_132951586.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	12045

But we had not had any rain for about 3 months and the ground was harder than concrete. Even with the tractor I could barely dig through it. My plan was to dig 2 garden trenches about 50 feet long and about 5 feet wide and about 2 feet deep. But the ground was so hard I could barely get them 3 feet wide and well less than 2 feet deep. Even then, I could not even get them close to running straight.

My plan was to wait for the monsoons and hope they softened up the ground enough to dig, otherwise I was going to have to do it by hand using the pressure washer to break the ground up. That works pretty well, but it is a VERY slow and dirty process.

Well, I got my wish and we had a little over 2 inches of rain on Wednesday and Thursday last week. The rain filled the trenches and the water sat in them until today. Even after 4 days, one of the trenches still had standing water in it! So today I got out there with the tractor and got everything dug down nice and straight and as deep as I wanted to go!

Name:	IMG_20200726_133041635.jpg 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	12046

Name:	IMG_20200726_133005085.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	12047

This is HUGE win because I really did not want to be digging them by hand!

So now all I have to do is finish plumbing the irrigation lines and get some shoring in the sides of the trenches so the rains do not wash the sides into them. Then I can start filling them up with compost, manure and soil. I am going to be VERY glad to have this project behind me. This has been one of those projects that I knew I had to do, but it has been absolute torture to get motivated to do it.

These are actually the 3rd design for the gardens. My original plan was to do the cast concrete which I detailed here. My 2nd plan was to build raised beds out of steel but I just could not come up with an idea that I thought would look nice. The idea for these was Mrs Inor's and from how well they held the rain water this week, I think it is going to work out brilliantly. Here in the desert, we do not need to worry about water drainage. Our problem is the opposite; we need to keep as much water as possible in the gardens. The other concern we have is wind. So I am going to leave the garden soil about 6-8 inches below grade. That should give young plants a modicum of protection from the wind.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-27-2020),Slippy (07-27-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I finally got back to work on the gardens. I got the trenches dug for the water lines about a month ago and had started digging the trenches for the gardens after that.

Name:	IMG_20200726_132951586.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	12045

But we had not had any rain for about 3 months and the ground was harder than concrete. Even with the tractor I could barely dig through it. My plan was to dig 2 garden trenches about 50 feet long and about 5 feet wide and about 2 feet deep. But the ground was so hard I could barely get them 3 feet wide and well less than 2 feet deep. Even then, I could not even get them close to running straight.

My plan was to wait for the monsoons and hope they softened up the ground enough to dig, otherwise I was going to have to do it by hand using the pressure washer to break the ground up. That works pretty well, but it is a VERY slow and dirty process.

Well, I got my wish and we had a little over 2 inches of rain on Wednesday and Thursday last week. The rain filled the trenches and the water sat in them until today. Even after 4 days, one of the trenches still had standing water in it! So today I got out there with the tractor and got everything dug down nice and straight and as deep as I wanted to go!

Name:	IMG_20200726_133041635.jpg 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	12046

Name:	IMG_20200726_133005085.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	12047

This is HUGE win because I really did not want to be digging them by hand!

So now all I have to do is finish plumbing the irrigation lines and get some shoring in the sides of the trenches so the rains do not wash the sides into them. Then I can start filling them up with compost, manure and soil. I am going to be VERY glad to have this project behind me. This has been one of those projects that I knew I had to do, but it has been absolute torture to get motivated to do it.

These are actually the 3rd design for the gardens. My original plan was to do the cast concrete which I detailed here. My 2nd plan was to build raised beds out of steel but I just could not come up with an idea that I thought would look nice. The idea for these was Mrs Inor's and from how well they held the rain water this week, I think it is going to work out brilliantly. Here in the desert, we do not need to worry about water drainage. Our problem is the opposite; we need to keep as much water as possible in the gardens. The other concern we have is wind. So I am going to leave the garden soil about 6-8 inches below grade. That should give young plants a modicum of protection from the wind.
    Inor
    You sure have some interesting Gardening obstacles that most of us have never had to worry about!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Inor (07-27-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Now that all the water lines are buried and we are just waiting for the weather to cool a bit more before planting our last 5 fruit trees, I decided to take the day and brush hog the steer pasture. We had a horrible monsoon season (only about 3 inches of rain total). So the grass in the pasture is almost all dead and the only thing left alive are weeds. Coming into winter, we will hopefully get some rain and I wanted to make sure the little grass that is left does not get crowded out by the weeds.

So I got started on mowing the pasture and learned two important things: 1 - My brush hog will happily chop up 6 inch diameter yuccas with no problem at all. 2 - Chopping up a 12 inch diameter yucca will break the shear bolt on the brush hog.

I have broken shear bolts literally hundreds of times on my snowblower when we were living in Minnesota. I used to buy the things 20 at time. But I had never broken a shear bolt on a tractor before. Having to stop mowing for 2 hours while I drove the 35 miles (one way) to the next town to buy several new ones meant that I did not get the pasture completed today. But for whatever reason, I feel like this was a significant achievement in my conversion to being a true redneck. Life is good!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (10-06-2020),Innkeeper (10-06-2020),Slippy (10-06-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    I hear you and thanks for the reminder fall is here and I am down to 2 shear bolts for my snow blower. I should head down to the John Deere dealer and buy a half dozen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Inor (10-06-2020),Slippy (10-06-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Now that all the water lines are buried and we are just waiting for the weather to cool a bit more before planting our last 5 fruit trees, I decided to take the day and brush hog the steer pasture. We had a horrible monsoon season (only about 3 inches of rain total). So the grass in the pasture is almost all dead and the only thing left alive are weeds. Coming into winter, we will hopefully get some rain and I wanted to make sure the little grass that is left does not get crowded out by the weeds.

So I got started on mowing the pasture and learned two important things: 1 - My brush hog will happily chop up 6 inch diameter yuccas with no problem at all. 2 - Chopping up a 12 inch diameter yucca will break the shear bolt on the brush hog.

I have broken shear bolts literally hundreds of times on my snowblower when we were living in Minnesota. I used to buy the things 20 at time. But I had never broken a shear bolt on a tractor before. Having to stop mowing for 2 hours while I drove the 35 miles (one way) to the next town to buy several new ones meant that I did not get the pasture completed today. But for whatever reason, I feel like this was a significant achievement in my conversion to being a true redneck. Life is good!
    There is some sort of weird satisfaction when you push your equipment to the breaking point !!!

Pics of the garden please!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (10-06-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    need help
    i have some sugar watermelons can they grow in a bucket?
    had to make big changes due to my spine said "im done!" so im growing stuff out of buckets
    edit: i have both sugar babies / crimson sweet, dont know if that matters
    Last edited by Gambit; 04-26-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    need help
    i have some sugar watermelons can they grow in a bucket?
    had to make big changes due to my spine said "im done!" so im growing stuff out of buckets
    Yes, if you can keep them watered. Melons need almost full sun to grow, sun dries out buckets fast. Careful though to not flood them if there's no drain holes. If you can figure a way to shade just the bucket itself that will help it not heat up and cook the roots.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Denton (04-26-2021)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    ok ty.
    im putting everything in buckets now so it be less bending
    thanks again
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast