Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me ride my mower

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,110 Times in 3,901 Posts

Help me ride my mower

I inherited a riding lawn mower with the new house. Only problem is it won't go vroom vroom. I turn of the ignition and I get nothing. No click, no buzz, nothing. I bought a new battery thinking it might be that but no, still nothing.

I pretty good with normal vehicle maintenance but not great at troubleshooting something like this. My first thought is an ignition wire is lose. Any thoughts?
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,205 Times in 1,558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I inherited a riding lawn mower with the new house. Only problem is it won't go vroom vroom. I turn of the ignition and I get nothing. No click, no buzz, nothing. I bought a new battery thinking it might be that but no, still nothing.

I pretty good with normal vehicle maintenance but not great at troubleshooting something like this. My first thought is an ignition wire is lose. Any thoughts?
    try the solenoid if its an older mover you can check it by crossing a screwdriver a crossed the posted and see if it tries to start

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

KnuteFartne (03-05-2020),Sasquatch (03-07-2020)

Got butthurt in August 2021 Back Pack Hack's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,182 Posts
    Might be a safety switch somewhere. Under the seat is a common one. Are the blades disengaged?
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Back Pack Hack For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (03-06-2020),KnuteFartne (03-05-2020),Sparkyprep (03-05-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,104 Times in 10,465 Posts

It's a snowflake mower! You feed it. You maintain it. You pay for insurance on it. But it cannot be expected to do anything for you! My best advice is: pour gas all over it and set it on fire!!! And then scream BERNIE SUCKS!! BERNIE SUCKS!!! BERNIE SUCKS!!! at it as long as you can until it explodes. Then bring the marshmallows.

It may not mow your grass, but it will sure be a fun time!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-05-2020),Innkeeper (03-04-2020),KnuteFartne (03-05-2020),Sasquatch (03-07-2020),Slippy (03-05-2020),StratBastard (03-05-2020),TJC44 (03-04-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,266 Times in 4,330 Posts
    Without pictures, . . . it didn't happen.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-05-2020),Innkeeper (03-04-2020),KnuteFartne (03-05-2020),Modfan (03-12-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,034 Times in 7,028 Posts

Build a bunch of raised beds and plant a huge vegetable garden in your lawn. Leave a small amount of lawn grass to mow to appease your wife since she owns the va-gina. Buy a battery powered push mower to mow the small amount of lawn grass that you have left.

I know a guy who knows a guy who did this...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-05-2020),Inor (03-05-2020),KnuteFartne (03-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Might be a safety switch somewhere. Under the seat is a common one. Are the blades disengaged?
    Also a reverse safety switch these days.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    try the solenoid if its an older mover you can check it by crossing a screwdriver a crossed the posted and see if it tries to start
    Also a firm blow with a BFH to the starter motor may free up a stuck starter solenoid.

Get a 12 volt test light to help see where the juice is and isn't.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (03-05-2020),BucketBack (03-06-2020),Innkeeper (03-05-2020),Inor (03-05-2020)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    If its a craftsman or similar, they have a fuse, a seat safety switch, a clutch safety switch, wont start if the blades are "engaged" all kinds off stuff, that can usually be defeated, buy jumping the solenoid, and a good hot battery.
    I am getting pretty good at messing with them, I purchased my sixth one last night, for 50 bucks, the extra seat and good set of tires he threw in were worth the 50...
    Get me picture, look under the hood for a blown fuse, and well go from there.
    There is also a 50 cent diode that pops, and wont allow the battery to charge up while its running...
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (03-06-2020),Innkeeper (03-05-2020),KnuteFartne (03-05-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Also a reverse safety switch these days.
    and a blade engaged cut off. Best thing I can recommend is take your batter connect jumper cable to ground and then positive to starter. If it turns over then its purely a wiring issue where there is bad ignition switch, clutch engagement switch, etc. Use a simple voltmeter and continuity check to then trouble shoot until you find it.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (03-07-2020),KnuteFartne (03-06-2020),Sparkyprep (03-05-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast