Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greenhouse/Seed starting questions

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I do not know if your mountain sun is like ours. But here, even if it is cold outside (below freezing), the sun is still very warm. I would try raking the snow off the roof and see if the sun warms it above freezing inside. It might just work and with all the snow piled up around the greenhouse, it will certainly be insulated at night.
    It would, yes, if not for all the heat going up through the polycarb roof... but you gave me an idea. Next time I'm in town I'll pick up one of those remote temperature thingys - and put the sensor in there at shelf level where the flats would be, and the reader device here in the cabin so I can watch what the temp does. One of us is usually up at 3 to P and that hour should give a good overnight read. Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (02-18-2020),Innkeeper (02-19-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    If you cannot maintain a minimum of 70 degree soil temperature even at night your germination rate will be severally reduced. From by experience you will have a lot of trouble starting peppers for sure as most take 10 days plus for germination. Tomatoes are a little more forgiving and most will sprout within about 7 days. Bottom heat from grow mats make a huge difference in how fast and how many seeds actually sprout.
    70 degrees. It gets colder than that in the cabin overnight; usually winter mornings are upper 50s in here if we sleep through & dont feed the fire LOL
    Grow mats might be too much draw on the batteries, and I'd have to run a cord out there...but it's something for me to look into. Thanks!

I'm starting to get the idea there'll be difficulty with starting seeds early.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-19-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    70 degrees. It gets colder than that in the cabin overnight; usually winter mornings are upper 50s in here if we sleep through & dont feed the fire LOL
    Grow mats might be too much draw on the batteries, and I'd have to run a cord out there...but it's something for me to look into. Thanks!

I'm starting to get the idea there'll be difficulty with starting seeds early.
    Sorry I totally forgot you used batteries so the heat mats won't work. Anyways you said you already have to stuff bought so give it a try. You won't know until you try it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-19-2020),MountainGirl (02-18-2020)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    It would, yes, if not for all the heat going up through the polycarb roof... but you gave me an idea. Next time I'm in town I'll pick up one of those remote temperature thingys - and put the sensor in there at shelf level where the flats would be, and the reader device here in the cabin so I can watch what the temp does. One of us is usually up at 3 to P and that hour should give a good overnight read. Thanks!
    Knowing the temperature is a great idea. I actually invested in a weather station just becasue we couldn't rely on our local weather forecasts. I have a sensor in the greenhouse now so I know exactly what the temperature is with a glance on the monitor from inside a warm house. It beats waking up to find the temperature dropped lower than expected and scrambling to try to get some heat on to limited the damage at 3 am.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (02-18-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to germinate and start my garden indoors again, just a month earlier.

After I figure that out again, I can copy what MG is doing.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    Why not start some cold weather plants, lettuce, cabbage, carrots..to get a hang of, and a jump start on your growing season? Not right now, but sometime in March?
    Would one solar panel, like from Harbor Freight, be enough to run a heat bulb?
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-19-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to have a green thumb, it's just the power hours at work that complicate things.

Turning on the grow light as I type.

Cold weather plants do well here.

Thinking brussel sprouts also.
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (02-19-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12