Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Gardening Thread

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Trial #1 did not go so well. The upside is the forms worked perfectly. They came off without even having to tap them with a hammer. That made me extremely happy because that was my biggest concern when starting

However the concrete looked like crap and was not very strong. I was actually able to break one of them just by pushing on it. It is possible that I did not let them dry long enough even though I gave them a full 24 hours. Plus, the finish on them looks like shit. I think the Sakrete had too large of aggregate in it and not enough Portland.

I took 2 of them out and will not use them. I left the other 2 still in the forms. I have to fly off tomorrow so I will leave those in the forms until next weekend when I get back. But I do not think I will use them.

I also need to come up with some kind of wire reinforcement to wrap around the PVC. I do have some of the cattle fence left over from building the steer pasture. Maybe that will work.

For trial #2, I bought a bag of Portland and some sand. I will try mixing it myself and see how that goes.

I guess on a positive note, I did learn 1 way NOT to make concrete garden beds.
    Inor,

I have thought about your project quite a bit today!

And I keep going back to the idea of simply building some plywood forms on the ground where you want the garden to be and getting a Cement Mixer truck to deliver and pour the cement. I'm assuming that you want the Raided Beds to be at least a couple of feet tall so you might need enough cement to justify a delivery?

Just thinking aloud on this one...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-02-2020),Inor (01-27-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Inor,

I have thought about your project quite a bit today!

And I keep going back to the idea of simply building some plywood forms on the ground where you want the garden to be and getting a Cement Mixer truck to deliver and pour the cement. I'm assuming that you want the Raided Beds to be at least a couple of feet tall so you might need enough cement to justify a delivery?

Just thinking aloud on this one...
    That might end up being what I do. Mrs Inor wants to start with 6 of them so that would require at least one truckload. But this is kind of fun, so I am going to try a couple more times with the forms first and see where we land. If I can get this figured out, it will be damn cool and I will be able to do a BUNCH of other stuff with it.

Plus, concrete is so cheap that even if I do end up throwing in the trowel , I am not out much.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (02-05-2020),Innkeeper (02-02-2020),MountainGirl (02-03-2020),Slippy (01-27-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    ...even if I do end up throwing in the trowel ...
    That was a good one, made me chuckle!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-27-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Update:

Version 0.1 of the garden panels came out much better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200202_110753732.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	9782

These are the same exact concrete mix as the first two, but they have been sitting in the forms for a week. I am still not entirely happy with the finish, but I think I can make that better by adding some Portland cement and a little more sand to the concrete mixture. So I think I am going to continue using the high strength Sakrete:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-...0940/100321247

The one thing I noticed about the Sakrete is that it is pretty inconsistent with how much cement is mixed into each bag. I think by adding some, it will be better.

Also, I do not think I vibrated it well enough when I poured the concrete. I was just tapping the forms with a hammer to vibrate it. So next time I think I am going to try using my sawzall without a blade to vibrate it better.

Also, this is the mesh I got from Homely Despot to put in the concrete:

Name:	IMG_20200202_112141796.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	9783

I think for the next batch, I am going to try using two layers of cattle fence. The wire is not quite as thick on the fence as the stuff I bought, but I think with two layers and the holes being smaller, it will be better.

Name:	IMG_20200202_112834110.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	9784

I do not think I will use these two panels on the gardens, or if I do, it will be on the back side where they will not show. But all in all I am pretty happy with how they came out for a proof of concept.

Also, the forms are working perfectly! Even after sitting for a week, they come off without any beating with a hammer. I just run a putty knife down the seams to cut the latex caulk and they pop right off. Before I poured the concrete, I sprayed them down real well with cooking spray. For the next batch, I might try coating the forms with cooking oil. I think we have a bottle of rancid Crisco in our preps that I need to use for something. (ADD moment: Rancid Crisco sounds like the perfect name for a punk rock band.) Also, they clean up very easily.

So overall, I am calling this one a success with only some experimentation required to get the concrete mix right.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (02-02-2020),hawgrider (02-02-2020),Innkeeper (02-02-2020),MountainGirl (02-03-2020),Slippy (02-02-2020),StratBastard (02-02-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Looking good Inor

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-02-2020),StratBastard (02-02-2020)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Not bad so far enjoying this thread so far. But means I need to start thinking about raised beds myself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-02-2020)

That is cool how they will interlock together.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-02-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Seeds are now ordered. I bought a new shelve unit to start plants on this year. I even got a new set of LED plant lights. So I need to get all of that together soon. I will start peppers at the end of the month. Tomatoes about 2 weeks later. Looking forward to getting this gardening season started.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-03-2020),Inor (02-04-2020),MountainGirl (02-03-2020)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Badass.
    my neighbor is remodeling a mobile home, I scored ALL the windows. I plan on building the wife a small greenhouse, probably about 8X12 with all the windows I can salvage. They are decent, but some are broken. I will evaluate and lay out, using the windows as roofing panels, A frame style.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (02-04-2020),Innkeeper (02-04-2020),Inor (02-04-2020),MountainGirl (02-15-2020)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    waiting on Tax refund to go rent a tiller, the wife WANTS a bigger garden, no raised beds this year.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (02-04-2020),Inor (02-04-2020),MountainGirl (02-17-2020)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast